1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Sea sharking last year - tagging porbeagle

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Feb 23, 2011.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You certainly know how to write a good article Rupert, what a great read. Great shame about the lost porgies, have you come up with any idea's since, regarding the circle hooks and perhaps the set up?

As you say, the results of the tagging will be very interesting, catching them for something so worthwhile must make it even more satisfying.

3. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

great report and pictures thanks for posting it.

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great article. very interesting about the circle hook failure, bet it was gutting at the time

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

The report above is only edited highlights. We spent several more days at sea that were blank on the shark front.

I don't land every porgie hooked on a J hook - far from it, but these circles were particularly frustrating for all concerned. :angry:

I'm still puzzled that other shark anglers, both in the UK and the States get on just fine with them. The theory of them is fantastic, it's just the experience I had, makes me reluctant to persevere with them.

Any thoughts guys?????

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Maybe the hooks would be better lying alongside the fish Rupert. I think any weight on them stops them turning and gaining a purchase especially with them being so large and probably quite heavy.

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

About time CEFAS let you post a write up! :happy:

Great write up as usual Rupert, hope you can do more of the same this year (but with a better hookup rate of course!). Perhaps a carp style anti-eject rig is in order for those circle hooks :wink:

PS. I'm Pike fishing Friday if you fancy a session?

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rupert great report and pictures as usual i now have to reheat my tea in the microwave i must of read your report over and over not long now and it starts again tightlines Alain

9. mww

mww Rockling

Rupert

Great write-up...I was fortunate enough to be invited on one of the later (blank :cry:) trips, & it was great to see at close quarters just how organised Rupert & Rich are, & the hard work that they put in all day long to maximise their opportunities.

Sorry that I wasn't able to bring them the bit of luck that they deserved (maybe I brought the bad luck?), but am sure that it's only a matter of time before the average gets going back in the right direction.

It's made me (& cps & Trouty I hope...it's their boat after all!!) even more keen to crack the porbeagle target, after losing a couple last year without seeing either I just hope that we get another chance or 2 this summer....

Wonder if the tag from Rupert's shark has surfaced yet, & if so what tales it has told?

Again, thanks to Rupert, Rich & the CEFAS girls..

Mart

10. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff as usual Rupert :happy:
    It will be very interesting to find out where and when the porgies go :cool:

11. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A great report Rupert. A really interesting read. Puts me in the mood to try for a shark - never tried that before!

I do hope the CEFAS folks provide you with some of the data collected from the tag. It would be great to hear an update regarding the movements of this fish.

Do you think that it is likely the fish survived? Seems a long time to have any fish on, the lactic acid must be really building up in the muscles of that fish. How long is the shark out of the water for the tagging? I have my fingers crossed for you all and for the fish. Lets hope they get some good data back.

Do you know if there is any good shark fishing around the Scottish coast, particularly on the east?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Oh - and great pics too!

Tight lines,

David

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

The CEFAS team were great with their gear and had really thought through how to mitigate any harm to the shark whilst on deck. The foam padding cushioned the shark and a wet cloth was put over its eyes. The deck wash was sprayed into its mouth and over the gills. The shark lay as quietly as any I have ever seen - so lessons learnt for the future in that regard. We didn't have a stopwatch running, so I can't comment on the actual time out of the water.

Once returned, it was clear for all aboard to see, that she swam strongly away. What I can tell you is data has come back from the tag, proving without any shadow of a doubt that the fish survived the experience, but when I spoke to CEFAS today, I was told the data has not been fully analysed yet.

In Scotland, you need to target the Scrabster area over winter, where porgies are caught with some regularity. I've heard of porbeagle being caught by commercials off Fife, so I bet they're more widespread than anglers imagine.

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

14. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Really enjoyed reading that! Fantastic.

Not sure what I would do once a shark was boated mind...probably be at the other end of the boat..... :laugh: :scare:

15. Doc

Doc New Member

Great report Rupe, and many thanks for sparing my blushes !!!!!

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

The original report was far more comprehensive, but was heavily edited! :wink:

The photos are still here somewhere............................ :whistle:

17. cps

cps Rockling

dont wory dave told me what you were rearly like LOL

18. rupert

rupert Blenny

Ray - I think its the narrow gape of the circle hook thats the problem. If you look at the jawline of a porgbeagle, the 'gums' are quite wide and I think the hook just rides over them without setting. Even the scissor part of the mouth, where the jaws meet has a wide profile.

I'm sure the circle was in the sharks mouth - it just didn't stop in when the reel was put in gear and the line pulled tight.

[​IMG]

19. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Now that's a scary image! :scare:

I think I would be joining Mr Lee at the other end of the boat. :yes:

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They did look like they had a narrow gape Rupert. Perhaps there's another make out there which is more suitable.

I don't know the first thing about the type of fishing you are doing, so I hope it didn't sound like I did :no: Some say that the circle hooks need to have enough movement to allow them to turn over on themselves, wether thats the case I'm not sure. It must be frustrating as I expect they take some locating which makes it difficult to try new hooks/rigs. Would it be feasible have a few dummy runs with the Tope using circle hooks or are they too different?