1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Would Like To Get Into Kayak Fishing With A Budget of £1,200

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Captain Happy Meal, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Captain Happy Meal

Captain Happy Meal Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have negotiated with her indoors and have £1,200 to spend on getting into kayak fishing in the sea. All my past fishing has been fresh water.

I would like some advice on what I would need and if possible some advice on best makes and brands of kayaks, clothing and tackle, along with some links to where I can buy it all if poss.

Could anyone help me prepare a shopping list. I was think of a kayak of around 8ft in length to make it easier to lift and transport. I would like to buy the correct clothing and safety devices so any advice on that.

I also dont own any sea fishing tackle so could you advise on some gear for that. I like the look of cod fishing and also to catch pollack on light tackle. I have read some posts by Yakking Sam and others and think it all looks really exciting.

Thanks in anticipation - James

2. gary

gary Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello and welcome forget about a 8ft kayak you need one 13 to 15ft if you plan on going in the sea I have a trident 13 a all round good kayak. Gary

3. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Alright James, welcome to the forum. As stated an 8ft yak nee good for going out to sea in. I pick my 13ft yak up no problem and put it on a rack on the car no problems. If you struggle there are ways round it.

Where are you based???

Get in touch with Fi from 1st wet and wild either in here or give them a call, based in hull, they will sort you out and will not fob you off with any rubbish. Highly recommended by myself as we'll as many others on here

4. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

All the information on here, kayak £700, extras seat/paddle/bouyancy aid/wet suit £200, rod real and a few bits of gear£200
    You could read for weeks with all the options get the kayak right first got a 4.1 elite and love it, used to use a nomad feel free which is too small and to restricting. Once you get into it you will change the rod and reel every year any way because we all feel a strange need to get something new
    Regards
    John

5. menai1

menai1 ECKA Simply the Best

Hi James plenty of good advice on here. If you are starting out from fresh it might be worth looking out for a good secondhand one as a lot of the time they come with lots of extras which if buying new will cost you a small fortune. Have a look on anglers afloat some good bargains to be had. This will also give you some spare money to invest in a good dry suit and safety gear which is a must.
    Good luck steve

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Yep, as already mention ideally you want a kayak of at least 13ft for sea fishing. That said you can get away with smaller but they are generally slower, more so when the weather goes nasty.

There are many kayaks out there so it can seem like a mine field, I've had a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 for 5 years and still going strong (though a bit rough around the edges now). Prowler 13, Trident 13, Scupper Pro, Wilderness Tarpon 120 & 140, Ocean Kayaks Ultra 4.1. any of those will see you right for years and can handle most conditions. There are more out there but these are very much tried and tested.

Shopping list:

Kayak £750
    Drysuit (wetsuit ok for summer months) £250
    VHF Radio £100
    Paddle (see if you can get one for free with the kayak)

Plenty of shops to choose from though Fiona at 1st Wet & wild has helped many of us on here and will get you the best out of your budget. Worth a drive over and seeing the kayaks and gear first hand, that way you get a much better idea of what to buy.

Fishing gear:

If budget is getting tight after all that kayak gear then I'd recommend a 4000 size fixed spool reel (any shimano will do), load with 35lb braid. An old Pike jerkbait rod are perfect for cod jigging and trolling for pollock/bass. That way you have one rod/reel for most types of fishing you'd do off the yak and won't cost a fortune.

Been mentioned lots of times but well worth attending the Runswick kayak weekend http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29744.0 you'll find that very useful plus a good laugh.

7. andym

andym Rockling

All good advice above I'll add a few bits of essential kit

Spare 2/3/4/ piece paddle to stow on board
    Knife/rope cutter
    Compass
    Basic first aid kit
    Throw rope/tow line
    manual bilge pump