1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OARFISH Washed Up On The North East Coast - RIBBON FISH

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Hairybeast, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

a few of these have been found up here
    the first one was found on Tuesday 24th Feb 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this one was found at hauxley on Monday 23rd Feb 2009
    [​IMG]
    and this one was also found at hauxley on 27th Dec 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if anyone happens or hears about one, i would appreciate the info and a photo if possible

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Re: Oarfish

dam thats a odd looking thing. was it washed up? and where abouts. wts the ground like where it would have been swimming?

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice to see them alan. What a remarkable colour they are. There was a woman got one of these last year down here. Not sure but it was somewhere like Skinnigrove or Port Mulgrave. They reckoned it weighed 130lb+ and she caught it on a spinning rod :whistle: :whistle: :evil:

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

:scare: :surprise:

5. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

Re: Oarfish Found On The North East Coast - RIBBON FISH

Looks more like a sea monster . I wouldnt like to bump into one of those on a dark night :scare:

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Weird looking things arn't they, is there much actually known about them?? heard that they were deep water fish, the one in the top pic looks very fresh.
    Remeber that so called one which was caught at Skinningrove a few years back, if my memory serves me right the lady was doing abit of mackeral spinning mid february after dark from the beach (like you do) :laugh: and ended up catching an oarfish instead... :whistle:

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

just typed ribbon fish in goggle and there are lots of things on them. there are a deep sea fish can be found north scotland iceland and the atlantic and the med. in scandinavia there been found about 2/3 fathoms (4-5 meters).

8. Record Eater

Record Eater Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some great footage on you tube of live ones ..one in particular ...sorry can't paste a link but if you search for.. 'Oarfish - Sea Serpent' it 's informative as well as really clear close up footage of a big live one that came into the shallows to die....beautiful creatures :sad:

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

greatest story ive ever heard that gary lol. It was caught on the jetty and she though she had hooked a mackerel, then it started fighting and she though she had hooked a bass.

Whats better is the papers believed and printed the story

10. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

there a deep water fish ducky. And i mean deep water. They come inshore to die .

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Remember that in the gazzette , :laugh: :laugh:

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

i like the fact that it was, well, not the freshest fish youll ver see ( crabs had already eaten its face) yet they claim to have caught it

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

evening gazette

15. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2787785.stm

not the oringional but tells the story

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

thanks gadget for that

17. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very popular in India we had a lot of Korean trawlers fishing for them in the Gulf of Arabia and the Gulf of Oman when I was working there a few yers ago, but I did not see them as big as that. The koreans towed midwater trawls for them. I have also seen them caught on rod and line in deep water off Muscat, bottom fishing with cuttlefish.

Cleeclive

18. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

it was actually way back in 2003 at Skinningrove, even for there size they are very light doubt it would have weighed that much and personally I don't think it was caught fairly, these fish are deep water fish, maily found in warmer climes, they come out of the sea when they are ready to die.

19. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

sorry missed where the first one was washed up, it came from Tynemouth, theother two from Hauxley

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

interesting .. The oarfish, or Regalecus glesne (king of herrings)

and the womans fishing partner was "robert herrings" :laugh: