1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Oh go on then one more time "

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

After the last couple of trips resulting in nothing more than a long drive and an empty fish bag "The Southern Raiders" decided on one last trip up to the rock seeing as there had been a bit of sea and a decent set of tides in to the bargain.
    After a little deliberation Rob and I decided on "Roll up " at Bemmo. I was on nights and so it was going to be tight with the tide to get down and round the cut off toards the first scaur.
    Met the robster and it was blowing a hoolie off the tops with a slight cross in the wind so tops was not an option.

Once at the top of the get down it was clear that the tide was against us and we'd left it too late, so faced with two options now go somewhere else or go down the "alternative route next to Stale Newk.
    A bit of forward planning meant Rob had brought along a good length of climbing rope and so with the smell of fear in the air we looked for a suitable point to fix the rope seeing as the top section isn t roped.

Rob looked at me then looked over the edge then back at me with a look of "Shall we go to Thornwick" on his face, " nah come on Rob lets get this done now before I talk myself out of it !!" (you go first though Rob ....lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right thas the easy bit done rob.....careful !!

It has to be said that it didn t look like anyone had been this one for a long time, and really the ropes need changing and the pins re doing as they are less than secure in places....but we only found that out half way down and it was too late to go back up.

Had to stop at the foot of the second rope as both of us had pumped arms like popeye from dangling off the verticle ropes !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next sections had suffered from quite a lot of rock slips and the going was very tentative to say the least,
    but at least we were nearly down ! :happy:

[​IMG]

Look carefully you can just see the Worm doing an impression of a nesting Guillimot on the last section down.
    [​IMG]

Once down I needed twenty minutes to calm down but we were right on a decent fishing ledge over high tide.

The fishing began in ernest and before long Rob was pulling in a fish of 2-3lb but unfortunately dropped it in the backwash.
    For me the action was a little slow to get started and Rob soon had a mop of just under 2 lb in and so worm got his head down to fish hard as the darkness fell.

Wasn't long before the AFAW Rock was tapping away and a mop up with me....at last the run of blanks was broken. Following the barren spell I have been looking at my rigs long and hard and have made a few small changes and the hook hold of the fish was good and it looked like the changes had been for the good.
    [​IMG]

Rob didn't have a geat session fish wise and to quote "Shaped like a fanny"......lol.....poor lad dropped at least four fish on the way in and missed god knows how many bites....if he'd made contact and got in all the fish he'd have sacked up....suppose thats fishing though.
    Rob did manage a little consolation though....
    [​IMG]

Next half an hour or so was very hectic with me managing another mop and then a nice piglet of 7lb , put a smile on my chops !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all a great trip out and thankfully we were able to come up the conventional route and not the way we went down.....wouldn t like to even attempt that in the dark.......That's it now rods away until the yakking starts.......maybe anyway.

Cheers Jellyworm.

2. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

As always a great report jelly,Plus some great photo's,Bet u were glad to see the rod knocking away,glad to hear your dry spell is well behind u. :wink:

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Nice report Dave,good to see you both getting among em,from experience,i'm thinking you might have legs like lead today :wink: :happy:

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Wasn't too bad Smokes, this morning though it was my arms as for the first hlaf of the descent you are just hanging by your arms as the foot holds have all but fallen......you really need a descending device for that get down as it wasn t the most sensible tackling a near verticle descent with no safety devices and knowing what it is now like i d rather be able to rest against the descender instead of dangling by the arms 300 ft up a cliff !
    That saying of "Do something once a day that scares you !"...lol....feels goooood to be alive... :happy:

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

If you intend going down "the back door" again,you really should look into getting a harness sorted,one false move down there and it's see you later :wink: tight lines

6. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great report JW and classic pics - looks like we'll see you down there in September :wink:

7. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

brave bunny's you lads :scared: well done entertaining as ever jellster ,i find the old prussak loop is good for roll up

8. robq

robq Rockling

Good angling Dave :yes: :yes:

Shall not be doing that cliff again without protection and and hardhat again though :no: :no: it makes birdash look like a walk in the park :crazy: :crazy:

Oh and Cheers for showing me your new succesful rigs mate !! I have blatantly copied them today after dropping and missing all those fish :whistle: :whistle:

COME ON !!!! the southern raiders :wink: :wink: :yes: :yes:

9. newdave

newdave Guest

well done worm, glad i have missed all the exciting stuff really, imagine going through all that just to get two birdsnests and storm off in a huff :sad: :sad:
    I take it the blue thing was Robs bait :butt:

See you afloat Soooon :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Been a good winter you've missed Dave,loads of cold days,rain howling gales....you know all that great weather you just love fishing in... :wink: :wink:

Ready for summer yakking now though. :happy:

When you back ?

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great pics and report , that last vertical cliffe face looks like it could be fun ........ :surprise:

12. newdave

newdave Guest

Got back in UK on tuesday, am currently demobbing the boat in Peterhead and should be home for the summer on Tuesday, dont think i will be able to wear my favourite fishing clothes yet though :cool:
    [​IMG]
    good report, dont think i would fancy that in the dark. :crazy:
    looking forward to some good times to come :yes: :yes: :yes:

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

hooking fell that looks steep. If you decend that you'll decend anything. Youll be on Everest next. Did you wear a harness ?

14. robq

robq Rockling

I did think about packing it but really thought that we would get around the cut off from roll up !!! the sea was a bit bigger than we expected and forecast though :whatever: :whatever:

will do next time though :crazy: :crazy:

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You need sectioning mate. :laugh: :laugh:

16. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

Fortune favours the brave !!!!!!!!!!! : :scared: Good for you worm :wink:

17. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

good read that lads your mad, :tease: :crazy:

18. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done dave

19. robq

robq Rockling

Nice shorts mate :embarrass: :embarrass:

The big bass are all awaiting your return :yes: :yes:

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Great report guys, u definately mad. i once absailed as a sprog but don't think i would dare attempt that, remember we use to use a 'figure of eight' and a harness but there was always someone manning a safety line. Working too hard at the mo but looking forward to sping :wink: