1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 3 Year Survey On Tees Barrage Problems

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Quote from here

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

I read it in the Gazette Glen. Threre are aslo letters in the Trout and Salmon Magazine on the issue, and interestingly one from the EA who defend their own spineless positon.

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Hello to all at WFF my name is P.Boiston i have been trying to get something done about the Slaughter of fish below the Tees Barrage,i first saw this in 2002 for myself and because having seen the buy out of the N-E nets i see the barrage as the biggest hurdle to any fish<salmon,sea-trout,ells,flatfish,whiting,bream>that end up being trapped in the tidal river Tees.The management see the Tees as a 1st class course fishery and see migratory fishers as a MINORITY .I dont put a label on myself because i just like to go fishing something i have enjoyed since my school days when i used to get the train to SALTBURN,WHITBY,& GLASDALE Iam a member of BAAC and fish the tees and the wear.Since i was given this computor last year i have been trying to make all people who are concerned about the slaughter by seals and cormerants at the Tees Barrage to sign the A-C-A free online petition .Since 2002 i have sent all my letters to the media ,and the MP by letter which i still prefer ,because i am only learning the internet.i have just received an E-mail telling me that 1000 signatures have been put on the A-C-A Petition no wonder the managment at B-waterways are calling us the minority.These fish are on the endangered list world wide and the tees seals are being allowed to kill 24-7 for another 3 years all because Britishwaterways will not listen to Fishermen.<lochbois>

4. woldedge

woldedge New Member

Here is the site for you all to sign the petition. No excuses
    http://www.a-c-a.org/barrage-petition.html

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Then when the salmon actually manage to get up the salmon ladder to the cage , the dozy warden doesnt even know he has fish in there as the counter never works....so by the time he realises there is 5 salmon in his cage , there all battered and bruised and doubt if they would make it to victoria bridge never mind eggleston...... :no:

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thats true Dav. By the way, do you fish up at Eggleston?

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

i was gona join the club several years ago with a local lad , but never got around to it , i thought it was a really long way to go for very little return if you get me ....lovely up there like , when you think of a salmon , up there springs to mind ,,,,,very powerful and special...

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

I've fished it for about 8 years now and have had some good fish out. I lost my biggest Salmon there about two years ago which i reckon was about 30ish. Half hour later i had a 15lber out. I havent seen a more beutiful place/river to fish to be honest.

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Awsome isnt it ....I tend to think there is some real monstors go up the river like , a couple of years ago i tried an early morning stint on the tees at the barrage , thinking ide have more chance of getting a fish due to no activity and the fact it was just breaking light ,, after a couple of flicks i managed to hook a slamon of about 2lb max ( the only genuine caught salmon ive seen from there , the rest being fouled ) :angry:, hooked fair n square on a size 2 mepps in the scissors..i was abit confused actually with it being so small, fresh as a daisy to , the scales were very everywere ...after a few more casts a salmon jumped clean of the weter no more than 1 yd from me , i fking shit it , i estimated the fish to be well over 30lb`s it was over well over a meter in length..... :sick: :happy:

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

I watched some massive fish down at the Barrage last year Dav. Did you go down there last summer? If it was in another country it would have been on a nature programne, as there was so many fish held up there, and the ever resident seals unfortunately. But like Lochbois, i'm concerned and i'm suspicious of the intention of the E.A, and i think its down to two reasons. 1, I firmly believe they are afraid of the Disney Brigade and 2, i think they are happy with it being (arguably) probably the best coarse river in the country.
    There is a letter in the Trout and Salmon where the author mentions that he wrote to the E.A about the seal situation and they wouldnt reply and when they did, they did not mention the seal problem. Well, i wrote to them about the seals and did they have any intention of re-stocking the river (not that it would need re-stocking if it got sorted out). They replied, but you would think that i didnt mention the word "seal" in my e mail. Like i've said before, the E.A are a spineless organisation, but just imagine if they weren't-the Tees would be up there with the Tyne as Englands best as far as i'm concerned.

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The number i person that has given me 100% is the Editor and his Staff at the Evening Gazette .FF&FTying have also gave me 100% .I Have information from the EA .I Am very disappointed by the lack of intrest by T&salmon who could not even send my stamped addressed letters back to my address.i am not a member of the A-C-A but since i was given a computor i have been made more aware of the pathetic going on by BRITISH WATERWAYS , THE ENVOIREMENT AGENCY on this slaughter . I cannot understand how BRITISH WATERWAYS are allowed to CAGE FISHES in such a small area 24-7 . The envoirement agency then have the nerve to ask for a 100% catch and release by TEES migratory anglers who are classed as the Minority by Britishwaterways.The A-C-A Petition needs all fisherpeople to give their support. The problem we are having on the Tees should also be a wake up call to the anglers who fish on the River Severn and its Tributeries. Any person who donated money to the buyout of the nets around England is being let down by the E-A and British Waterways who are more concerned with spending tax payers money on building training grounds for canoes in the hope of a medal when the OLYMPICS are held in Britain. How the RSPCA and other animal rights groups can sit back and allow endangered fishes to be slaughtered in this way is also beyond me. I would now be in jail if i held breeding fish in such crampped conditions <Lochbois>

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

Lochbois mate, you raise some good issues there. I have watched the pathetic way B.W run the fish cage at the Barrage. I've seen them kick the fish back into the water when they dont think anyones watching. I've heard them trying to impress spectators aby claiming that they check the cage every 30 minutes, as if they care for the so much.
    One cop out as you say is the E.A's request for us anglers to release Tees Salmon, while they do nothing about the Barrage situation. Incidently, why not catch and release for Sea Trout too-just a thought.

