1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Hawkser

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Marks - Photos And Information' started by adminbot, Aug 17, 2009.

1. adminbot

adminbot New Member

Please post any pictures of the fishing marks at North Hawsker here.

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Picture taken at low water from South Hawsker/Maw Wyke. The picture is looking north and includes the gullies at North Hawsker, including : Middle Way, Snot Hole, Iron Spring and Green Spring.

[​IMG]

4. Baramundi Bob

5. Baramundi Bob

6. robq

robq Rockling

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

[​IMG]
    Iron Springs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Baramundi Bob

Green Spring From Above Iron Spring. Looking North to highlights and Coffin Hole.

[​IMG]

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Maw Wyke

[​IMG]

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

iron springs whitby open 2008

[​IMG]

11. Baramundi Bob

Parking is a difficult one. Probably the best option is to park at the Caravan site. It will cost you £1 but its best to stay on the right side of them and then they will look after you too. There are other slightly nearer options for parking but I refuse to put them on the open forum as it could cause problems for others if all and sundry try to pack into a very small and private area. If you park at the caravan site then walk onto the Cleveland way and walk for about 5 minutes back towards Whitby.

The get down is difficult to find if you are not already familiar with it. Maybe one day someone will take a gps of it and post it up. Basically, if you look on an OS map. Find Knipe Howe Farm and run a line straight from there to the cliff top then you are not far away.

The get down itself is not too bad, but all things are relative and if your scarred of heights then forget it. The get down involves an initial steep decent then a long traverse across the cliffs before dropping down again to a sheer bit with a ladder of about 20-30 foot in length. Then its a gentle rope supported climb to the base of the cliffs. Once down there the ground is very large boulders - no scar and very few flat rocks to stand on.

Fishing is anywhere and over the years I have seen fish pulled from just about everywhere down there. Its all deep water so there is no reason why you cant catch fish from any piece of the coast from Green spring upto maw wyke. The favoured hot spots are : the area at the bottom of the rope, green spring, Back of iron spring, Snot hole, middle way, and Maw wyke.

Warning : Be very careful, the decent is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but if your reasonably fit and have no fear of heights you will find it ok.

Because of the deep water nature of the venue it can be dangerous and if you go when its too rough then you will get washed away. I have seen the sea come right to the cliff edge (Fortunately I had already climbed up the cliff to fish).

For some reason, when the sea comes from an easterly direction (SE, E,NE) the swells at Hawsker are twice as large as they would be if the same swell was coming from the North or North west. Quite why this happens I am unsure but if you go down there on easterlies be prepared for a massive sea and often a lot of loose weed.

The marks that are past Iron Spring (Snot hole etc) involve walking around the back of Iron spring hole and across some very big boulders about the size of a car. This is often easily done at low water but be careful if coming back at high water as big swells wash into the back of the hole on the far side and you could easily be trapped around there or washed away.

Thats about as much as I can say really. Im sure others will add some more. I hope I havent put you off. If you take care and learn the area you can fish it well with ease. It is never my intention to scare anyone away but if you dont respect places like this then they will take your life.

12. Oliver welch

Oliver welch New Member

Thank you very much for sharing this tips. for fishing thank you very much

• Like Like x 1