1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norway & back part 2, Smola

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by newdave, Jul 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. newdave

newdave Guest

Part Of A Three Post Series.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27154.0
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27160.0
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27172.0

On reflection we rather wasted the time here with regard to fishing & just did not apply ourselves mostly due to having such a good time just being there. I think if I had had another yakker there to push me a bit it would have been different but Marion likes her fishing easy :wink: however we did enjoy some great sport & by the end of our stay I had a much better feel for it, next time I will be able to hit the ground running. heres a look at our acomadation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 4 11/6/012

I struggled to sleep with the all night daylight & was on the water in the kayak at 6 for an hour,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but despite assurances that the some Germans had heaps from there last week I had no joy so it was back home for breakfast & then we headed out in the boat with Odd, conditions were difficult with a NE breeze making the best locations hard to fish with the speed of drift, Marion got a few with shads & I got less but nothing of any real size & it was left to Odd to show us the way with a couple of Cod about 10lb to his traditional Norwegian pilke, after lunch we went to a sheltered bay in 10m & caught a few more Cod but only Odd could find the better fish, we had our instructions on use of the boat which was ours to use when we wanted.
    [​IMG]
    sensibly with all the rocks & islands he has opted for aluminium boats, hope the props are rubber :laugh:

Day 5 12/6/2012

A nice Sunny day, but the NE wind continued to blow so we opted for a tour of the island & a picnic lunch, it is a holiday after all. A few photos from Veiholmen which is a lovely fishing town situated at the end of a chain of small islands
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 6 13/6/2012

Don’t think I am taking this fishing seriously enough, same weather only colder & duller so we went on a tour with the Rockpool & Marion in her Marlin, the navigation is quite challenging with so many small islands but it means you can always find a lea side to get out of the wind,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we stopped for lunch in what would be a lovely bay if it wasn’t for the terrible pile of fishing garbage, its time they taxed the fishing industry to clear up there crap, some of those fish boxes came from Scotland !
    [​IMG]
    , Must say that Marion did really well in the Marlin, we covered about 25km & the return was into a stiff breeze, the bonus was a Sea Eagle sitting in a tree, only a juvenile but still impressive, there are lots of these about but they are not easy to get close to.
    [​IMG]
    A nice bowl of pasta & the last bottle of red for tea, the wind is forecast to decrease tomorrow so we are hoping to give the fishing another go.

Day 7 14/6/2012

We take the boat on our own, fortunetly I had a competent skipper
    [​IMG]
    and have a good day catching codling, once again nothing massive, but plenty around 8lb on light tackle, the twintails were particularly deadly & we took a box full of the better fish back for Odd who needed some fish for his sister who lives a little way from the sea.
    [​IMG]
    In the evening we went on a mission to catch some flatfish, marion was not keen on bait fishing so just opted to jig with some small hokies, anyway I think I got the location wrong as Marion had a struggle with a double of big red 8lb Cod & I got on a little bigger on a small flattie rig.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 8 15/6/2012

An early start & our best day for weather, Odd took us out to a deep area (60-150m) which is known to throw out bigger fish, tactics were whole coalie on a pennel. Once again odd showed us the way, with a mixed bag of ling, cod & Pollock, Marion managed a few with a best being a nice 11lb Cod, I was a complete blanker, although I had a very good fish half way up before it came off,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    unfortunetly the afternoon was a right off due to gin on the terrace & wine with a bbq :whatever:
    [​IMG]

Day 9 16/6/2012

It suddenly dawned that our time was running out & we had not really done any kayak fishing, the party of Germans had located some very good fish the previous evening with several Cod to 20lb close to shore so we loaded the kayaks to launch closer to that mark, however as we arrived suddenly the wind came from nowhere & started to put a chop on the water, Marion was not happy with the conditions so we relocated to a more sheltered location in shallow water,
    [​IMG]
    we had a good day catching & releasing lots of cod up to 8lb,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I was just starting to get a feel for the place & had identified a lot of excellent places to fish the kayaks when our short stay had come to an end, on reflection we were distracted from my main aim of catching big fish from the kayak, by having a good time, but we had a great week. The place had a lot more to offer than we took. It also seems that we were a bit late for the big spawney cod, & early for the summer species that follow the herring & mackerel into the fjord. that said I dont think these locations will every compete with Skervoy, but they are not a 4 day drive to the arctic, however if you want great sport in beautiful surroundings it ticks all the boxes.

hope you enjoy the photos, however we had a lot more of Norway to see, will post part 3 soon

2. andym

andym Rockling

Great pics and report look forward to the rest

3. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

great report and picturs i'm looking forward to the rest

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

I wasn't braced for the photo of all the rubbish. :no:

The rest are stunning photos.

Thanks for posting Dave.

5. newdave

newdave Guest

came as a shock to me as well, that bay is open to the west so the gulf stream & the winter storms fetch that lot in, most of the fish boxes were from scotland, this is a mecca for sea kayakers & the local tourist people are really angrry about it but it would cost an absolute mint to clean it up. I think it needs something like they do in Skye, were the locals organise a BBQ on a different beach each time & spend a couple of hours picking up all the trash, I really think every boat should have its gear marked & be fined if it turns up somewhere like this :yes:

6. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

another entertaining ,quality report dave,thanks for that,wish you rung me when you found all that rubbish,i,m still looking for a right foot size 8 adidas trainer to go with the left one i found down sub.

7. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

By heck its such a bloody hard life you have there dave, great report and pics. Looking forward to my 2nd Norway trip which is only six weeks away now. It must be said its the place of dreams for any person who loves his fishing and with stunning views. looking forward to pt 3

cheers

dave

8. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That rubbish is bad! :surprise:

Again, another report that I loved! :cheesy: As you say, it's easy to forget to a degree why you are there....for the fishing. you have to enjoy it and get out and about a bit.

Props - We read in the visitor book that one English group had some fun with theirs. One o fthe lads had been releasing a fish back and fell overboard. Instead of getting back on the boat he panicked and swam to shore. His mates then backed the boat up to the rocks to recover him. Only they didn't think too hard and reversed the prop straight into th rocks. One bust prop and aboat that couldn't be moved. So suddenly a bust prop turned into a damaged underside too. Massively expensive.

Really pleased you both loved it. Can't wait for part 3. What did you find was the best rig/lure/pirk fo ryour trip? I had a 9" red/black/silver pirk that caught pretty much allsorts till I lost it in weeds. :cry: Guess I'll have to go back and try to find it. :cheesy:

9. raymo

raymo New Member

hi dave,,,i hope you realise,,how lucky you are,,,to have a partner who has the same intrest's as you,,,,the smile on your lass's face is great,,,i only wish i was in your shoe's...well done on this trip and i hope there's a lot more...

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great write up Dave, really does look a lovely place (apart from 'rubbish bay'). Shame there isn't a photo there with you and a 100lb Halibut but as long as you are catching and enjoying yourselves then nothing else matters.

Great photo this one dave:

[​IMG]

11. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Another great report Dave, looks a fantastic place........................

12. robq

robq Rockling

absolute top notch report again Dave as usual :cool: :cool:

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Part Of A Three Post Series.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27154.0
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27160.0
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27172.0