1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North East Drift Nets To Be Phased Out By 2022

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Dec 11, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

A typically biased report on this- but it seems that the end of salmon and sea trout netting is in sight.

http://www.nffo.org.uk/news/government_sanctions_2012.html

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As someone who's done a bit of legal drift net fishing in the past I thought it was a very balanced piece fron the NFFO, you watch what happens now that the riparian owners have got their way and removed sustainable commercial salmon fishing, on the back of this will be ever increasing costs to those that fish for silverfish in our N/E rivers, rents will rise and the prohibitive ticket prices will mean that the ordinary working class man will no longer be able to afford his salmon or sea trout fishing

That in a nutshell is what the end game plan is all about from the riparian owners

3. bucko

bucko New Member

I don't think the damage that was done to Esk sea trout stocks during several dry seasons was anything like sustainable Brian- the stocks are seriously depleted with no other obvious causes.

As for them quoting that " There is a large local hatchery in the North East that is used to support salmon stocks: a fine example of sustainable practice"- since when did they contribute either financially or in labour towards the hatcheries?

With wild salmon commanding £27 a pound this year- I imagine those guys have made more than a pretty penny and will milk that cash cow as much as they can until 2022.

Don't get me wrong- I'm sure there are those out there that 'Stop when they've got enough' but in todays increasingly greedy society that only thinks of 'The Now'- they will few and far between.

4. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don't think the damage that was done to Esk sea trout stocks during several dry seasons was anything like sustainable Brian- the stocks are seriously depleted with no other obvious causes.

not even the "have clep & travel "merchants,? they used to decimate them years ago.

or is it not even worth the poachers while to do it these days?

5. bucko

bucko New Member

I think those characters head north these days.
    But, to give you a better picture of what I mean- there were 25+ crates of sea trout heads in Whitby fish quay last Autumn.
    Given that the fish are generally sold whole that leads me to think someone had an excess that year.
    The runs have been in decline for a while- with the Summer run suffering most.