1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My longest fight ever with a North Sea shark

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Jun 6, 2011.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

Another species for the list .............
    Went out for another mission yesterday - bit of a disaster on the porbeagle front. A day of straightened hooks and lost fish. But the first toothy critter on board was a tope of about 25lbs! Pretty early for these to show. Let's hope they turn up inshore in good time this year.

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Didn't blank then :cheesy: Shame about the lost fish though Rupert, bet it was fun trying though :yes:

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rupert shame about the lost fish but there is aways another day was the tope inshore or offshore tightlines Alain

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

We were offshore Alain.

The tope was taken on a float fished bait set at 15metres in 70 metres of water. Who says they are bottom feeders!

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rupert i usually have one bait on the bottom (deadbait) and one free roving livebait just like in piking tightlines Alain

6. rupert

rupert Blenny

The first fish aboard was a tope. The next run was obviously a porbeagle - I played it for 40 minutes and we never saw a glimpse of it. I passed the rod over to Rich Ward, as up to press he's only had "small" sub 100lb sharks! I knew this was a good'un and I really wanted him to experience the raw power first hand.

I had just passed the rod to him, when it set off on another run. Rich stuck to the rod, although it really was ripping line off - when the hook pulled. He reeled in a well bent Mustad Sea Demon hook and a 400lb rubbing leader that was shredded to half its diameter in places! Poor Rich was gutted, as he felt it was his fault. He really did nothing wrong, it would have happened to me if I had kept hold of the rod. Sh!t happens in fishing!!

The day didn't get any better in that we lost two more. Just when you think you have everything sussed - it suddenly turns to worms!

7. mww

mww Rockling

Rupert

glad it wasn't just me who managed to lose a shark today...expect we were 3 or 4 miles south of you...launched 0530, mackerel a plenty by 0600, on station before 0800...

we saw our first ever porbeagle on the surface just outside the chum slick about 1030, my rod went a couple of minutes later...played with the bait a bit, then set off - I racked the drag up a bit, & watched as my line dug in on the spool, which bound up, all went tight then the rubbing leader parted at the swivel to the wire...schoolboy error really, loaded the line a few weeks ago, & usually run it off when underway & wind back on under tension on the first trip...forgot to do that & unfortunately paid the price :cry: :cry:

Another couple of minutes later Chris's rod went, but after larking with the bait a bit it managed to escape along with his bait....assume it was the same fish again? :sad:

No more shark action for the rest of the day, we stuck it out until 5pm.

Mart

8. woody

woody New Member

so thats 3 runs then rupert off poss 3 different sharks , just shows the numbers these things are in !!!

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

I had one part on the rubbing leader to the swivel too. A brand new 400lb leader I'd just made up. It didn't fail on the crimps, but rather broke over the anti chaffe plastic horseshoe, just how, I still haven't sussed.

I think there's no substitution for getting your gear ready at home, then tying onto an immovable object and riving as hard as you can, just to test everything. Something I didn't do on that particular leader - and paid the price.

Some of the takes I've had have been very picky too - I've had a few dropped this season and yesterday two snatched off the rubber band bridle rig, leaving an empty hook. They were chunky bands too, but no match for those teeth I guess!

Stick at it Mart - I smell success is very close for you.

10. cps

cps Rockling

think i was more peed of than mart as braid line tenshon is one of my pet hates, i always check other peoples befor we go toping if they haven been befor as i lost a tope in the early days [for us] when the line went out of sink with the levalwind line one side spreader the other and bang gone, never gave it a thoughjt that mart wouldent have a rig for spooling up
    was a big fish when it swam past , me and mick reconed 5 ft from tail to dorsil
    stil theres always next time

11. mww

mww Rockling

I had one part on the rubbing leader to the swivel too. A brand new 400lb leader I'd just made up. It didn't fail on the crimps, but rather broke over the anti chaffe plastic horseshoe, just how, I still haven't sussed.

