1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night time shot with light trails.

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Jellyworm, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Had a little dabble for the first time at a NIGHT TIME time exposure....only problem was lack of cars must have been the quietest night ever on the A63 into hull...lol.(one is with a little cooling in Photoshop elements 6)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be glad when the fishing picks up though..lol

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I like it. I keep meaning to have a go at something similar.

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I need a more robust tripod though the 25-30 second exposures bit long for the light one i have at the moment.

4. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Jelly, is it possible to do this with a digital camera or are these done with something special?

wildcard

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

They are taken with a Canon EOS 400D digital SLR.
    All you need is to keep the camera very steady on a tripod or bean bag and then use either the B (bulb setting) or shutter priority to give you the long exposure that causes the light trails from the moving cars.

6. wildcard

wildcard Guest

I've got a canon digital ixus (isn't the canon software great) and was wondering if theres a menu setting that would allow a long exposure like that. We have some big ships come into Teesport with lights blazing, bet they'd look great with a big exposure time. Just a thought.

wildcard

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Despite the missus also having an Ixus, I ve not had a play with it,from the spec it does seem quite feature packed for a compact.Have a hunt through the manual for "bulb" exposures also called time exposures where the shutter is opened and closed manually to allow very long exposures,however you would need a cable release to avoid camera shake which might be difficult with the ixus.The alternative is to select "TV" mode which stands for time value or shutter priority and allows you to set the shutter open time and the camera works out the closest apperture for the shutter speed.
    The shots I took I think had an exposure of around 25 secs or so so you will need a tri pod to keep the non moving elements of the scene sharp.
    I think a ship would be too slow moving and any light areas might burn out before the light caused the trails.

Have a go and post the results....trains also look good in early morning or evening low light.