1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW RECORD BASS - SHORE FISHING RECORD BROKEN

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Daz Taylor, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cheers Howard. No doubt you are right. I had to make a similar post once before and no doubt it will happen again in the future. This forum is for anglers and I feel we have plenty of them, the forum is for people to post up about their catches and share experiences, tactics, and even marks if Big cliff can get the info from them ;) but I don't want it going the same way as the sea angling sections on many forums with people scarred to post about their catches. If you catch a fish you are right to be proud and show the rest of us. I have no problem with people starting topics to discuss the rights and wrongs of killing a fish but If people make a post about their catch please either give them the pat on the back they deserve or if that aint possible then just refrain from posting.

Howard we both used to be regulars on another internet forum, and we witnessed over a couple of years the numbers of posters dropping off due to the hassel they got from other forum members, now all that forum consists of is sad gits who campaign to have us all stopped from taking fish and its pointless posting. This will not be happening here.

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Baramundi Bob for Prime Minister ;D my setiments 100% Congratulations Steve for catching the fish everyone of us was dreaming of doing. I would also like to say to Steve that he has my utmost respect for coming onto an "alien" site if you like and having the balls to stand up for his rights and just hope he dos,nt have to go from site to site for the next few months feeling he has to try and justify himself to all and sundry.
    Dav would have let it go, I,m sure, and he also gets my respect too, but lets leave it up to the individual, after all, we,ve all taken fish at some time.

3. Baramundi Bob

I would defend his right to do that just as strongly. I once took stick from a certain individual for returning cod - roughly 15 -20 of them in a 5 hour session at bay last winter. He got a right ear bashing for what he suggested.

Prime minister I shall be ;D ;D

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

I did and do ......I really apologise for my remarks if they offended you steve , Its a very big achievement catching such a fish as large as that , and hold my hat off to you .......next time ill think before spouting...........cheers

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i would'nt have given it to the N H M, i would have steaked it straight up and toasted the fact that im the record shore bass holder, every time i had home cooked japanese bass, with a nice glass of canti, and i would have had its tail end for christmas dinner with fennel ;D

6. ollypolly

ollypolly New Member

hi all
    thanx for all your replys and no ofence take from any 1 on this or all the other sites/forums iv been on.
    iv been fishing on sandown pier tonight ha i only got a under size smoothie.but there was 2 good skate pulled out and a few dogies.we have a problem infront of the pier with a few trawlers.and 1 idiot trawler decided he would drop his net all around the pier with in feet from it.worst thing is he knows full well this is a official emergancy landing bay.
    if any of you can get maridion news on tv you will see me there with a few m8s doing a interview about the fish and if you go to the isle of wight radio website you can download the interview i did yestaday.the tv are going to film us fishing in the spot i got the bass
    if i can ill try and upload it some were for all to see
    steve

7. Misso

Misso Blenny

You dont get this on the Jermery KLYE show, its great reading.

8. Tala

Tala New Member

What more can be said, well done that man on a superb catch of a lifetime!!!

Just goes to show you that these big lumps of fish are around and are catchable.
    I was lucky enough to be fishing with a mate of mine near Caernarfon, Cracking days fishing, both of us ended the session with double figure thornies and double figure bulls but the cream was Dyn Bachs 16lb bar of silver.
    Still a tiddler compared to the 20lber tho.
    [​IMG]
    Not bad for a guy who had only been shore angling for a year.

9. Baramundi Bob

Thanks for posting that tala and well done to you and your mate.

10. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Between the !st October to present I have caught 31 bass between Sandsend and Saltwick most were undersize some were in the 3-4lb mark. I have killed 9 of these the rest returned. I don't feel guilty or at all bothered what other people say or think, If I want a fish for the table I will take it if not it goes back.
    There are people out there who decry people fishing catch and release (antis) and people who make a song and dance about letting fish go should perhaps not be fishing for them in the first place. ;) ;)

Les

11. Baramundi Bob

Nice One Les well done. I fished next to George Midd the other night and he had one not sure if it was big enough to weigh in though. Ive only managed a couple this year and kept them both, the dog absolutely loves them ;).

12. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

:eek: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

13. camwfiley

camwfiley New Member

thats a beast

14. DrTom

DrTom New Member

It does make me laugh - Over the years I've had many people say to me that we shouldn't be taking the small bass, we should put these back and let them grow to a size where they would have spawned!!!! But when someone takes a fish that has probably spawned more than any other it's still seen, albeit by a minority, to be wrong.
    My question to these people is... When should we take a bass for the table - what is their idea of a correct size? Afterall it is every anglers right to take fish from the sea for the table... Isn't it?

