1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North East Let Down Badly

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

After enquiring about the response of Whitby sea anglers fishing club to the draft of the RSA strategy I have been speaking to Leon Roskilly who presented our responses at the last meeting with DEFRA on 15th Feb. I was alarmed to learn that our response was not heard at the meeting about redrafting the initial draft. It makes me wonder why I went to the trouble of consulting the fishing club members and writing the response so our views could be heard in London by DEFRA and all parties involved in the talks including commercial fishermen. Admittedly our views were a little extreme but I did manage to edit out the parts where people wanted to submerge licence inspectors in the sea if anyone ever came to inspect their fishing licence. Although not in line with general thinking on the issue we still have a right to be heard.

This is also the case for Filey fishing club - your views were not heard at the meeting.

Our responses were at the heart of feeling from the region. I fear the North east has been censored.

2. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

The meeting was an opportunity for those closely involved in the process to air their views to be taken into account, alongside the written responses that DEFRA have recieved.

It wasn't to decide what would make it into the revised draft.

If Whitby and Filey have made some good constructive points then I would expect these to be included in the document that goes out for general consultation in the early Summer, when all organisations and individuals will be able to give their views and enphasise their priorities.

Did DEFRA confirm receipt of the responses?

If so, then their contents will be considered alongside the points made by those who attended the meeting.

3. Baramundi Bob

I do not know if DEFRA confirmed receipt of our responses. The last I know of our response is that it was in your hands at the meeting.

Our responses should have been heard at that meeting. They were central to the feeling of our fishing club and some anglers in the region. The meeting was to formulate the draft which goes out for consultation very soon. The reason we took the time to formulate that response (many hours of my time) was so that everyone sat around that table in London knew how we felt, and that includes commercial fishermen and Green NGO's - We don't care if we make enemies of them they have a right to know our view point, and we have been censored. I have a feeling we have been censored on purpose.

I will be writing to DEFRA to inform them of my displeasure with this situation.

4. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

Sorry Glenn, you misunderstand.

The meeting wasn't held to formulate the draft.

The meeting was to provide further input to DEFRA who are formulating the draft, and who will take onboard comments made at the meeting by the various stakeholders invited, together with the written responses recieved from others.

Everyone will get to have further input when (if?) the re-drafted document goes out for general distribution and consultation in the early summer.

Individuals and organisations should begin to draw together their likely responses, as well as preparing responses to the white paper on the Marine Bill (due next month) and the Fisheries 2027 consultation, which will be equally important in conveying the views of the RSA sector.

5. Baramundi Bob

You know as well as me Leon our voices should have been heard in that meeting and the upmost has been done to keep us out. Paul Kilpatrick rang DEFRA to ask for an invite on behalf of the charter skippers and was told in no uncertain terms he wasn't welcome. We formulated a response we wanted heard at that meeting and it has been kept under wraps. BY the time this thing goes to consultation it will be a foregone conclusion as well you know. Bag limits and licences are on their way and there is nothing can be done.

I hope you enjoy your bass fishing.

6. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

Just as a matter of personal interest Glenn, can you let me have a copy of what was sent from Whitby and Filey SACs?

7. Baramundi Bob

8. dabber

dabber New Member

HI GLEN. JUST LIKE TO SAY WELL DONE. FOR GOING TO THE TROUBLE OF SENDING OUR VIEWS TO DEFRA. sorry its late but heres mine. I BELIEVE THEY ARE ONLY AFTER MONEY . WHAT SERVICE DO THEY PROVIDE TO WARRENT THIS FEE. I WOULD NEVER PAY THIS OUT OF PRINCIPLE. THE BRITISH FISHING INDUSTRY IS ON ITS KNEES IN MOST CASES. THANKS TO A FEW POLITICIANS WHO OBVIOUSLY KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THE FISHING. THE ONLY THING A LICENSE COLLECTOR WOULD GET FROM ME IS TOUNGE LASHING. GOOD LUCK

9. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

fishing is a sport that anyone can enjoy for free.if licenses are brought in it will no longer be free and will be for members only.where there are members there will be rules and regulations.i don't want to have to answer to anyone whilst doing what i've been doing (pleasure fishing) for a long time.keep fishing free.what right have the government to charge anybody to catch wild fish.it would be different if they owned the fish.if they farmed cod and released them into the wild and got the cod stocks up to a great level then maybe i would consider a small fee for the ongoing replenishment of stocks.until then i will continue to fish freely.human rights. :p

10. dabber

dabber New Member

ALL I CAN SAY LADS IS GOD HELP THE RATS WHO COME ASKING FOR MY LICENCE. SOON TO BE A MEMBER ROBBIE H.(COD SUPREMO) GOOD LOOK FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT LADS

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

The biggest thing that furks me off Glenn,is like yourself,i put a fair bit of time into the response from Filey Brigg Angling Society and for our views not even to get heard gives me the feeling,like yourself,that they dont give a shite about the feelings and points of view of respectable local fishing clubs and members.This tells me that the bag limits,and more than likely the license is going to go ahead regardless.Why the hell are they trying to do all this behind closed doors with a "chosen few" present,who have more than likely been carefully selected ;).Someone like Killer would have been a perfect person to be present as he knows as much about fishing and the state its in,as much,if not more than anyone around here.All i can say is,i hope the Liberal Democrats get in at the next election.Another thing is,correct me if i'm wrong,why the hell are Sea Angler not onto this? Or are there reasons why they choose not to print certain things? If this is the case,then people should stop buying their magazine out of protest,as its anglers who keep them in profit,and being the biggest Sea Fishing magazine out there,they should be at the forefront of any initiative.

