1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Face Of the Eiger, And All For A Cod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Decided on a few hours down Goldsborough last night. To be honest it turned into a bit of a nightmare, but more on that soon. The roads were clear all the way to Lythe and as it hadnt snowed since the weekend I thought that the Goldsborough Road would be clear to, how wrong that presumption turned out to be.

As soon as I got on the Goldsborough road I could see it hadnt been gritted. It was just thick compacted snow and Ice. Surprisingly I made it to the car parking spot with little problem. Due to the amount of snow I couldnt get into my usual parking spot so opted for the farmers entrance.

The walk to the cliff top was quite a difficult one. In places the snow was about 3 feet deep. The trek down was quite eventful too. The ropes were frozen solid and could have been used to do the Indian rope trick. Thankfully the ground underfoot was solid and I made it down with no problem.

First stop was Sharks tooth. One cast resulted in a big fat nothing so I moved in closer to the main gully. Again nothing on the first cast. Second cast I missed a bite. By this time Im getting cold and cheesed off so I said to myself I would go home if the next cast didnt yield a fish.

The first few casts had been on crab, worm and mussel, so the next cast I opted for a nice big lump of thick red cart. Within minutes of being in the water the rod tapped signalling the arrival of a fish, then ever so slowly the rod pulled forward. This was not a svage fast bite you associate with mops, it was one of them that pulls slowly forward but doesnt stop untill the rod was bent double.

I quickly wound down on it and the fished pulled away again. Hitting into it I soon realised this would be the best fish of my season so far. The fish thought hard and nodded all the way in. I stayed up high on the rocks and when the fish came to the rocks in front of me it snagged up.

Not wanting to loose the fish I quickly moved forward and jumped on a rock near the fish. Next thing, I slipped off the rock and went head first into another rock, bruising all my forehead. Fortunately I never knocked myself out.

I was back up on my feet pretty fast. I could see the fish wedged under the rock infront of me, so between waves I jumped down and got it out. A nice fat cod I estimated at the time to be over 9lb but probably not over the 10lb mark.

Next cast, on went the cart again. Again the bit was pretty fast and I soon had another fish of about 4-5 pound on the deck. Next cast same again but this time a mop. Things went a bit pair shaped after that and I missed 3 in a row before getting flooded of my mark.

So up the cliff path I goes back to the car. Got all the gear in and tried to set off. The car was stuck and wheels just spinning on the impacted ice and snow. I tried for almost 2 hours to get it but just ended up sideways on across the farmers track.

Eventually gave it up as a bad job and walked home, arriving back at 3am. Got up at 8am and phoned Mike to come drag me out but unfortunately the lad was on his way down south to collect a dinasaurs head. Just as I came of the phone to Mike the police came to the door. The farmer (Very unhappy) had phoned the police.

I explained the situation and asked them to give the farmer my number. I thought if he could pull me off the track in the tractor I would be ok to get home. Then Lawsey rang up and the game keeper from up there had phoned him to try find out whoose car it was. Again I passed on my number but the lad never rang.

The car sat there all day. Bowesey gave me the farmers number at teatime and I rang to apologise. He was not best pleased and said someone had blocked him in with a landrover over the weekend too. The farmer said he had moved the car for me and put it at the top of the track.

Myself and Mike went back up tonight with the intention of dragging me out but the snow was so bad we decided to leave it untill tomorrow. So we got all the gear out the car and Mike brought me home again.

Ive just weighed the biggest fish and it went 8lb 14 tonight so must have been over 9lb yesterday.

Fingers crossed I can get the car out tomorrow. This snow is really starting to do my head in now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done on the fish glenn shame about the fall and the car how far was the walk home you must have been gutted.This weather is getting right on my tits as well just want to go to bed and wake up and it be may and get the yak out.

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Great report and a few nice fish there. Shame about the car and bloody snow I bet you slept well when you got home.

Hows the bad head.

4. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Bloody hell if you,d knocked your self out you,ve have been brown bread--frozen to death.
    As to the snow i bought a Nissan XTrial this year. Its a soft 4x4 but is excellent in the snow. Great for up here in Consett.
    Nice fish for you efforts-glad everything o.k.
    Mick.

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just been stuck near goldboro for 1 and half hours trying to get to work nite mare. :laugh:

6. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Sounds an eventful night Glen,you were lucky with that bang on the napper could have been a lot worse. Plus a nice little bag of fish to take home, with a bit of luck you'll get a break in the weather to get you're car back tommorrow.

7. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

At least you got some fish glenn hope the heads not too sore!

that 5lber looks like its eaten a football lol

8. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done on the fish a bit of a sod the rest you folks haven't half had some snow this time i am landlocked in west yorkshire & we only got the first of it on monday last week.And am sick of it already so you chaps must be really p****d off by now as you had it a week earlier

9. Mark

Mark Blenny

Great report Glenn. First of all well done for getting out there and having a go in that weather. Secondly well done on the fish sounds like you could of put a good bag together there with the missed fish. Finally unlucky with the sore swede but like the other lads have said it could of been far worse had you knocked yourself out. Hope you manage to get your car back asap.

Mark.

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking fish there Glenn but boy did you have to work for them! Sounds a bit of a nightmare bud but at least it's just about sorted. I've been keen to get out myself but the roads nearer the marks are terrible so just got to sit on my hands for now and she if this weekend's warmer weather helps at all.

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Glen, what a nightmare,that snow looked terrible its a wonder you got to the mark at all,
    a good start to the month for you , a nice fish in the bag,

you must be dessperate to get fishing going out in those conditions mate :surprise:
    a very well deserved catch .

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done on your fish Glenn on what turned out to be a pretty uneventfull day in your world :laugh: You,re doing your head in, the snows doing your head in and now the farmers going to do it in :wounded: :cheesy:

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great result and good fish Glenn.
    Just shows how even the most experienced anglers can have accidents though. Please take care lads, this could so easily have been another tragedy.

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done glenn thats one hell of a session, glad you got yourself out alive and a very good fish for your efforts!

15. wakefield lad

wakefield lad Only happy when im away from wakefield fishing

A+ Fantastic report,good to know someone is out there still battling with the dangerous conditions and being rewarded.

16. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done on the fish Glenn, but unlucky on the bump on the head and the stuck car though. :wounded:. I got stuck last friday tried to get a line in at Boulby decided the easiest way would be to park at Cowbar top and walk round to Boulby, once i got off the main road onto the single track road into Cowbar i soon realised it was not a good idea and soon ground to a halt with the amount of snow. The people of Cowbar must of been snowed in, as this was the only access road in and out the village, and only passable with a good 4x4. Well out with the shovels for me and Mart and after a lot of digging and pushing we managed to get it dug out and reversed it back down the road.. Wake me up when its summer :tired:

17. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Well done on the fish Glenn..............................thats one full-on sesh pal............

18. woody

woody New Member

nice report glenn !! bloody bad out there !!!

19. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Well done Glenn.I bet the bump on your heads as big as that 9lb'er :wounded:

20. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Now thats why i dont like going to the less accessable marks on my own Glenn , especially in nightmare conditions like we are experiencing at the moment ,
    bad enough on normal days , you were very lucky you didnt do any more damage when you slipped on the rocks it could have been a different outcome, also another pair of hands could of probably helped to push the car out .
    well done on the fish matey and well done on your 6 mile endurance workout to get home :wounded:jim