1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Weekend At The Mull Of Galloway - A Pollack Fest

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Further Reading On Sea Fishing At The Mull Of Galloway In Scotland

Sea Fishing At The Mull Of Galloway - Late June 2014

June had almost ticked by and I was becoming very aware that my very favourite time of year was passing by fast with very few fishing opportunities opening up.

When its almost July and your keen to fish but the weather has held you back you can become very aware the summer is slipping away. With this in mind I looked at the forecast and once again was dissapointed to see yet another weekend of northerlies forecast. So I decided to look at other options !!

Every summer we do a lot of talking about doing more fishing and visiting more places, and every summer, time slips by and winter encroaches and we never venture far at all. On the egenda for this year were Wales and Northumberland, but as always most parties arent interested, so I decided to go it alone.

I decided against Wales as the places I wanted to go are pretty much unknown teritory, and going blind and on your own isnt much fun. Its fine when 3 or 4 of you go as you often manage to motivate each other and work things out as a group.

The Northerly winds meant Northumberland would aslo be a no go area so I opted for the south west coast of Scotland. I arrived at Drummore at roughly 8pm on The Friday evening and decided on a bit of bass fishing in Terrelly bay. As the tide started flooding I manged 4 small schoolies which confimred the fish were here and my trip across the border had been worth while.

I stayed at the East Muntloch Croft Bed And Breakfast, which was excellent value at £30 per night with a full Scottish breakfast each morning. The owners were very friendly and couldnt do enough for you. The cottage itself was very clean and tidy and finished to an excellent standard.

Saturday I awoke to beautiful weather. Nice warm sunshine, a few clouds and no wind.... Perfect for Pollack fishing on the Irish Sea Coast behind Drummore. I quickly drove down to the tackle shop in Drummore and bought some frozen sandeel, then back to the coast, crossing the farmers fields (with permission) prior to descending the steep cliffs to the rocks below.

The next 4 hours upto high tide were frantic. I float fished the sandeels at roughly 14ft below the surface and it was virtually a bite a cast. In total I would estimate I managed 30 + Pollack for the day witht he biggest going 5lb. I also managed a few other species on the spinner, with The ever faithful Abu Toby sorting out the wrasse and coalies.

Towards high tide the bites slowed significantly and I had had enough. A quick climb up the cliff, then over to Stranraer for petrol before going for tea in Portpatrick. I must say I was quite shocked by Port Patrack. The Mull Of Galloway can not hold a light to the beauty of Northern Scotland and The Highlands, and the reason i like to go there is certainly more for the fishing than the scenery, but Portpatrick took me completely by surprise. This was my first visit and I would definately return. It has a feel of a little cornish village with beauty shops and pubs along the harbour front.

That evening I chilled rather than do any more fishing, then it was an early night and back to The Pollack grounds on Sunday. This time I tried a slightly different mark in search of a bigger fish, but sadly it wasnt to be with the biggets only going around 4lb, but the fishing had once again been frantic with over 30 fish again for the session. Sunday evening was spent kayak fishing in Luce Bay, but the strongish north winds made it hard going so I once again opted for the early night.

Monday was to be a poorer day on the fishing front. The weather was perfect. No wind at all, crystal blue still water and not a cloud in the sky, but the fish just never wanted to play ball today. The bites were much slower and eventually they dried up completely. My only explanation would be the lack of cloud. perhaps the pollack just didnt like the extremely strong sunlight on the water.

I returned home Monday afternoon after an excellent weekends fishing in Scotland. There seems to be plenty of pollack about this year, although speaking to the charter skippers the big double figure pollack havent made a show as yet. There is bass in the bay and with the better months still ahead perhaps this year will see the Mull return to top form after last summers poor show.

Thankyou for taking the time to read my report. Here are a few pictures which I hope you will enjoy. Next stop Isle Of Skye next Saturday.

The Marks On The Irish Sea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fishing Shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Scenery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

fantastic mate,

cant wait for next week

3. congerball

congerball Blenny

Another top quality report Glenn and stunning photos as usual.