12. dabber

dabber New Member

GOOD POINT ABOUT SEA ANGLER. MAYBE THEY COULD DO AN INTERVIEW WITH SOME OF THE ANGLING CLUBS SPOKESMEN ON THIS VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE. JUST GOING TO SEND AN E.MAIL TO EDITOR.

13. mww

mww Rockling

Biggest surprise to me is that the Tackle Manufacturers don't seem to be all that interested...maybe they think if the masses give up sea angling, then they'll just turn to carp/ coarse/ game fishing instead, & their sales/ margins won't be affected!! :eek:

Maybe they're right!!

Mart

14. bassman

bassman Administrator

to be or not to be ROD LICENCES thats the question, i for one will not be buying one and as for the bag limits thats a laugh. I cannot see the enforcers climbing down the cliffs in the dark to ask for your licence, or walking down the beach in the pitch black of the night to ask to see your licence (can you). its more than likely they will turn up in force at a big match such as the british open to ask to see your licence. what will happen to the moneys from the licences will it go back into sea angling or into the goverments pockets, one thing for sure it will not go into restocking of our waters. lets hear your views on this lads
    bassman :mad:

15. Baramundi Bob

Hi Smokey,

Sea angler as usual don't like to put their head above the parapit in case someone shoots it off. Fortunately Total sea fishing are giving Bob Cox (Remember cox and Rawl hooks ???) a column in their magazine and he like ourselves is against the strategy, bag limits and licences. I have been speaking to Bob today and I understand one of the other magazines is to let another angler I know (Steve Coppollo) write a regular column in there pages. Steve is also against the strategy as it currently stands.

So although sea angler are keeping a low profile the other mags are running with this and are against it.

Smokey I fear that our voice has not been heard as our views were not in fitting with what the NFSA and SACN are wanting to see come out of the strategy. IMO they want this pushed through asap. Our views could potentially halt what they want to happen. Therefore they do not want the views of the north east heard at these meetings. Like you say "Killer" knows more about the state of play than most of us, he sees and talks to more anglers in a week than most do in a year. He would have been the ideal person to speak on our and his own behalves. He phoned DEFRA asking for an invite but was refused admission.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi MWW, I am aware that moves are a foot to engage the tackle industry. I will tell you more via email but it sounds interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------

There is also a large body of anglers from the south of the country unhappy with the strategy they are several thousand strong and requesting that we join them. I will be writing to the local clubs to ask their thoughts on the matter.

Cheers - Glenn

16. Paul Grover

Paul Grover Guest

I can see whats happening here. This is frustration, frustration because a lot of effort is being put in to this and nothing is hapening. We must not allow ourselves to disheartened by all this bullshit.
    Thats what the powers that be are relying upon. Us losing patience and throwing in the towel.
    Think about it? They are trying to wear us down. Dont let them.
    Take a step back, regroup and get on with it. Dont shut down the few avenues we have open to us by becoming frustrated and shouting at the wrong people.

17. Baramundi Bob

The thing is Paul. Those few avenues are only open to the right people.

18. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

What a load of total cobblers!!!!

19. Baramundi Bob

So why were our views not put to the meeting Leon ? They were in front of you - yet 2 weeks later you are asking me for a copy of them. Our views represent those of an entire region and we shouldn't be overlooked. Why not head onto the NESA site and start enquiring there what they think of bag limits and licences - I note you tend to stay away from the north east forums Leon.

Why is the timescale for this so short and why are the minutes of these meetings either not finding their way to the angling public or only finding their way to them too late in the day to make any change ? Why do the majority of anglers know nothing of the proposals ? why are people still saying all this is a rumour ? Why are 2 angling bodies with a minute membership in relation the total number of sea anglers telling the governement that we want these measures ?

Anglers in this area are being stitched up and If its the last thing I can do at least I will have tried to get them to see what is happening - Unfortunately these measure will be past before most people even know what has happened.

20. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

I believe that the papers were sent directly to DEFRA, I've never seen them.

They were never in front of me, nor any of the other angling representatives attending the meeting .

(However I did have the YALASA document in front of me, sent to SACN directly by YALASA, who are SACN members, and although not amongst the papers that DEFRA distributed, I attempted to put across points from that response, along with others from other SACN member organisations and individual members. If Whitby and Filey had been members of SACN, and had sent us their documents, we would have included them, however I didn't even know that they had submitted responses until you mentioned it, and you have refused to allow me to see them, so sorry, I/we can't help - how could I)

The meeting wasn't to go through all of the responses recieved, it was so that participants could present their own views (and their organisations' views) on the draft.

DEFRA will take onboard those discussions, and presumably the content of the papers that Whitby and Filey SACs have included in their written responses, in preparing their revised document to go in front of the stakeholders on the Inshore Fisheries Working Group, before being distributed generally for consultation by any individuals or organisations who want to present a view.