1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norway & back part 3, Fjords & mountains

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by newdave, Jul 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. newdave

newdave Guest

Part Of A Three Post Series.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27154.0
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27160.0
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27172.0

Day 10 17/6/2012

So our week on Smola comes to an end & we say good by to our home for the last week & head off to the ferry,
    [​IMG]
    we were now tourists & took the Atlantic road from Kristiansund south, ts an amazing bit of civil engineering with first a tunnel, then a number of bridges connecting many small islands to form a road down the coast, some of the bridges are very popular with anglers spinning for coalie, also we saw severel groups of sea kayakers taking advantage of the beautiful weather,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we finished the day in a nice little campsite close to Molde,
    [​IMG]
    would have made a good location for some more fishing, but a change in the weather in the morning decided us to move on to the Fjords.

Day 11 18/6/2012

Some tourist driving to a narrow valley on a lake, we got out the hiking boots & walked to a waterfall with a very impressive drop, unfortunately the weather closed in a bit to spoil the view & later we had our first rain of the trip,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as it was pouring down we opted to rent a small cabin on a camp site rather than pitch the tent, nothing fancy but it allowed us to cook a meal in the dry.
    [​IMG]
    Day 12 19/6/2012

We head up one of Norways most famous tourist routes up the Trollstigen
    [​IMG]
    & arrive in the Girehanger Fjord, after sorting a nice campsite on the side of the Fjord & bumped into the resident angling guide who had just landed this beast of a billet, just under 20lb, apparently there were plenty of this stamp if you know where to fish !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a dabble but was not able to find anything like that size, so we headed to town to watch England scrape past the Ukraine. Its amazing how long you can make a pint last when its cost you £10 :crazy:

Day 13 20/6/2012

A drizzly morning, we headed of in search of these monster coalie, with plans to climb to a deserted farm perched high on the Fjord for lunch.
    We did manage to locate the shoals of Coalie that live in the fjord, but despite some fun with the 2-3lbers th big lads weren’t playing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So we hauled our kayaks out and made the climb to a plateau 600m metres above the Fjord where we had our lunch in a flower meadow, quite surreal that people made a living up here allegedly tethering there small children to prevent them falling off the cliff edge, they are now all deserted but maintained by the national parks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only downside to Gierhanger is its popularity with the cruise ships & coach tours, which means it becomes very crowded during the daytime.
    [​IMG]

Day 14 21/6/2012

So we packed our gear again & took the ferry down the Fjord to Hellysylt & the short drive to Norangsfjorden where we hoped to get a bit more solitude.
    [​IMG]
    The weather was absolutely beautiful when we arrived & I inquired at the local shop if there was anywhere we could leave our car while we paddled & camped on the Fjord. The reply from the shop lady was typically Norweigian, “of course you can use the slip down the road & leave your car there, certainly no one will touch it especially as I know its there”
    So with that we loaded up & paddled out into the Fjord,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the real problem with this type of trip is actually finding somewhere to get of the water & camp. Any large clear area will have a farm on it & most of the rest is steap & rocky with lots of trees, however we did manage to find a small beach with a small plateau formed by an old building foundation which was just big enough to pitch our tent on, so we made a campfire on the beach & watched the dolphins hunting fish,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also had a go spinning and hooked but lost a small sea trout. Still 20degs at midnight & no cruise ships. There is obviously some amazing kayak trips to make in Norway, but there is some planning required for campsites as we only found one other possible location on 20 miles of Fjord, although I am sure that a request to most of the farmers would be met with an invitation to pitch on there land.

