1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My longest fight ever with a North Sea shark

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Jun 6, 2011.

1. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

think you need to get inside the reel mart fit smoothdrag carbon clutch washer fit another bellville washer big dollop of cal`s drag grease seen alan tani`s wright up followed it to the letter all parts available from Blakdog tackle ive just done all three of mine and fitted the big power alloy handles & Pac -bay alloy butts seen 18lbs of drag but will use 15lbs of drag with my 50lbs class daiwa rods ill show you when you pop round monday tightlines Alain

2. mww

mww Rockling

...nah, that was at the "Strike" position, any more & I'd have dragged the poor fragile wife off the decking :surprise:....plus you've got to leave some margin for when the reel gets emptier as well, lower diameter = more drag....simple leverage calculation based on diminishing diameter...or did I dream that one...!! :educated:

Mart

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mart i think youll find once the drag poundage as been set the only thing that changes is the ratio of line coming off or going on more line on the spool the higher the ratio and vice versa ? tightlines Alain

4. cps

cps Rockling

less line = more drag 12lb on a full reel might be 20 lb when its empty :surprise:

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Chris ok so do you you set the max drag at the start of the fight (full spool) or do you let the fish run and as it takes line it slowley increase the the drag upto the pre set 15lbs food for thought ? tightlines Alain

6. MCP

MCP Blenny

Hi Mart,
    When I set the drag on the game reels I use a bucket of water with the appropriate number of litres of water in it to set the Kgs. we normally set the drag 1/3 of the line strength. I stand in the boat and lift the bucket off the ground with the rod and set the drag so that the line comes off very slowly when the drag is set at strike. So no need to put a circle hook through Mrs W's lip. When playing a big fish if it takes a lot of line you have to take into account there can be considerable drag caused by the line itself especially if the fish swims in a big arc, so you have to back the drag off even further. I have known people to lose fish just from line pressure alone.
    Should be back on Friday but the latest is volcanic ash from Chile is causing flight disruptions.

Cheers,

Mick

7. mww

mww Rockling

The bucket of water thing's a good idea - I'm considering a variation, where Mrs W holds the rod with me hanging off it & the kids throw me pies & cans of beer until the drag slips.... :surprise:

Hopefully see you Friday - what time is your flight due in? Interesting to hear about the Chilean volcano thing, just as well nowt like that affects us up here in the developed hemisphere.... :ugly:

Anyway, a long standing Medical Practitioner like you should have his own Lear Jet by now....

Mart

8. cps

cps Rockling

Anyway, a long standing Medical Practitioner like you should have his own Lear Jet by now....

Mart :angry: :angry: :angry:
    more like two

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

Regarding your query Alain - the side of an Everol reel shows the principle of how drag increases, as the spool empties. I think these numbers on the side of the reel will be pounds pressure rather than kilograms.

[​IMG]

10. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rupert i understand what your saying but on a cheaper reel is it best to set the Maxium drag at half spool capacity so then the drag would slowly increase in pressure as the fish takes line anyway dont be catching any big ones while im away & if you do please send me a email theres only one reel ill have TIAGRA ill make do with the two speed penns until i save a few Bob tightlines Alain

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

I set my maximum drag on a full spool, then back the drag as needs be as the spool empties, but one click at a time.

On my Shimano Tiagras, just three clicks back on the lever drag makes quite a difference from max drag.

12. mww

mww Rockling

hmmm...84lb at the inner highest setting :surprise: :surprise:...

think I'd be un hooking the the harness & getting ready to take a turn of line round a cleat at that stage..... :whistle:

13. mww

mww Rockling

...mind, I did read somewhere that when the top Marlin boats get a biggie on & to the stage where they're nearly spooled, they attach another rod to the spooled reel's lugs & chuck the rod & reel over the side....

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Mart, I'm a dab hand at throwing rods and reels over the side..........

15. mww

mww Rockling

...it's been said that you Kayakers are the saviours of many a tackle shop!! :whistle:

16. cps

cps Rockling

when i was in the keys a guy hooked a tarpoon at one side of a bridge that the boat wouldent fit under so they lash a life jacket on it and sent it under the bridge then shot round and got it on the other side , landed the fish to

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!