1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ocean Kayak Team Visit Skarnsundet Norway

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by MidlandYakker, Apr 29, 2014.

1. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Well, what can I say about this place.... Truly awesome!

It all started Thursday evening when I met Keith, Sophie (Keith's wife and official photographer) and Jim Marsh at Gatwick airport. A couple of drinks were consumed before we boarded the flight to Trondheim, getting us there for 23:30. There is a train from Trondheim airport to within 20 mins drive of Skarnsudet where Phill Dale collects you and takes you to the extremely nice apartments overlooking the Fjords and spectacular bridge. Breathtaking scenery.

DAY 1....

Phill said there may be some large Plaice lurking so we loaded the kayaks onto the trailer and headed 10 mins down the road to give them a bash. We failed miserably on the Plaice front but had some very large Dabs and Keith caught a Codling about 4lb. The weather was fantastic and with a millpond sea it was a special place to be. We decided to chuck the yaks back on the trailer and head to the next fjord along to give the cod a go. 5 minutes after being out we were into them and proving good sport on light tackle most being in the 4-8lb range. One of the boat had a couple of Plaice to just under 5lb.

[​IMG]

DAY 2....

Phill had clients to deal with today so we opted for a launch from the slip right next to the apartments....

[​IMG]

We paddled under the bridge and stuck to the right as the was a chance of a Pollock. Phill said is was perhaps a touch early but we gave it a go. Jim lost a good one at the side of his kayak estimated to be into double figures but mainly it was Cod taking the Jellies. Most again around the 4-8lb mark and again good sport. It won't be long before there will be Pollock in numbers along there.

Keith had a Coalie est 3lb.

[​IMG]

Photo of us from the bridge

[​IMG]

DAY 3....

Nice easy launch as is the norm.

[​IMG]

Today we returned to Borgenfjord (1st visit was day 1 afternoon) to track down some larger cod. We were on the water by 09:30 and we didn't return to shore until 7pm. We had an unbelievable day shad fishing. The slight breeze was slowly drifting us along the length of the Fjord fishing in about 20-30m of water. Cod were in numbers 4-10lb and I managed to winkle out this Cod that tipped the scales at 20lb. It was caught on a 20-80g travel spinning rod and my Abu MGXTREME reel with 20lb invisi-braid which was great fun. A new PB and and awesome fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice 9.5lber

[​IMG]

We continued to fish when I had another take but midwater. I knew it was a good fish but what happened next took me by surprise. It took off at such a rate of knots my reel was screaming and my rod was submerged down to the reel. To get a better grip on my rod to stop it going in I had to get my hand around the reel, in doing this i must've trapped the braid and SNAP! How gutted was I...!! I spoke to Phill about it and he said it sounded like a large Halibut... Gutted not to have done better but hey-ho! All 3 of us had lots of fish today so we all returned happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAY 4...

We had to leave for the airport just after lunch today so only went out for about 1 1/2 hours. Cod to about 7lb again but it was a special day for Jim and one I think he may remember.... Happy 65th Birthday!

Phill surprised Jim with a cake on the water which was magic... Not often you get a cake delivered to you whislt drifing in such an amazing venue.

[​IMG]

In summary this is one fantastic place. You can launch easily at many places and be into the fish just outside the apartments. If its windy you can usually find a sheltered spot. The depths are unbelievable, you can be in 6m one minute then 50m within a few yards and there are some huge Ling and Coalies lurking under that bridge but the water goes to about 230m! Maybe next time?!

I'm sure Keith and Jim will be along with more pictures and info to add. I am one happy kayak fisherman :)

A Big Thank you to Phill Dale at Skarnsundet Fjordcentre. You have a special place there.

A couple more Pictures taken by Sophie... Great job, Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Ocean Kayak Team Visit Skarsundet Norway

nice report Ian, hard look on the halibut. when you are used to the type of fishing we do it's not second nature to trust the drag and let it go for a while, also fishing light is great but when that monster takes you dont always have the power to deal with it as we found out in Mexico.

3. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Very true, Dave.

4. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report and some great pictures

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Some more photo's that I took....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure there's a caption to be added to this picture...!

[​IMG]

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

great report and pictures Ian Well done on catching your P B cod cracking Fish shame on the one you lost but hopefully it will be there next year and a little bigger Go get Him Tight-lines Alain