1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP ABOUT FLIES!

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by ryanfish, May 22, 2008.

1. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

Hi guys

just wondering if anybody knows what are the best flies to use
    for trout in the river esk near sleights bridge and scailing dam. i have just started taking up
    fly fishing whilst sea fishing is not on.
    any advise is very helpful.

thanks Ryanfish

2. bucko

bucko Guest

Hello Ryan,

On the Esk something like a Peter Ross should get you one or two as should black pennel, greenwells glory, pheasant tail nymph and march brown. Sea trout and salmon will also take these as will the odd grayling.

As for Scaling- Black, orange, white, olive and luminous 'Fritz' lures, Daddy long legs, Gold Ribbed Hares Ear and black and peacock spider should pull you one or two out. Oh, and a Dawsons Olive.

If you want (seeing as you're a young un), I've a bag of 'seconds' from fly tying that I can drop off with Glenn next time I'm in Whitby and he can pass them onto you or your Dad for you (If thats OK with him). They aren't going to win fly tying comps but the fish won't mind that at all. I'd rather see a young fisher get them than them sit there doing nothing.

3. mikefish

mikefish Blenny

Cheers bucko that would be very kind of you if you would do that,

thanks mike

4. bucko

bucko Guest

No worries Mike.

I should be over in the next week or so (sooner if our lass decides she's in the mood for taking me out for a bank holiday drinky at Whitby).

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Bucko.

Not sure my memory works so good but I Think the fly I used to do well with for the little brownies on the Esk was the black midge ??

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

good on yer bucko, and yer cant go wrong with the flies bucko has suggested, but i would add some bloodwormy type patterns as i have had a fair bit of sucess on them

cheers dan

7. bucko

bucko Guest

A 'Black Gnat' perhaps?

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi there Ryan,

I hear the fly fishing is coming on well. What have you caught so far ? and where from. Also what flies are turning out to be the best.

9. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

hi glen

ive had 9 brownies under sleights bridge so far and went to scailing dam yesterday but lost two on the dansil nymth and i have been getting the brownies ona midge,going down this afternoon will post how i get on tonight.

thanks Ryan

10. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

went to have ago on te fly last night got a decent sizes brownie for down at sleights,
    went today and got another one.

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done Ryan, don,t be straying too far away from the sea though :wink:

12. bucko

bucko Guest

Well done. It might be worth using a leader of 8lb or so if this rain has hit the river though- some big fish will take small flies down there.
    Glenn should have some flies for you today- I couldn't find the big bag of them but as soon as I do they're yours.

13. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

thanks bucko,
    i went to scailing dam yesterday and caught a 2 and a half pounder and 1 and a half
    pound rainbow trout.

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

i was up scalin yesterday :happy:

15. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

how many did you catch and where abouts were you.
    i did not see you

thanks ryan

16. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

i started off down the whitby end of the dam, but moved up to the guisboro end later on and had 2 and lost 2 up there, I think i saw you in the shop, were you with 3 others???