1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW RECORD BASS - SHORE FISHING RECORD BROKEN

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Daz Taylor, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Same for all species Ray Big fish grow from Small fish. :wink: My point was really in answer to the question of which would be most beneficial to return. One big fish or 1 little fish. With the evidence that the bigger a fish is the more it can contribute to the future generations (ie One 20 pounder can outspawn many 6 pounders), then my answer would be its better to return a single bigger fish than a single smaller one. But I wouldn't feel unhappy about anyone taking a fish of any size or indeed returning it, so long as they didn't expect everyone else to do the same.

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Taking the fish is,nt a problem with me as you know Glenn but if I was into a lot of Bass with a fairly good chance of catching a good one I would probably return the smaller ones in the hope of catching a better one. I,m not saying that is the right or the wrong thing to do. I can understand both sides. If I was pleasure fishing for Cod I would do the exact same thing.

3. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

it's a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario
    which came first

which fish to take?
    large that will have spawned many times or small that hasn't had chance to breed.

taking a large one that has spawned many times thus knowing it has contributed to the species survival or taking a small one which hasn't spawned and could have grown on to become a large fish having spawned many times.
    tough decision.

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It,s pobably just as well that people do have differing opinions rather than put all of our eggs in one basket Tim :confused:

5. Baramundi Bob

To be honest it makes no difference either way. This was the ministers views as recent as this week. He says with supporting evidence that Bass are on the increase and being fished sustainably.

6. baza

baza New Member

id like to think im conservation minded, but thats not to say i always put bass back. i love to eat bass though the majority i catch i put back. personally i wouldnt take a big bass, to me that would be a fish over 5lb, i have done in the past but wouldnt again, thats why i take a camera

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

I must admit if i were to ever keep a bass for the table , ide certainly prefare to keep one around 2 or 3 lb .......

8. DrTom

DrTom New Member

Just to follow up on the main response to my earlier posting. The point about taking smaller or immature fish as the relationship between fish size or age and its contribution to future stocks is not linear. Also that due to natural mortality and adundance being higher amongst juvenile or smaller fish (this excludes fishing mortality), then by taking smaller fish from the population the population is more likely to be able to compensate.
    As an example, imagine that in a fish population there are 1 million eggs, 1000 juveniles and 100 adults, every year, so there is only enough resources in the environment to support 100 adults and 1000 juveniles. 900 juveniles die every year from natural mortality/starvation/competition/whatever. If you remove some of those 900 juveniles (or 1million eggs) from the population the worst you could do was reduce competition and increase food availability and "maybe" increase the abundance of adults.
    This was a simple example but if you want to read more you can find references on my website
    www.fbs.leeds.ac.uk/staff/Cameron_T

tight lines!
    ps Despite high winds I will be at sandsend carpark with some beginners tomorrow for the morning high tide, the sun should be out!

9. Baramundi Bob

Every angler has the right to retain fish for the table and should not feel under pressure from anyone else to return a fish. I have said this many times on this forum and I point anyone who wishes to influence anyone else to the forum rules :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/site-information/forum-rules/0/

In particular rule number 2.

Sorry but that's how it is and as long as I run this forum that's how it will remain. This is an angling forum and "Anglers" should not be ashamed to say I caught a fish and I took it home - even if it feeds the cat. If its your personal preference to return every fish then that's fine and its ok to let us know what you do, but I will not accept it when it is suggested everyone else should behave in the same way.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

:wounded: :suspious:

11. Baramundi Bob

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

:butt: :happy:

13. mike_

mike_ New Member

i don't mind people suggesting it (everyone has an opinion and should be allowed to view it on a public forum) its when they they ram it down your throat that this is the only way - these people are hypocrites as only a certain percentage will actually live after been returned anyway. and lets face it with the carnage the commercial fleet are doing it don't make a f**k of difference what the anglers do.

just my thoughts mike

14. Baramundi Bob

Sorry Mike not on this forum mate. There are many others where its ok but not here. I want to encourage people to post pictures and reports of themselves with fish without fear of being hassled for keeping their fish. Even the suggestion that fish should be returned is enough to stop people sharing their stories.

I have been a member on other forums where the catch and release brigade have got on peoples cases. One of those forums was a s busy as you could find anywhere. Now its dead with about 10 posts a week.

After this topic was initially posted many members emailed me to say they were considering not posting about catches again. I had to do something about that. I might be wrong and you might all leave to join one of the other forums but I think my decision is for the best in the long run.

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Give it up to BB lads :yes: :kiss: and to Dav too :butt: :butt: :whistle: :cheesy: sorry Dav only joking. Two differing opinions but both respected and accepted. Whats more I,ve been awake since 2.30am because of the bloody wind (not my wind) or maybe it,s just the excitement of fishing in it :whistle:

16. mike_

mike_ New Member

yes i can see where you are coming from bob and totally agree when you put it that way :yes:

mike

17. DrTom

DrTom New Member

Yesterday was gorgeous weather at sandsend and I caught a shore record, for me at least, my first ever shore caught codling, all 8"'s of him. Second pennel hook through the back meant he could not go back so the cat had a feast for brekkie!

No flounder to speak of but the swell was rough. The new starts enjoyed themselves though and want to go back. Can anyone comment on the safety and fishability of the scree slope that meets the sea just north of the sandend carpark. It seemed to be a good sheltered position that did not receive too much of a battering from the swell.

18. Baramundi Bob

By scree slope do you mean cliffs ?

19. DrTom

DrTom New Member

it was between the first set of cliffs and the second, like a small slope into the water. I did not have my binocs but it appeared that there was a small natural/man-made wall to the left side if the slope. A more appropriate description might be boulder beach?
    PS Did I read correctly that there were big catches yesterday at bridlington?

20. Baramundi Bob

Now being discussed here :

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=16055