1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Summer of fishing so far... Reports and pictures.

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by GJW, Jul 14, 2013.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Early June saw me heading around the coast of Scotland. Something I have always wanted to do is to travel up the West coast and along the North Coast and back down the East.. So packed my car with my tent and plenty of food and fishing gear I set off.. I decided to start my trip in the Gareloch and fish the famous Rhu Narrows after hearing the stories of the huge catches of Cod and Coalfish that were caught in the 70's and 80's. After stopping of in the Clyde and collecting some peeler crabs I headed to the Rhu Narrows on the Rosneath side.. The weather was superb but sadly not the fishing after a few hours without so much as a bite I decided to call it a day.. I then headed to Arrochar on Loch Long and pitched my tent and headed to fish a mark were Big Cliff had caught a fair few double figure cod back in the 70's..

I fished for about 4 hours but all I could muster was a small codling of around 2lb. Funny though as I was went to cast my line out, I turned to find a fox rummaging through my rucksack. I walked back and to my surprise it did not scatter, but just looked at me as to say have you got any food for me, well I dug into my bag and found a packet of Morrisons custard doughnuts which it seemed to like..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well the fishing didn't get any better so headed through the clouds of midges and back to the campsite for the night... :snore: :snore:

The weather was super so stopped over at Oban and tried for the Spurdogs in Loch Etive but all I could catch was Dogfish after Dogfish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well it was time to head further North and my next stop was at Loch Sunart.. Again I could not of asked for better weather and driving along the winding roads alongside the Lochs with all the wooded sides filled with Bluebells and Rhododendrons was a sight to be seen..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I had a few peeler crabs left and a few sandeels that I had bought in Oban so decieded to have a go for some Thornback Rays, It was'nt long after I cast my line that the first ray pulled down on the rod tip.. It was only a small one about 2lb..

[​IMG]

Well the word must of got round that there was peeler crab on the menu, because it wasnt too long before the next bite and then the next, all in all I landed 9 Thornbacks and snagged up with a few too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done a little Kayak fishing a caught a few more Thornbacks and Dogfish and Gurnard. The best Thornback went a little over 8lb..

The area around Sunart Is stunning, had a good look around before heading further North up to Skye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Midges were out in force..

Well after a few days of lazing in the sun doing nothing apart from fishing and touring around the Moidart peninsular, I captured my first sight of a Golden Eagle..

But now it was time to head further North to Malliag to catch the ferry to Skye and passing the white sands of Morar on route.

Well I had a fantastic time on Skye and was sad when I had to leave, what a fantastic Island, met some great friends and caught plenty of fish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught lots of Pollack at Neist Point..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught some good Thornbacks of Armadale Pier with the best just over 10lb..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While on Skye, I caught Pollack, Dogfish, Bass, Coalfish, Thornbacks and Mackerel. Neist point was best for variety of species, but just so much more scope, never did get to try all the spots I wanted..

Well it was time to leave Skye and continue further North..

The weather had turned now and strong winds and heavy rain followed me as I headed past Loch Carron, My plans were to spend some time in Loch Torridon but the bad weather put a stop to that as I continued through Loch Torridon and headed for a B& B in Ullapool.. Tried to catch Mackerel for bait without any success and could not find anywere to buy any.. So headed up past the Summer Isles and tried again to catch Mackerel on the small pier at Achiltibuie but again after an hour of feather not a single Mackerel just a couple of small pollack and coalfish.. It was getting serious.. :embarrass:

So headed to LochInver.. I tried once again for Mackerel for bait as I had no peelers left but again nothing, I fished small redgills and caught Pollack and Coalfish but nothing of any great size.. The drive along this part of Coastline is awesome, just single track roads that hug the side of the cliffs and twist and turn around the cliff side. I was wanting to fish the Point of Stoer but when I arrived the heavens opened and visability was poor so gave it a miss..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wild life was unreal lots of Deer around. Even spotted this one wandering its way down the main street in the middle of the day without a care in the world... It just passed the Butchers were they had a sign in the Window saying fresh Venison here, which didnt seem to bother it.. :embarrass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well with no bait and the weather getting worse by the minute I headed up and across the North Coast, I was dissapointed as I really wanted to see Cape Wrath and the surrounding areas in some fine weather. Its a bleak place with very few trees and in bad weather its not nice... :sad:

[​IMG]

I managed to dig some Lugworm and srape enough crab from the rocks for a few fishing sessions, but still the weather was poor.

I then headed Upto Dunnet head and then down the coast past Wick and down to the Durnoch Firth were I seen plenty of Dolphins. I fished the coastline around Banff and Macduff and had a few codling and small pollock but to be fair my bait was far from great, did manage a fat red cod which was of better size..

