1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Eastern Sea Fisheries Committee - Worth The Cash ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Apr 24, 2009.

Tags:
?

Are the nesfc worth your taxes ??

1. NESFC do a great job. Our fish stocks have never been so healthy. They sort out those commercial rul

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. They are a complete waste of tax payers money. Sink the north eastern guardian and use it as an arti

20 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Are the NESFC spending our taxes well ??

2. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is the first option a joke?

3. Baramundi Bob

Well someone might believe it Ben, although I was talking to one of the councillors on the committee at tea time and he said they were a complete waste of council resources. He did put it a bit stronger than that mind you.

4. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

It might not be a joke but the committee is. The committee are all commercial fishermen or families of. They just make rules to help themselves at the expense of everyone else. Disband the committee, and yes the boat would make a nice reef.

5. Kayak Kid

Kayak Kid New Member

Fully agree with all the above.

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

When you look at the moneys spent on such a fine craft when the last vessel was well within it caperbilities to do the same job i understand that they class each vessel to what they call its lifespan but to spend over 1 million pound of tax payers money on a vessel of that magnitude to police an ever dwindling commercial fleet doesnt add up unless you have money to burn.

paul.

7. Baramundi Bob

Maybe they spent it with the knowledge that they would soon be policing all the local charter and private fishing vessels.

8. Howard

Howard Blenny

Not very happy with these lads at the moment. Last tuesday we were sat on a right ball of fish on the Bemmo grounds in 30foot of water when they came tear arseing up to us in their rib to ask how we were geting on. I told them we WERE doing ok but theve just scattered the fish we were on. They then told us they were fisheries protection and they could scare the fish and buggered off. That mark never produced after that.
    I have not voted in the poll as I am unsure how effective they are at protecting us from foreign vessels and the rouges within our own fleet. One thing is for sure those lucky enough to work for them have brill.,well paid,pentioned-up jobs and that nut from RHB how the hell did he get in?

9. Acko

Acko Rockling

Its beyond a Joke It wears me out.
    Im gonna just carry on doing my own thing. I always will If they catch me Ill be criminalised no doubt But I arent submitting to all this beaurocratic nonsense

10. Howard

Howard Blenny

Could not have put it better myself 100% agree M8.

11. Baramundi Bob

Howard, how often are these people bothering you ? you should keep a record. You and I both know they are allowed to come to you and check your boat etc, but there has to be an acceptable level for both you and them. If its ruining your enjoyment of your fishing then they shouldn't be allowed to do that. You should have a word with the boss and if they continue with it then there are official complaints forms available from the Scarborough Council Website.

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Not voted cos dont agree with either option.Do agree total waste of money but just have a slight doubt as to what the fishing industry would be in without the guardians presence however little policing it does to the REAL offenders.

13. Howard

Howard Blenny

To be fair Glenn this is only the 2nd time in 2yrs and this one was an informal visit. The 1st time we got cautioned for filleting the cod @ sea (which was a new one to us) they were clearly well over the stick and we always return mops anyway. It was bad timing as we were onto fish in shallow water that even a bang on the boats hull can spook them. I dont want to fall out with anyone as you never know you may need them one day and they were trying to be friendly.

14. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ther was a time when they were useful, but I am begining to question it now, A lot of what they do is driven by Natural England and coastal management strategies. Like the police they suffer from a target driven strategy for dealing with infringements of the law, and like motorists part timers and anglers with an undersized fish or an extra lobster pot are easy pickings compared with the bigger commercial boats, but it all looks good on the stats that are presented in the report. As a ratepayer in Cleethorpes with a hand ful of registered boats, I do not know what I am paying for. I know that many councils do not like to publicise how much of the rates goes into financing this because the public would rebel if they were aware of this.

The time has come for them to be abolished and the necessary part of their work like coastal patrols to come under DEFRA and be funded from central government taxes

Cleeclive

15. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

ithink they make my fishing experiance far more enjoyable ,theres nothing i like better than hideing crabs in me waders or having a complete change of clothes before i come up the cliff ,they make it all worthwhile for me .

16. cps

cps Rockling

wonder if you can be prosicuted if the fillets were longer than 35cm?
    new one on me that one, i know its like that in the usa but didnt know it was against the law to fillet fish at sea hear

17. Doc

Doc New Member

Its not, and thats from a member of the NESFC committee :suspious: :suspious: :suspious:

Who I can also confirm (from the horses mouth as it where) does not recieve a penny from your taxes

18. Howard

Howard Blenny

Thanks for that Doc.It did really happen last august. Ill ask my mate if he has still got the paperwork with it all on.
    We have of course been ignoring the warning since as we need pot bait,need to get rid of waste as the council moan if you use the bins ashore but the biggest reason is to make it clear that we are not going to start observing these petty restrictions from day 1. As has been said on many occasions this is the thin end of the wedge.
    I do admit to getting a potting permit though cause: There Free, they may stop issuing new ones and you never know in the future they may be worth something (remember the salmon permits).

19. Baramundi Bob

I was speaking to a member of the committee earlier in the week and he said we should just make it clear we are not going to play ball with any of their rules until they start making sensible unbiased rules.

20. Howard

Howard Blenny

The vessel was out in Brid bay sunday (Double Time I presume) pestering small private boats. One old bloke who, moments earlier was on the radio chuffed to bits on catching his 1st lobster in his solitry pot was that worried he threw it back cause he did not have his measure.
    They gave us a wide berth though but it is looking as though the crew are running out of targets.