1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ocean Trident 15 - What do you think ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What's people thoughts on this kayak ? does anyone own one ?

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/ocean-kayak-prowler-trident-15.php

;D

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Very good early reports Glenn.Have a look on Volusions site , there is a good review on there.

Cheers Worm ;D

3. MFC

MFC Blenny

are you sure its not a submarine????

4. Aikidojohn

Aikidojohn Hmm, that must hurt

I was at a meet two weeks ago, with two that had paid hard cash for them. They have good points, but they are a little high in the water is what I am being told. Not so sure that they would have got them if they new what they no now! They both said they would put there reports on anglersafloat but they have not as yet.

AJ 8)

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They do look a little high in the water which means more surface area for the wind :p I also would have thought that the higher you were would make you less stable when there was any movement on, and if the seat was slung low it would make it awkward to paddle ???

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Glenn.....go for either the Prowler 13 or the 4.5 elite....both good yaks one faster than the other but the other quiker to turn....(13 easier to turn 4.5 quicker)

Cheers Worm.

7. robq

robq Rockling

I like the look of some of the features on the trident like the big hatch that you can stow your rods in for launching and landing.
    However some of the reviews about it sitting a bit high are a concern ??? maybe wouldnt be a problem for me at 15 stone !! ::) ::)
    It would take a special Yak to drag me away from my 4.5 elite now I have a rudder kit on it Glenn, It will easily outpaddle and out turn any P13 :eek: :eek: ;D ;D

8. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

sounds like a toothpaste

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

After reading the excellent articles on this site me and a friend of mine (after much thought) are looking to get out first kayaks in the new year so we are just deciding which one to go for. Like the look of the Trident but not sure about the 'sitting high in the water' bit ??? The Prowler 4.5 Elite sounds like the way to go but not 100% sure. Is it worth spending out extra and buying the FFR (Fish Finder Ready) kayak or is easy enough to rig out yourself?

Apart from using them on the coast we'll be using them quite a bit on the rivers/lakes when Pike fishing so I guess we need something that can cover distance quite easily as well.

Any advice and pros/cons that we should look out for would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Sam

PS. should I of started a new thread (don't want be hijacking threads!)?

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Hi Sambo, fish finders are quite easy to fit yourself so I don't think it's important to by one specifically for that reason - I've seen a few comments regarding the high seat position in the Trident and this could be negative with wind etc. the best advice would be to try one first as everyone has different ideas - I believe the Ocean Kayak range is the best and well proven - have a look at the Trident, Elite, P15 and P13 and maybe the Big Game - this will give you a good idea of the range - one factor that you have to consider is how you handle the kayak out of the water for example lifting on to the roof rack, up/down cliff paths - for this reason I would go for the P13 - a lot of lads on here own one and I think they are more than satisfied with that model - hope this helps - just shout if you need anything - most will help on here

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Hi Quint (by the way, like the kayak article you did).

Cheers for the reply. Found a shop over Stockton way that sell Ocean kayaks so I'll contact them and see if they have some we can have a look at this week. Do you know anywhere that has the full range in stock? would make it easier for comparing I guess.

Aye, the P13 seems to get the thumbs up by everyone so could be the one to go for, but like you say worth looking at them all and see what suits me best.
    I'm not the biggest guy in the world so I don't want anything to big that I can't even lift onto the roof! Think I'll have to work on my upper body strength ;)

Have to say I can't wait to get one, love the idea of the freedom to go pretty much wherever you want (weather permitting!). Probably be the most enjoyable way to blank! :p Will totally change my Pike fishing as well.

Many thanks,
    Sam

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Try Robin Hood Water Sports at Leeds, sorry don't know number but just do a google search, they stock the Ocean Kayaks, they normally have a good range in, but at this time of year they may be a bit slack, they also have all the other bits that you'll need such as clothing etc

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that Quint. I think I'll have a drive down after Christmas and see whats in. Will be like a kid in a candy shop :D

14. newdave

newdave Guest

I love my P13 :-*, would not even consider the bigger jobs unless you are launching down a slip everytime, or are a particularly large person.

I think fishergirl is not to sure about kayaks either ;), I am just wondering which of the Filey members is going to be the first to crack & get one ???
    ;D ;D

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I imagine most of the launching I'll be doing will from a slipway/beach, but when Pike fishing lakes/rivers I may need to do some carrying so a big yak may not be the way to go.
    I noticed on one of the yakking sites that some people have fitted a minn kota elec motor to their Big Game yaks, is it possible to fit them to P13/Elites? I only ask as I have a minnkota sat in the garage and I could maybe use it for trolling lures on the rivers.

Cheers,
    Sam

16. newdave

newdave Guest

why would you want to sambo ??? i have trolled a lot with my p13, paddling is the perfect speed and no noise. even an electric trolling motor will have some noise & its another piece of kit to carry. keep it simple is the name of the game ;)

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Hi Newdave,

To be honest 99.9% of the time I wouldn't want a elec engine fitted as that's what paddles are for, and as you say it's another thing to carry. Would never use it when sea fishing, it was more for if I wanted to troll for Pike as it would help keep the lure at a constant depth/speed. Just thinking out loud that's all ;)