Judging by the reports it's really picked up. Great news for all!!

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a top notch report Glenn , nice fish and cracking photographs , a few of my old haunts on there and great memories over the years , you mentioned about the lovely , good water quality , but the fish not playing ball it has happened to us a couple of times over at
    ramseys farm , maybe floating very deep or even ledgering with a lightish rod and bullet with a sand eel might have improved things
    I remember I was fishing a mark with Gary on the irish sea side towards Portpatrick , the water was quite coloured we did our normal things and struggled for the Pollack on float , I thought I would try really shallow 4 to 5 feet deep ---- BINGO --- I was into fish straight away , I gave GJW a shout and he was straight into them , we ended with a decent haul quite a few going between 5 to 7lb , so it shows
    you never know

5. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb stuff Glenn looks like you had a great time.

Love the quality pictures.

Lots of good bass from over that way last weekend.

6. glassback

glassback Blenny

great report and pics glen .
    it certainly wets my appetite to go there again.
    it must be 20 odd years since i last went there
    getting down infront of the lighthouse was a bit dodgy .
    great scenery looking over the harbour though .
    east tarbet and west tarbet used to be popular spots then aswell
    i think we stayed in the pub at portpatrick last visit there

7. bigcod31

bigcod31 Peter Mcfarlane kaskazi dorado

Cracking report glen and superb photos.

8. ianc

ianc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What ah great report mate ,from a jock ;D

9. limpet

limpet Blenny

Top fishing report and photos thanks for sharing, looking forward to the Skye report good luck

10. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Another awesome report, Glen, and cracking pictures.
    Think you did well not going to Wales. The south, at any rate.
    Will do a report of my blanks though!

Definitely sold Mull to me though.
    And roll on Skye!

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cracking report Glenn, Your reports are always top quality and pictures are awesome.. The Mull is a very special place for me, probably because I have been going many years and holds some great memories and has given us some fantastic fishing but just has a great feeling about it, when I Drive down the road along Luce Bay to Drummore I get a great content feeling a bit like this is were I belong.

So many happy times with so many great friends..

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Get yourself up Andy, your welcome to join up with us for some Bassing and Pollack fishing. We will be up Early August and promise not to take you anywhere to dangerous..lol, Well Alan is 70 now and still goes up a down the Buzzer but we just have to keep an eye on him these days, Certainly none of our climbs are as bad as Bird Ash in my opinion..

13. glassback

glassback Blenny

i may take you up on that gary
    i keep saying i will go back up again
    just let me no when you are heading back up
    i dont mind were it is ive fished most marks up there .
    mind you that was with bait mainly and odd lures for pollack

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Portpatrick is a lovely place , very scenic , it used to be the old crossing point to Ireland before Loch Ryan was developed ----- it offers
    some top notch fishing to the south of it , theres some good sized congers in the harbour , yellow isle about half a mile to the north of
    portpatrick gave some great plaice fishing , as well as Mackie , gurnards, a chance of a skate and tope , as GJW said there is some places not to bad to get down / on to , I still manage the harder ones BUT I think I might be running out of adventures on some of them ! mind you when I get to Harrys age ! LOL

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ha Game over then Alan :)

16. robq

robq Rockling

Stunning pics telling the story as always 8)

Thanks for sharing a great trip glenn :)

17. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Glen, a lovely read, thanks for taking the time and the photo's!

18. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Nice report glenn.glad you had a good time.i always praise portpatrick its a beatiful place a nd a good night out.
    We are off there fri.hope the fish play ball.
    There islalways the beer I n portpatrick as plan b!!!
    We're staying in the downshire! !!!!!

19. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I too sometimesfind fish wo t play.i then fish sometimes up to 25 ft in places to get a few!!!!

20. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Glenn, fantastic pictures. I'm up there for 4 days at the beginning of August for some Bass and Pollack fishing, can't wait.