1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night time Brigg

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by graydays, Nov 4, 2008.

1. graydays

graydays Codling - the spawn of two different fish?

Hi...

Fairly new to scene (about 8 months) and was looking into doing a mid-week night time fishing stint on the Brigg with a couple of mates (also fairly green).
    Anyone got any tips as to where the best fishing spots are for fish/safety/ease of getting to and from.

Any help would be much appreciated. :scare:

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If you all don t know the Brigg , pick a day that hasn t got much wind or sea on and fish from the cliff tops....walk from the country car park till you see a trig point stone to your left then walk to the cliff tops in front of that ,there are two spots "High Nab" and " Ben Storeys" both are decent fishing platforms. If you don t know how the tides fill in the gulleys or how the sea suddenly lifts on the Brigg even in a slight sea then stay off the actual Brigg at night ! Or go with someone who can keep you safe who knows the Brigg well.
    As a first trip you might be better going in daylight to see what goes on with the gulleys and sea states.
    Last winter the Brigg was quite hard to get fish from and any amount of sea will see most of the local lads seaking fish at other marks.
    If you do decide on the cliff tops 535 or 9000 size reel and fish over high water.

Sure one of the Filey lads will give you a bit more info........but the emphasis has to be on safety on the Brigg....out of all the rock marks I fish the Brigg is the one that always surprises me still as to where the swells suddenly lift from, I once had to grab my old man by the collar as the sea lifetd from nowhere and washed him off his feet soaking him and nearly washing him off the ledge he was on,I d moved up higher and just saw him going seawards in time !!

Go steady lads.

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

If you walk along the clifftop towards Carr Naze (the end of the cliff that points out towards brigg end),you will come to some railings,walk past them about 30 yards and you will see a bomb hole from the war,walk along the cliff edge and follow it along until you come to a concrete block on the cliff edge.Follow the cliff down directly below the block and you should be able to find the ladder down.Once at the top of the ladder,take a look at the ground below you,directly below the ladder on the bottom ledge is "Green Rock" which can throw up Codlings,pollock,billet and plenty of mackeral in the summer,the ground is mixed to clean here and tackle losses are usually reasonable,as with any marks on the Brigg,a rotton bottom system is essential.About 100 yards to your right on the bottom ledge,you will find "Ling Rock" which is another ledge that appears on the slightly bigger tides.The ground here can be slightly heavier and a big cast is an advantage,this mark can throw out some big bags of Codlings in calm conditions.When on this mark,take a look directly behind you,you will see a "scar" or ledge that runs towards the Brigg End,this is called "Gully Wash" and is a lot heavier ground with high tackle losses.The upside is it's a cracking cod mark when flat and a bigger cast usually produces the good bags.The Brigg End is not really a place for people with no local knowledge,there are cut off points which are not immediately visible,which will leave you in a serious position.Also down the end,swells lift from nowhere and can very easily catch you out,best left alone unless someone local offers to take you.As said previously the Brigg can be a VERY DANGEROUS place,swells appear from nowhere and have swept anglers away more than once,never take your eyes off it,even on a calmish day,best fished in the summer when flat and clear,if there is any sea on whatsoever,leave it alone and fish from the tops.All the marks i have mentioned are low water marks,for high water tides or when there is sea on,fish from the tops from either High Nab (on the flood) or Benny Storeys (the ebb).You will need a reasonably powerfull rod as the ground can be heavy,a penn 525 mag,abu 7000 or similar sized reels will be fine.If you need distance drop to 25lb mainline with a shockleader or if not,35lb straight through.Keep your rigs simple and take plenty of 6oz leads with you...hope this helps.... tight lines

4. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Smokey, good info. I haven't fished the Brigg yet, but am looking to do so in the not too distant future.

5. graydays

Thanks for the info guys, looks like a calm night fishing from below ladder then up onto cliff top over high tide.
    Got some crab and squid ready to go in the freezer and plenty of leads in the bag. Just got to book a couple of days off and away we go.
    If we catch owt I'll post some pics. Only managed to catch pollack, whiting and wrasse so far. Still hoping for our first cod.

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Let us know how you get on,if your bait is up to scratch you have every chance of getting a codling or two... tight lines

7. graydays

Hi lads...
    Managed to get Friday afternoon off with mate and headed to brigg.
    By the time we got there, the platform at the bottom of ladder was taken by another couple of guys, so we decide not to bother them and set up on top of high nab.
    We fished there from about 5pm low tide through to 2am, 2 hours after high tide but, apart from a couple of good knocks that we didn't connect with, it was a washout.
    The guys on the platform left at about 8pm after just catching what looked like a small wrasse - I think they must have known something we didn't.
    Still, undaunted, we are already planning our next evening visit at the back end of November so, fingers crossed, we'll get something yet.