Day 15 22/6/2012

Another glorious day, we packed our gear & paddled to the head of the valley for a look around the small village of ? , another idilicic if rather quiet place, a farmer stopped for a chat, told us that he lived in the small village of ? down the Fjord, he had seen us crossing in the morning, obviously not much happens in these parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After lunch we paddled back to our launch site & packed to move on, whilst getting an icecream at the shop we spoke to a yatchie who told us of another small place further down the Fjord that has no road access but does have a pub, apparently a few boats tie up there at weekends & it usually turns into a party(too late we already packed). So a few more scenic miles & we stop just past stryn to camp on a small lake bellow the Jotemhiem national park

Day 16 23/6/2012

A day touring the high tundra of the Jotemhiem, snow & more dramatic scenery finally we stop at a small camp on a lake, deciding to rent a cabin as it looked like rain & we didn’t fancy pitching the tent, just as we were enjoying our evening beer, this cround of Norwiegen kids arrives with canoes & swimming gear for an hour of chaos, got to say thy are hard cases as the water is not that warm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 17 24/6/2012

We cross Sognefjord & make our way to Voss for the first day of the Extreme sport week, we were hoping to catch up with the local lads who were there for a bit of whitewater, we had decided to splash out on a hotel so we could be in town & watch the football in the evening, having found a hotel we headed down to watch the freefall lads performing all sorts of amazing stunts & landings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Things suddenly took a bad turn when my phone went & it was Ken calling to let me know that Jason had arrived in Voss yesterday & had been lost in a kayaking accident, my inquires soon confirmed that this was unfortunately true, also that there was now little hope of him being recovered alive. Suddenly extreme sport was not so interesting & whilst we watched the football it was really of no consequence. :sad:

Day 18 25/6/2012

After yesterdays news we were a bit down & decided to make our way back east, a long drive over the Hardangavidda with a stop at the power station at Rjkuan scene of the famous heros’s of Telemark operation to destroy the heavy water & a visit to the museum. We then drove on finally calling it a day at Moss in oslo Fjord.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 19 26/6/2012

Drive from Moss to Gothenburg, we were not sailing until 8pm so we stopped at Halden on the border to use up our remaining NOK, then down to the pretty Swedish seaside town of Lysekil
    [​IMG]
    where we had a nice lunch in the sunshin of all the shrimp you can eat unfortunately without the white wine as I was driving. We finally found our way through the docks & joined the Seaway Magnolia & settle in for our trip back to Immingham, our fellow guest were a couple of hgv trucks, a furniture van & 2 Swedish lads on Harleys going for a holiday biking around Scotland. We all enjoyed a cheap beer before getting a good nights sleep
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 20 27/6/2012

A long day which gave me the time to type up this blogg, hoping to land around 22:00
    [​IMG]
    & be home for midnight, just long enough to cut the gass befor getting ready for Runswick.

hope this is of help to anyone contemplating a similer trip, plenty more pictures on Flickr & if anyone whants help just let me know, my overall opinion of Norway has not really changed, Scenically the most beautiful place, the friendliest people, but it really is exspensive :yes:

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

stunning pictures dave. would love to go there sometime, what a wonderful country

3. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

great read and pictures again thanks for sharing

4. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

truly stunning pictures and report thanks gonna have a look at flicr now

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that dave, apart from Jason going missing. Stunning pictures. Quite surreal seeing those passenger ships in those fjords especially when you can't see how they got in!

6. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Mother nature's masterpiece :cool: stunning place and a brilliant report....well done ..mick. :wink:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report again Dave and what a place! Really is a stunning place and hopefully one day I'll be able to afford to visit Norway, that's my kind of holiday :yes:

8. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

Simply magic, you did well to find beer at a tenner a pint last year I paid £12!! Only six weeks for me now for my 2nd trip. Anyone who can go to Norway should, what a magical place. Great read Dave and thanks its been great to see.

cheers

dave

9. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

great read again dave,not sure about the grass on the roofs,it bad enough cutting back garden
    might be a daft question dave ,but is there any tide in the fjords

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cracking report and pics dave . Looks stunning there .thanks for sharing . :yes:

11. newdave

newdave Guest

not much exept in a few places where it channels through narrow bits, we pretty much ignored it

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16642.0

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What an amazing report , fantastic pictures , well done to all of you

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Part Of A Three Post Series.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27172.0

15. erbanfox

erbanfox Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great pictures cheers :happy:

16. highhat

highhat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I just sat reading your blogg over breakfast.................fantastic..............thanks for sharing that with us pictures are stunning Hope i bump into you at runswick sometime.