[​IMG]

With the weather staying unsettled I kept on the move and headed down past Aberdeen, and had a go fishing from the rocks at Port Lethan, Findon, and Crawton were I caught mostly small codlings with the odd pollack and Coalfish and Wrasse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well next trip was a week fishing the area north of Arbroath with good pals father and son Alan (Big Cliff) and Martin Jackson.. We were joined by a couple of our very good Scottish Friends Jimmy the Cod and Ross Crab-Cruelty..

We had a superb weeks weather and not a spot of rain in sight.. Me, Mart and Alan caught 136 sizeable cod, plus a fair few small ones and pollack dogfish and coalfish.. We even caught a few Cod on lead heads..

Alan shows it maybe his 70th birthaday coming up but he doesnt let that get in the way of catching a few cod..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy the cod.. :cheesy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was lots of fresh run fish about so decided on fishing two hooks in the cleaner spots and landed a fair few double shots..

[​IMG]

Getting ready for another cod session..

[​IMG]

Caught a few cod on lead heads..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ross (Crab Cruelty) was over the moon with his first Cod on a leadhead..

[​IMG]

Nice double shot for me 5lb 8oz top hook and 3lber bottom..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well i cant say anymore than what a fantastic week fishing with great lads.. I guess the smiles on the Photo's speak for themselves... :happy: :happy:

Happy Fishing to you all... :happy:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You can go off someone you know :) :laugh: Fantatsic stuff once again Garry, really looking forward to my 2 trips to scotland this summer. Thanks for sharing yours.

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Awsome stuff Gary very impressed mate . Shame them big cods of yesteryear in them lochs weren't still there, im sure you would of gotton a hold of one if they were . I must say that fox looks abit game like , ide of shited mesell and bricked the bugger haha .
    Nice one mate and a big well done .. :yes: :yes:

4. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for taking the time to put up those great pics, and the report. Looks an awesome trip, one of my favorite parts of the world that NW coast of Scotland, it's been too long since I was there.

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Awesome Gary! One hell of a trip that bud, some lovely fish and stunning part of the world. Excellent stuff :yes:

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

What a fantastic read once again mate, it is a pleasure to read these sort of reports ,loaded with information for all to see,

hope i can keep up with Alan i am just short of my 60,th birthday and dont think i am as fit as him ha ha ,
    for me you can keep all the pampered celeb anglers and read it all here from the real mc,coy the best anglers who realy do know how to catch fish ,well done to all .

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Awesome Gary........I ve really enjoyed your summer reports over the last few years, this one as usual spectacular....you and the usual crew look like you had a great time.

Thanks for going to such trouble to post a another quality report.

p.s. I thought you'd sold the kayak ?

8. ric4ard

ric4ard Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report and some stunning pictures u lucky bugger wish the wife would let me go fishing for that long I need to get out and fish now after reading your report now where did the wife do with my tackle

9. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great post loved the report and foto's ,, could of read stuff like that for hours,, scotland is so like norway,,well done that man,, :wink:

10. bucko

bucko New Member

Marvellous report- a trip like that has to be good for the soul!

11. A stunning set of photos

Very interesting

Cheers

U

12. andym

andym Rockling

Outstanding report and pics Gary as usual looked like an awesome trip

13. deecee

deecee Blenny

Superb report Gary. Thanks for posting . So jealous!

14. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

What a quality report with some Stunning pics Gary. What an adventure, told you I was looking forward to the report when you said you were going and you didn't disappoint mate :happy: Joe will love having a go for those thornies off that pier next week!!

15. kayos

kayos Guest

Just the best report I have ever read - Amazing!

16. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Top quality report Gary .

Some lovely fishy and scenic shots, looks like you had a dream trip.

Maybe you should become an angling guide instead of going back to work :educated:

Nice to see the team getting among the cod at Arbroath , looked like a cracking week.

Bring on The Mull !

17. stevie62

stevie62 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Terrific report and photo's,thanks for sharing.

18. limpet

limpet Blenny

top class fishing report and pics, what an adventure!!!! thanks for sharing :cool:

19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

WOW!!That is some report.incredible place Scotland pity it's full of jock's :whistle:..i fished rhu narrow's in the late 60s it was an incredible place....alas like a lot of good thing's in life they don't seem to last long,just keep it up mate I love reading your report's..they are better than any angling book's......well done...mick. :happy:

20. robq

robq Rockling

Awesome report and pics gary :cool: as always !!

looks like you had a good trip !!

All those east coast codlings will spoil you for this winter though :hungry: