1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Given the dour reports recently, I thought folks would like to hear something positive.

Went out for a couple of hours on Thursday night to Auchmithie. Arrived at high tide (8.00 pm) and stayed till 10.30.

A new PB for the cod! Had a few bites, lost a couple of fish but then hooked up with a big bruiser of a fish. As soon as I pulled into it I new it was a good un. The fish was a real thumper, it was getting its head down and had the tip of the rod bouncing around good-o. I was keeping my fingers crossed that this one would not fall off. Landing the fish proved to be a bit tricky in the light swell. Pulled the fish up onto the shingle and was a bit shocked when the hook fell out leaving the fish thrashing on the shingle. Luckily, I managed to rush forward and grab the fish before the next wave hit! – It was a bruiser and pulled the scales down to just over 7.5 lb. Well chuffed!

The Bruiser:
    [​IMG]

A couple of interesting things: I was definitely getting quite a few bites but not connecting with many fish – the bites were fairly gentle affairs. Even the fish I landed only had a gentle pull at the bait and was lightly hooked in the lip. When I left the baits longer for the big pull it never came, and when the line was retrieved I would inevitably find that most of the bait had gone. It was as if the fish were just sucking the bait off the hook despite the bait elastic (and I’m not shy with the thread). I’m sure if had I struck earlier for some of the other bites I probably would have landed more fish. At one point I was holding the rod in my hand and I could feel gentle nudges and nocks at the bait but no big pulls. I’m sure these were cod and not just small fish. I wonder if the delicate takes had something to do with the conditions. It was warmer than it had been recently, it was positively tropical at +3 °C, little wind, a clear sea, fairly calm, but with steady rollers coming in. In fact, the breaking wave created a bit of a problem with the fish due to the undertow. The fish were there, but I think not feeding particularly hard.

Bottom Right: Them's ma boots!
    [​IMG]

The bait that worked for me was a crab bait in a cocktail with squid. In fact, the big cod took my last peeler. I finished up soon after landing the fish, I was in a good mood, and as the tide receded I was getting caught up more frequently – so it was time to go.

[​IMG]

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Lovely fish there, well done :cool: :cool:

Almost missing my Cod fishing now!

3. sxtrail

sxtrail New Member

Probably because we're failing miserably at catching chub :(

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

5. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done, that's a great fish.....nice report too.

Regards Ian

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Very well Done Dave ,realy good catch , it is allways good to see a pb caught :cool:

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Really pleased for you David, And thanks for posting up a report. I didn't think it would be to long before you connected with a better fish. I am sure there will be plenty more to come in the future. Hope to maybe get up that way in the next few weeks and maybe join up with you in search of a monster cod.

Great stuff David now lets see if young Christopher can catch himself a PB.

Tightlines.

8. jasoncasper

jasoncasper Blenny

well done on the pb

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done. cracking fish

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Really pleased for you David its always nice to get a PB , Cod can be very strange biters at times varying from really hard pull downs
    to tentative plucking , once more very well done :yes: :yes:

11. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Well done on the PB mate,nice looking fish.

12. woody

woody New Member

well done mate always nice to get a pb !!!

13. bassman

bassman Administrator

Very nice fish well done on your PB :happy:

14. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, welldone on the pb mate, cracking fish

15. RU5TY1

RU5TY1 Glory Glory man united

well done on the new pb good to hear of some one getting a fish or 2 . there seems to be a few better fish showing if you can find them

16. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Many thanks for all the comments and posts. Hopefully, I'll have more news soon.

The fish are still there, just got to find them.