1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northumberland marks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Marks - Photos And Information' started by Lindisfarne, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Berwick little beach

The little beach, just to the North of Berwick pier. A nice sheltered kayak launch site ( well most of the time, unlike the photo :surprise:) . Worth a try from the shore with a bit of sea running in winter but can to be problematic with weed throughout most of the flood on big seas.

[​IMG]

A cold winters day on the same beach...

[​IMG]

2. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Cheswick Beach

4 miles South of Berwick. This is the start of a 6 mile stretch of sands that takes you all the way to the rocky shoreline of Lindisfarne.

Turbot, Flounder, Sea trout and the odd Codling are the main quarry. Inaccessible with a kayak unless you launch from Scremerston beach and paddle South for a mile.

[​IMG]

3. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Scremerston

Just a couple of miles South of Berwick Scremerston, or known locally as Cocklaw burn beach, is a predominantly sandy venue intersected by rocky skers that all give way to clean ground. It produces Codlings during winter and a few bass and flats in the summer months. A good access point for the more adventurous yaker that wants try the beaches further south of Cheswick and Goswick.

[​IMG]

4. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Lindisfarne

Plenty to offer the shore angler but launching of kayaks is prohibited unless you have BCU membership and use the harbour. The North facing shore is a rough and kelp infested and holds a few Codlings, it's a yomp over the dunes from the causeway but marks like the boiler and quarry hole have produced decent bags of codlings during the winter months.

The landward side of the Island can be fickle and is swept by strong tides. The main residents here are a huge colony of grey seals that make a lot of noise and probably eat most of the fish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Beadnel

A decent shot from the shore during the winter months. Marks Like Beadnel point, Knacker hole, and Pattersons Gully are all trusted favorites and seldom fail to thow out a fish or two when the condtitions are right.

There's a boat launch on the beach with a tractor provided by the local council, at a cost. Of course it's free for kayakers to drag over the sand. The beach will provide Turbot, Flounder and small Codlings. Head North round Beadnel point and you will find some rougher ground that holds a few Pollock, Coallies and Codlings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Low Newton

A great sheltered winter venue for the shore angler, even better as a launch site for kayakers in the summer. Park in the carpark at the top of the hill and trolley down to the beach....

[​IMG]

You can see Dunstonburgh Castle in the distance in the picture above. this is the best bet for a few fish if you can be bothered to paddle that far. The tide run is awsome on springs and great care should be taken if you try to anchor...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The castle is also a fantastic shore mark and can be accessed by walking North from Craster Village.

With the jaggy bottom and strong tide runs it makes a perfect home for some decent sized Pollock..

[​IMG]

Neil.

7. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Craster

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Originally Posts By Ian Alexander

As you drive up the A1 I like to turn off for Eyemouth and drive up through Coldingham. Through Coldingham take the road signposted to St.Abbs and you will come to this turn off before St.Abbs harbour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take this turn off but don't follow the brown sign, follow the white sign (for the light house) and drive straight on. Drive slowly as you pass some houses and follow the winding road up to the Head closing any gates that you may have to open on the way. The road is winding with a few passing places and cattle grids.
    The first place you'll come to is Petticowick which is just past this gate on the road.

[​IMG]

Follow the road and you can park at the small gravel car park that the divers park up in. From here you look down at Petticowick Bay.

[​IMG]

I want to launch my kayak here as I have a friend that has and he has had some good fish. It's a scramble down though!! You can climb around the rocks on the right hand side and fish off the front, this is a good codling mark but can only be accessed at low tide.

[​IMG]

The best pollack marks are at the head though. Follow the road past Petticowick car park up the steep hill and park in the car park at the lighthouse. There is a box for donations here.
    The views are breathtaking. Here is the car park.

[​IMG]

The first mark is the crocodiles back and is just over the cliff in front of my car in the previous picture.

Looking down on the crocodiles back.

[​IMG]

This is where my best pollack came from, fish the small gulley on the left or straight off the front as the crab boats often have pots in the gulley. The way down looks worse than it is, go to the left as you look down on the mark and you'll see the path that winds it's way down, the only dodgy part is where the is shale at the foot of the cliff.

The next mark I call the step-over as you have a step/jump across a small gap to get on the rock.
    To get there walk around to the right of the lighthouse from the carpark and follow the path that skirts around the lighthouse buildings, then follow the path down to the mark which is just in front of the lighthouse. This is a harder climb down but there is room for a couple of anglers to fish a few rods in comfort. I like to fish off the front and put a float into the foghorn gulley.

[​IMG]

These marks were good for codling but there seems to be more wrasse nowadays, the big pollack are still there though.

[​IMG]

There are other marks further south but I've no photos as yet. At the wuddy rocks there are some very good codling marks but you park st the harbour car park and not at the head.

The area fishes best in calm conditions and please be cautious when climbing down. The rocks can be treacherous in the wet and are best avoided.
    Also the whole area is a voluntary reserve and the relationship between anglers and the trust wardens is a fragile one. With this in mind I like to fish early mornings and give it a miss in the main nesting season.

Regards Ian.

9. Oliver welch

Oliver welch New Member

Absolutely agree ..with you ....