1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Oh go on then one more time "

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Mar 8, 2008.

1. macky

macky New Member

You lads need serious HELP!!!

made my arse twitch just lookin at the pics :laugh:

2. j sutton

j sutton New Member

cracking report some good pics too

3. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done lads, great report and great pic's as usual... :yes: :happy:

4. langy

langy Rockling

great pictures there lads you must be mad to go down there wiv no harness :scare:
    well done there and a nice fish :happy:

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yes we thought that once at the bottom....the tides caught us out for where we intended to go.....but at the end of the day it was our choice and we made the descent very carefully.....but as I say our choices......and yes i ve got pm's telling me off for not using the right climbing gear and potentionally putting Bempton access at risk because of posting this thread detailing out reckless antics !!
    So please no more pm's telling me what i should or shouldn t do what kit i should or shouldn t use....i weigh up the risks to myself and then make my decisions and the anti's have bigger issues over the litter,line etc off the tops than lil ole worm scurrying down a cliff without a harness.
    I know of a lot of other anglers who fish that area and go up and down the more extreme descents without safety gear.
    I m not saying safety gear isn t necessary...I know what i could have used but it was my choice to attempt it without and havingt gone down there I probably wouldn t do it again without being clipped on ,but I m old enough to make my own decisions.
    Afterall the cliff fishing has always had its risks and the ropes in place now are a a damn sight safer than the old climmers used dangle off.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
    So worm is taking his bat and ball home and shall be careful not to report which cliffs I ve been dangling off again harness or no harness !!

Cheers Jellyworm :secret: :secret: :secret:

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Difficult call Dave. I don't fall for this anti argument. They'll hate you anyway, even if its because you wear leather shoes. Like you say if your daft enough to go down there then its your choice. As far as Im aware there isnt any laws to stop you is there ?. People climb everest with a high chance of death but they still go there. Live life while you can, your a long time in a box mate. Having said thjat you have harnesses so you should wear them. We would miss your posts if you were to meet your makers down there. :wink: what do others think ?

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You do what you want Jelly, it,s your choice. If others think it,s not safe thats fine, just don,t come preaching! There,s many other sports/pastimes far more dangerous. Your,e not putting anyone else at risk, not doing anything against the law and you enjoy it. You have no one to answer too. I go down and if I fall it,s good night ramrod, not something that I would enjoy but thats how I want to live my life. I still believe that the next accident to happen at Bempton will be from falling rocks! We all know that,s a danger even the lads who walk on but they still do it, for all the same reasons as the lads who climb down, for the love of a days fishing in a fantastic place, it,s a risk they,re prepared to take.

8. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

take no notice jellster ,we still love ya :cheesy: whether you fall 400 foot at bemo or 80 foot at gristhorpe the end result will generaly be the same :wink
    you don't have to fall far to :death:
    well said ramrod give me a hard hat any day then a harness :yes:

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

Thats interesting Wec :happy: I'm confused as to why you backed the "no ascent or decent of Birdash" during the filey festival? You must be jealous of the Scarboro boys who climb it :ugly: :whistle: :butt: Also,the name Monty Burton springs to mind...tight lines

10. newdave

newdave Guest

think there are two sides to this one worm, I am a great advocate of the rights of the individual & agree in part, & before i get a blasting i am not saying what you did on this occasion was reckless but there is a limit as to what is calculated risk & what might put others at risk(the emergency services) . We alll agreed that the people who tried to sail out of whitby in a bath tub & consequently perished had risked the lives of others. prior to there departure they may have said it was their right to take whatever risk they felt appropriate.

I have done alot of offpiste sking, including sking above vertical cliffs and on glaciers, a mistake would result in death & as a consequence you must take the maximum precautions, always go with a guide, avalance transciever, good equipment. some folk head off on ther own without any of that and usualy survive, are they reckless or good ?

reading your thread, it was obvious that both you and Rob, whilst pleased with the result had agreed that it could be done more safely with correct equipment. by you own admission letting go of the rope would have resulted in death or very serious injury, what about the helicopter crew that would have had to scrape the mushy bits into a bag :vomit:

Personally i think you are wrong to be pissed with the folk who PMed you as i hopefully they were acting out of concern, rather than having ago :wink:.

summing up, personally whilst i support the right to take personal risk providing they dont impact others & i will be making some of those descents this summer, i will also be purchasing some good climbing ropes & gear along with getting some exspert tuition, anybody fancy a weekend climbing course somewhere, might be a bit of fun as well as educational.

11. robq

robq Rockling

I agree with the above comments, it is down to personal choice what we do and as mentioned there are a damn site more dangerous hobbies and pastimes out there !!