I think there's no substitution for getting your gear ready at home, then tying onto an immovable object and riving as hard as you can, just to test everything. Something I didn't do on that particular leader - and paid the price.

[/quote]

Rupert your mono/ thimble failure is something that's quite interesting - the failure yesterday was quite similar, but instead of a thimble, I'd got a flemish eye in the 500lb mono connection to the swivel top eye, & it failed in there - got the ally crimp back with curly long & short ends below it...

We assumed failure through strangulation or the swivel eye cutting the mono & was thinking that we might have been better with a & thimble....

Anyway, I blame cps for not checking my gear for me, after all I'ts been available in my garage nearly all winter, & he could easily have come round during his period of incapacity & checked it over instead of breaking bits of braid with his chain block!!!

Cheers

Mart

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :whistle: he's got breaking things down to a fine art now mart. Are you leaving the crimps on his leg to desolve naturally :hurt:

I bet when you are making those rigs up they seem way ott and it's hard to believe that those hooks Rupert uses can be straightened. It's difficult to imagine the power of a fish untill you see things like that.

13. cps

cps Rockling

when that fish swam past yesterday one sentance sprang to mind " we need a biger boat " i did have the water on hand for his reel though LOL

14. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mart sorry to here about the lost fish when i first saw the leader and hook length Rupert sent me to copy i thought hells bell what fish could brake that then he showed me the straightened hook F/sake you would need a two foot bar and a vice the do that damage just shows the immense power the porbeagle have fancy Chris not checking your gear what a mate would the crimps fit round hiis neck :laugh: :laugh: tightlines Alain

15. cps

cps Rockling

Rupert your mono/ thimble failure is something that's quite interesting - the failure yesterday was quite similar, but instead of a thimble, I'd got a flemish eye in the 500lb mono connection to the swivel top eye, & it failed in there - got the ally crimp back with curly long & short ends below it...

We assumed failure through strangulation or the swivel eye cutting the mono & was thinking that we might have been better with a & thimble....

Anyway, I blame cps for not checking my gear for me, after all I'ts been available in my garage nearly all winter, & he could easily have come round during his period of incapacity & checked it over instead of breaking bits of braid with his chain block!!!

Cheers

Mart
    [/quote]
    had another thought last night , have you checked the drag for smothness and it wasent that that sezed which caused the line to dig in ?

16. mww

mww Rockling

[/quote]
    had another thought last night , have you checked the drag for smothness and it wasent that that sezed which caused the line to dig in ?
    [/quote]

Bl@@dy hell, something else you didn't check for me!!...don't know why I let you take me out for nowt....!!!

Seriously (ish), if it stops raining long enough, Mrs W is going to make her debut trial as a porbeagle...mind, she doesn't know yet so I wouldn't hold your breath for a result!!

Mart

17. cps

cps Rockling

[/quote]

Bl@@dy hell, something else you didn't check for me!!...don't know why I let you take me out for nowt....!!!

Seriously (ish), if it stops raining long enough, Mrs W is going to make her debut trial as a porbeagle...mind, she doesn't know yet so I wouldn't hold your breath for a result!!

Mart
    [/quote]
    that wiil test the drag :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    hope she dont read this :hurt: :hurt:

18. rupert

rupert Blenny

Lorenzo Mitchell-Henry tested his tunny tackle by fastening it to the back of his Bentley and getting his chauffeur to drive off.

Sounds a rather spiffing solution don't you think Mart?

19. mww

mww Rockling

She did suggest pulling against her Pickup, but I didn't want to writhe the towbar off... :cheesy:

Bless her she did assist, although she did want to do the heaving on the rod while I tugged on the other end with spring balance in hand - pulled about 12lb of drag, & seemed smooth enough, so don't need to stumble blindly into the Shimano's innards just yet... :ugly:

Mart

20. cps

cps Rockling

only 12lb was that at full , think i better take some reeding materal with us next time as it may take a while