I posted a thread on F.F.F.T about the Barrage problem and expressed my concerns regarding the proposed Severn Barrage, but unfortunately i got only a few responses.

With regard to your question concerning the RSPCA and other groups, well like i've said before, these organisations are only concerned with Disney stuff, and creatures with fur and which look nice. Jusy look how the Fox suddenly became a nice cuddly animal, one that you lay on your settee and cuddle. To be honest, i wouldnt get these people involved, as they arn't worth the the stuff that comes out of my backside. They would rather blame anglers for the situation than the Seals. You seem to care so much for the Tees like myself, but i would, but i'd advocate keeping the RSPCA and other groups out of this major issue. Having said that, they wouldnt be interested anyway, unless they want to do us harm. If they did care, why havn't they done so, so far? Possibly, you cant cuddle fish-Spineless people.

Trout and Salmon? Now thats a good one. I've e mailed them a few times for information on various things, and they have never replied. It makes me wonder who our friends are in life-as anglers.

British Waterways and canoeing? Well again, it links to image etc, which links to the RSPCA, so i'll say no more on that one.

Finally, as i'm usually down the Barrage at least 3 times a week and more in the Summer. i'm sure i must have spoken to you. I was going down ther almost ever day last summer, and it got to the point that when i turned up just before high tide, they lowered the gates. I just wonder if they thought i was from the A.C.A or someone else keeping an eye on things, because it happened on a number of occasions. I always felt that they wouldnt have bothered otherwise.

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

hello Davo. I think that the gates are on a computer .I have seen them worked manually . I Have been watching for fish going over the gate and for some reason they arnt .I have read they are using the site as a training ground ,aswell as the BOROS training ground for the 2012 olympics.As i have said i cannot understand why all migratory fish need to be trapped in that small cage. I was down their two nights last year and bellow the barrage was like feeding time on a fish farm,with fish leaping everywere.There was a large schoal of sprats around the fish pass .I also saw 2 large fish caught around the old river tees mouth . I havent caught a migratory fish up at egglestone , i have caught a few browns, but i do most of my fishing on the Wear .I call that ladder <the snakes and ladder> .The person that thought that ladder and cage up,must of went to school with the person who made that other landmark The Angel Of The North. Britishwaterways have been given a Get out of jail card by the EA so that they can concentrate on the White Water Course at the expence of Tees fish.Hopefully some body will see sence and let the fish into the river.<lochbois>

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have just read in the Teesside Evening Gazette that we might be getting Salt water lagoons ,we might get a new transport network ,public acess to riverside areas could be improved and an estuary park could be created at billingham beck,Tees Valley Wildlife Trust could be involved in work to enhance Portrack Marshes.The Stockton- Middlesbrough Initiative was launched almost five years ago.I hope these people dont ask British Waterways for advice on improvements around the Tees Valley Development this dream they talk about will never happen.<lochbois>

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Lets hope British Waterways dont want another barrage below the Boro. There was talk once of this happening.

16. bucko

bucko Guest

The Leven was absolutely raging when I drove over it last night- lets hope a few springers decide to run during this high water before ending up as seal supper.

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

I seen a nice springer only last week near Newport Bridge. Unfortunately, it was in the mouth of a Bull Seal.

18. lochbois

lochbois Guest

It makes you wonder why we keep paying to fish in England,We are still waiting to be told when we can take a springer,We are waiting for another threeyear survey to decide the obvious on the dam across the Tees.The EA and Britishwaterways see these problems yet they dont even have the decency to admit their is a man made problem ,instead they expect anglers to fund their scientific research .I love the Tees Valley and i dont want to travel 100 miles to fish when we have all the water and fish on our doorstep being wasted by the blinkered Bosses who are only concerned about their jobs at the expence of Tees and its tributeries fish stockes.They boast about creating 24 hour white watersport and about how they will save electricity by installing turbines in the river.We already have turbines killing fish at the Power Station at Hartlepool.I havnt got my licence yet but i saw the Skerne at Darlington is high so will wait till they run off. I have paid my subs for BAAC who have alot of water on the WEAR .<FROM lochbois> :wink: :pray:

19. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I wonder if British waterways are going to purchase any new items in their new studies that are to be carried out 2008-20011 to find out where migratory fish go to after being caught in their trap.I visited the Tees Barrage on saturday and saw that they are still employing a member of their staff to use the Net and the piece of wood to measure the fish.I would have thought £500,000 Pounds could have bought an Electronic Fish Counter rather than employ a member of staff to do this job of releasing a migratory fish every time it is caught in the small cage at the Tees Fish Passage.It must be very stessfull for the fishes to be manhandled after surviving the seals that slaughter fish daily, and it must be very time consuming to man the cage all year round everyday for the next three years. :confused: :sad: :angry:<lochbois>

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Envoirement Agency and Britishwaterways To meet the A.C.A

In the Teesside Evening Gazette .Andrew Wilkinson says that the management of the E-A and Britishwaterways are to meet on June 24 at Stockton-on Tees organised by the Anglers Concervation Association .Lets hope they rea.lise that anglers are getting sick of having to watch the daily slaughter that is being allowed ,and at the same time telling anglers that their needs to be another 10 YEAR ban to conserve spring fish .How can any body record fish swimming up a river to spawn when the TEES Has not got a modern electronic fish counter like the WEAR and the Tyne have .I wonder if this meeting is behind closed doors or will anglers and the general public will be allowed in .I see more people takeing an intrest following the publicity given to the public through the Evening Gazette.If the Tees fish that end up in a seal below the Barrage had the chance to get past the barrage we may even get a Tees River report in the Trout and Salmon in the future .We live in hope that we get salmon back in our Steel River.