I do have a harness with good ropes, and ascenders/descenders and I do use them most of the time. however as Worm pointed out we got caught out by slightly misstiming the tide and the bigger than forecast seas . We both agreed that safety gear would be essential next time out and that after observing the loose rock will both be wearing hardhats next time too :yes: :yes:

Bempton is an amazing place and although not for everyone, most people love to read about it and look at pics of it !! I know that I do, which is why Worm put up the report. Sorry if anyone was offended or upset by it but I do think that the litter issue up there is of greater concern :angry: :angry: and has the potential to cause us the loss of fishing on there

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

To be fair Wormster,nobody has slated you on here for being reckless,i think the general opinion is to wear a harness next time,people are only saying this so if,and i hope to god nobody does,you make a wrong move,you will dangle happily on a rope rather than thinking ohhhhhh siht this is gonna hurt,on the way down.Most people have commended you and Rob for the write up and pictures,keep it up lads,it makes great reading....tight lines

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Smokes...you and a lot of the other lads on here have been fantastic this past season with advice and tips ..and its been great meeting you along the way at some of "your" venues :wink: :wink:
    Ray thankyou, my sentiments exactly.
    Newdave......I think I have every right to be pissed off........what gives anyone the right to start telling me what I should or shouldn t do as long as though what I m doing doeasn t break any laws......as for the helicopter crew picking up the pieces....well as above the rock falls present far more obvious danger but how many anglers do you see in hard hats ?
    The thing is what really grips my sh*t is when people who I have never met use forums to "tell" people what they should and shouldn t do.
    I post on several forums and correct me if I m wrong but you'll struggle to find posts with me directily telling people what they shoulod and shouldn t do.

To reiterate Mart, you and the rest of the great anglers on here who have helped me so much this year i thank you all. For the constructive inputs that always leave the decisions to me never telling me what I should or shouldn t do again thankyou, in return I try to give a little back by giving you guys something to read that might just put a smile on your face, I don't post illegal access points,I don't condone any bad practices in my posts yet still some feel the need to tell me off.

To those who want to tell me off and dictate what i should do......no thankyou, advice yes dictation no thankyou.

To all those pioneers of North Yorkshire Rock angling....I SALUTE YOU !!.....Thank god nobody was telling them "you shouldn t do that you shouldn t do this."

Rant over I m off to the pub now. :happy:

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i was at the meeting when bird ash was banned smokester, and i never voted to banning it ,and i'm still not sure it was a totally fair call as other places are as dangerous,its certainly a massive ad vantage going down the ladder ,but i also feel for the people who can't walk as far as you need to, going the other way,but where do you draw the line,some have 4x4s some don;t ,some don't work and collect bait all day ,some can't.
    i have never personally objected to the ladder ,its the so called ownership of it i object to.an elite few who put it up did'nt want any one else to go down it ...........in effect they wanted it all to themselfs,not ramrod i might add.
    some anglers were never happy with others going down because of the increased competetion
    when we used to go down ,pre ladder days we put a new rope down ,and left it there to make it safer. on our next visit the rope had been removed ,and later left at pete farnell's house .
    why remove a brand new rope ,the only conclusion we could draw from this is they did'nt want us down there.more than once anglers have recieved a mouth full of slaver for using this decent including a certain young mr ramrod (recieving not giving)
    it 's more for this reason than the use of ropes, that i finally made my mind up(but only just), but i can say in fbas 's defence they upset 6 anglers and made 130 very happy with there ban .
    cheers bilster :gum: :kiss:

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

This is a sample of the sort of pm's I have been recieving, copied and pasted. Please tell me where I have been abusive to newdave or anyone else IN MY POSTS ABOVE as I can t see it ?
    Newdaves pm to me.
    I haven t been abusive,if so show me where and feel that the above message should be on the open forum, to demonstrate what I ve been receiving.
    Its not a case of not hearing others opinions it is about not directly telling people what to do.

The thing is all the posts after the original one I and rob agreed safety gear essential....so what is the problem ?

Cheers JELLYWORM. :happy: :happy:

16. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Enjoyed the report Worm. I'd have paid to see your faces if you'd got all the way down there and found someone else tucked into the ledge. :laugh:

17. robq

robq Rockling

Right lads lets call time on this now before it gets any worse :yes: :yes:

whatever your stance is on this debate, it is obvious that some people will never agree :no: :no:

However its not worth falling out over !! The thread was NOT designed to promote a heated argument but to provide some good reading with a few good pics to boot !!

lets agree to disagree and leave grown adults to do whatever they choose to do :yes: :yes: after all it is a free country (for now anyway ) :whatever: :whatever:

Rob

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Extreme fishing ......tops .........

I can imagine it :laugh: :laugh:..... :educated:guess.....

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Agree rob.....but one last message....if anyone disagrees post it on the forum not pm ....thankyou. :happy:

20. andycod

andycod New Member

great reading jellyworm and well done dont think it will be long before you and some of your friends will be wining a match or two ,the reason been you are prepared to go the extra bit it takes. dont worry what others think about climbing cliffs there is no difference falling from the top of the ladder at the back of the brigg to any other ladder or rope the outcome will be the same!! once again well done on your report and i would consider a hard hat next time you will know what i mean!!!