Hi Folks, just joined the forum this evening as going fishing in NE for first time ever this saturday at sandend, taking along some beginners (I'm not much more experienced), but I joined the forum in response to the questions above from DazTaylor.

I am a population ecologist at Leeds uni and I study these sort of questions for a living (not bad if you can get it!).

My opinon is two-pronged. One based on physiology and the other on population ecology.

Physiology
    This is the old swim bladder problem. I fished a competition on the mersey in 2001 and that was the last time I ever entered a competition as I witnessed literally 1000's of whiting and codling being put back and they just floated down the river past everyone. That truly was disgusting. My comments below will tell you that from the populations point of view, this waste is likely to have had NO effect on future populations. But the waste had an negative effect on the public image of fishing to everyone walking by.

Population ecology
    The answer to the question, from a shore anglers point of view, depends on whether you think the Bass that use the inshore areas belong to the same population that is fished commercially in deeper water. If you do think that they belong to the same population as commercially exploited populations then it is likely that shore angling has an additive but relativel negligible effect on any future populations, regardless of what is stage or size of fish is taken.

However, if we are to believe that the Bass that use shore areas are a unique population that is "resident" to inshore reefs such that wherever they spawn they return to inshore reefs to grow, mature and then spawn, then inshore angling (boat/shore) may have an impact, as is the concern in some US striped bass fisheries that are protected from trawling but were targeted by sport anglers.

That said, a bigger question would be what size or stage of fish should we be taking to maximise sustainability and health of the fishery in an ideal world? That question depends on species but arguably if it were possible, and we could change people's eating behaviours, we would keep medium sized immature fish or small mature fish and always return mature or large fish. But in order for that to have a positive conservation value, that would have to be the ethic used in commercial trawling. So nets would have to be abandoned and all fishing occur by "fast-sinking" long line with hook size as the selective pressure.

This has been shown by modelling the life-history of both fast (i.e. salmonids, herring, sprats) and slow growing (i.e. tuna, shark, cod) fish species based on length-at-age and age-at maturity data from fisheries and research sampling.

I know this probably sounds a bit high in the sky, unrealistic....but I did say an ideal world.

So....unless you are fishing for a species where commercial fishing has little or no impact, that by chance is edible (as most edible fish are allready overexploited), then it should not matter what size of fish you take.

If what I say is true, and I am quietly confident that it is, then in terms of sea fishing "for the pot" I dont believe the minimum size limit has any conservation benefit whatsoever.

15. Hammy

Hammy New Member

Hmmm, Interesting! Some years ago now I took time out to do a degree in marine biology & although I don't work in the field I'm still fascinated by such things. - it hasn't helped my fishing ability though!

Surely the swim bladder problem is not so applicable to shore anglers, as we are pulling the fish out of relatively shallow waters? Unlike pulling something up to a boat from a million fathoms?

Beautiful Bass anyway! I'm with Lobbers, - I'd have had it straight on me plate! :happy:

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Some may say "a fish is a fish" regardless of it,s size. Personally I feel that any fish should be given the oppotunity to grow and breed at least once in it,s lifetime and the size limit should reflect that. Some Bass anglers have been saying for years that it,s the small Bass we should be taking and returning the mature ones as these are the breeders. They have a point too but personally it would make me a little uncomfortable. I would rather take one big one for the table than 6 smaller ones. But in answer to your question Dr Tom, if fish are not given the chance to breed at all before they are gathered up it I would still prefer a size limit regardless of it,s population size.

17. langy

langy Rockling

nice fish m8

18. Baramundi Bob

Evidence suggests that one big fish can contribute more to the stock in terms of eggs/breeding potential than many smaller fish. I remember reading that a bigger fish produces more eggs and somehow they are more likely to be fertilised and survive. Having said that I wouldn't think twice about taking a big fish if Ever I was lucky enough to capture one.

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Those same big fish were also small at one time Glenn so we,ve got to assume that at least some of the small ones will mature.

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

I have no problem with taking fish for the table.If anyone is ever passing Torness Power station on the way up to the border,stop and go have a look at what the Geordies are doing.They are taking bass by the sackload both size,and undersized all to sell to the Chinkys so the lazy bums don't have to work,that will make your blood boil :yes:....tight lines