1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nigel Farage - UK Bass Anglers Being Punished

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

A very interesting video of Nigel Farage in The European Parliament recently speaking about the 1 Bass per angler Bag Limit about to be introduced in UK Waters.

Perhaps the most significant point for me is highlighted red below. When discussing bag limits for bass or any other species for that matter it has always been in my mind that whilst we surrender our age old rights to catch and retain fish from our waters, we have no control over the commercial take. This is a point raised by Nigel Farage and one I wholeheartedly agree with.

We have put a total ban in place and after July the 1st a derisory 1 fish per angler limit, whilst at the same time allowing small commercial boats to use Gill Nets to catch 1.3 tonnes per month each.

This is not a war on Commercial fishing for sea bass on my behalf, but more a raising of an issue with those anglers promoting these bag limits.

My question to those anglers is how do you intend to tackle commercial landings in the future in your aim to make this a Sport Fishery.

A second question to those anglers is "Do you feel you have let your fellow anglers down by pushing for bag limits and not opposing them"

A Summary Of the Points Raised By Nigel Farage.

1. We have put a total ban in place and after July the 1st a derisory 1 fish per angler limit, whilst at the same time allowing small commercial boats to use Gill Nets to catch 1.3 tonnes per month each.
    2. Anglers being "Punished"
    3. Commercial Take 1.3 Tonne Per Month Each.
    4. 800,000 Bass Angler being made criminals for pursuing their Magna Carte rights.
    5. Bass Fishing a £200,000,000 per year Industry. Worth far more to the UK economy than Commercial Bass Fishing.
    More Bass Fishing Discussion Here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. WetLine

WetLine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very worrying to see that ineffective conservation measures such as this go through on the nod without being debated. Nice to see angling concerns being given a higher profile I heard him comment about this on LBC radio about a week ago (but nothing from other politicians).

He says the Maltese just waved the measure through. I spent a week diving Malta several years ago but I didn't see many fish. I wonder why ?

3. the-yak-man

the-yak-man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fair play that man

4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Interesting post / quote from the link below -

2015 Sea Bass Stocks In Trouble

"Glenn I was pleased to see I’m not the only fish murderer in the country when it comes down to wanting to catch fish to eat.

It must be something to do with the stone age deep rooted molecule that tells the angler to use a clear line & not one of those ridiculous pink ones etc etc etc!

I’ve often wondered do the ones who always put fish back,fish with such tenacity as those of us who fish with the killer instinct ?

One sure thing I’ve noticed is that the ones who advise us to put them back are always trying to convert the naughty boys to their way of thinking and never the other way round.

I think also that those who try to convert us to their way of thinking are quite capable of telling lies to meet their own ends a sort of holier than thou approach.

Many of them I fear through a lack of experience compared to those who know exactly what they are doing should really look to their own and not interfere. On the internet no one is quite sure in any case who these folks are and there is a distinct chance they may be anti angling or bailiffs or fishery officers.

Why on earth do not all those who fish with a rod and line get their heads round the fact that it is irrefutably the nets that do the damage to fisheries whether it is in the sea or in the estuaries.

It might be well worth considering that when those that are admired for putting their fish back do their
    bit for ‘conservation’ and the damn fish swims straight into a net not far from where they are fishing. Important it is to also be well aware that fish that swim into a net big or small cock or hen are dead.

Netters do not give a stuff about rod anglers and never will……..
    "

• Agree Agree x 1