1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My longest fight ever with a North Sea shark

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Jun 6, 2011.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

My preferred shark hook is a Mustad sea demon 7732's in 9/0 or 10/0. That's the one that landed the two sharks.

The circle hook I tried again was a Mustad 39960D size 18/0. That's the one that lost the next two sharks!

The circle was the same pattern that I had to use with the CEFAS guys last year. I really like the concept of circles, but for whatever reason, they just don't seem to work for me.

From now on, I'm going to stick to J hooks but modify the barbs, so they are all but barbless. I've also made a new design of discorger, so that it should be a doddle to remove the J hook, regardless of the position of the hook in the sharks mouth.

2. congerball

congerball Blenny

Unbelievable fishing. That's some report Rupert. Stunning photos, sounds like a great fight!

3. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Thanks for a great day Rup
    A shark fatter than me -but a lot more energetic!!!!

Regards John

4. ste muir

ste muir New Member

WOW! What a top notch write up Rupert,really enjoyed reading it.Awesome scrap you had there,dont think my back could have took it you must have been goosed by the end.Well done and thanks for sharing it with us.

5. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

What a brilliant report Rupert,
    A big well done on the battle you won :yes:
    A cracking team of dedicated anglers you are :yes:

6. cps

cps Rockling

we mart will be itching to get at them now ,
    good job we got the years cod quota caught the day befor you got the sharks :cheesy: , wew did think about sharking but the forcast fo 20mph nw for diner time on the monday swung it into a morning cod trip :yes:

7. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice one rupert .awsome

8. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

The word "awesome" is overused a lot these days - but it describes your day and your report perfectly. My hat is well and truly off to you sir :cool:

Stickman

9. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

awesome Rupert

10. woody

woody New Member

very well done rupert by far the best report i have seen on here very well done mate , i really fancy a go at this but i dont think my back would like it lol

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:surprise:

Excellent report Rupert, what a fantastic days fishing and only the start if the season as well! If it gets better than that then you are in for a cracking year!! Just such a shame you couldn't find any bright trousers to wear :blindfold:

12. bazofboro

bazofboro Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done Rupert
    Not only on the fishing but also on the write up, great report there mate and the pictures to illustrate it.
    Pictures paint a thousand words,i believe the saying goes
    Well done again

Regards
    Baz

13. Howard

Howard Blenny

Fantastic read Rupert thanks for taking the time so we can all share the experience its awesome stuff. There must be numbers of sharks out there if there and showing before the mackeral shoals.
    I wonder if one day soon a tuna is going to turn up ? Never say never Eh.

14. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Shark Fishing has got to be on the "Things to do list" :yes: :yes:
    Great report, Great Pics, Great Fishing. I'm looking forward to your next report already :wink:

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

Wow Rupert I was exhausted just reading it never-mind having to do battle with such a big shark, it looks like it tested you and your tackle but eventually you won out... Well done what a great report and thanks for sharing it with us and what can I say the pictures are awesome too! :happy:

16. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Very, very impressed Rupert with the fishing and the report, well done fantastic job

17. Mark

Mark Blenny

What a fantastic report mate. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. My arms we aching just reading it. Awesome.

18. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done Rupert ,Alain told me you had been into the fish the other day,a fantastic read, I don't like circle hooks as they are very unpredictable to hook up and a ballache to remove if you are lucky enough to actually catch, the big game guys swear by them in the canaries however these are predominantly tuna we catch and these fish have very thin scissors so hook ups are quite easy I would also think that a shark with big protruding teeth would deflect the hook point if not hit at the right angle , then saw robson green after bull sharks with, you guessed it a massive circle hook rigged tandem, think it's personal preference and like you said having the confidence and time for that matter to experiment,however I'll never use them. Again very well done ,best wishes

19. kayos

kayos Guest

Not only have you had your "longest fight ever with a North Sea shark" you now have written "the longest report ever on the Whitby forum!!!"

Only joking mate, congrats!

20. Howard

Howard Blenny

Well By Eck! one has.