1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCEAN KAYAK HATCH COVER - mk 1 prowler hatch cover made

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Nov 10, 2008.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: mk 1 prowler hatch cover made

nice one dave , it looks the business. whats your RRP on these babies?!!

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

I don't blame you one bit Spawney for making your own.I bet it cost a fraction of the price the OK people were wanting,congrats on the ingenuity... tight lines

4. newdave

newdave Guest

will give it test drive first matty, but i have plenty of neoprene so probably a lot cheaper than ocean

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent work there Dave, if it works well and if Ken hasn't ordered the Ocean versions then you can put me down for one straight away :yes: :wink:

6. SteveCBR900

SteveCBR900 New Member

Just thought i would mention my experience with ny Prowler Big Game hatch. When the straps get wet they expand and allow the hatch to move off the seal so allowing water in if the kayak gets tipped. I never find more than a cupful in mine and even after a practise session of around 10 capsizes and the kayak spending a good 10 minutes upturned overall. Might be worth trying your hatch straps for stretching when wet in the garage just to see if there is any give - which if se will be worth wetting the straps before fastening them up and then pulling them tight, if they dry out once fastened they will pull the hatch down further. Am confident in the results my Prowler hatch on its own gives me, though its always true that you can never be too safe and neoprene cover is peace of mind if any doubt.

7. newdave

newdave Guest

agree Steve & i have not had any trouble with mine, but after a few lads had i checked mine and it had become loose. the neoprene is a belt to go with the braces

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well done Dave, I've put off ordering them after your suggestion of making them. One question tho mate, can you then put the plastic hatch back on top too as you can with the OK ones? If so then i reckon they will do the bizz......

Ken

9. newdave

newdave Guest

no problem ken, its nice soft neoprene so i think it will act as a bit of a gasket, hardest bit was keeping the first end in place as you stretch it over, solved that by putting some velcro on :yes: might need some big tubs of neoprene glue as the little tubes i got only do 1 cover.