1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my kayak trailer build

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BOOMSTICK, Nov 20, 2011.

1. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As the title says im building (well modifiying) an old trailer tent wich was given to me for free.

When i picked it up it needed a bit of work doing so first thing was to manufacture and weld on a draw bar
    [​IMG]

A bit of fine craftsman ship from yours truly if i do say so my self.
    Then i had to sort out the electrics (my worst nightmare) but had to be done. Firstley i had to change the old 7 pin plug for a 13 pin plug once that was done i had to re wire all the lights

Who ever done them before must have thought it didnt matter what wire went were and every time you turned some thing on there was disco going on.

Soon got that done and it was time to tow it home from york.

Then relised it was lop sided it had 2 diffrent size wheels on :ugly:

A quick trip to mr willybendits (once again he helped me out i owe him a lot of beers now) and i was sorted with a tempory wheel to get it home.

Today i set about adapting it so the yak sits on top so a trip to B&Q for some mdf and i was off.

I removed the old cooker unit from the back and filled the hole with some mdf
    [​IMG]

Then i moulded some lead to the shape of the under side of the yak to use as a stencil and cut out a place for the yak to sit in will be doing the same to the front tomorow
    [​IMG]

Also on the pic you can see the 2 brackets iv welded on to mount the lighting board on wich extends for when the yak is on and retracts to sit flush with the back of the trailer when the yak isnt on.

[​IMG]

Like so. Thats all got done today. Will post a bit more tomorow after iv done a bit more to it.

Ps if any 1 has a 10" wheel going spare let me know :wink:

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Looking good Scotty, don't forget to fit a spoiler so it doesn't take off when doing 100mph behind your Scoda! :wink:

3. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

good effort scotty,you may have to have a rethink on the mdf though.................doesnt enjoy getting wet like kayaks do.

4. BOOMSTICK

Its going to be getting a lick of paint so should hopfuly be ok

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

How do Scott plywood is the way to go MDF won't last bud even painted. It will be ideal when it is all fininshed keep up the good work but use ply :wink:.

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Nice job mate. But as others have said mdf is no use. You want some external ply. And why the Hell have you taken the cooker out??? How the hell you going keep the pies warm now. Lol. I would mount the cooker on runners and have It coming out the side so you fry up a Bacon buttie after a paddle. :educated:

7. BOOMSTICK

Will go and invest in some ply wood today then.

May still see if i can mount the cooker some were ducky mate then you can get the food cooking ready for when we land :wink: :tease:

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

Looks the biz Scotty

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

good lad. lol. another thing mate that may be worth having is a safty chain on mate, cos if the worse happens it can be bad mate, happened to my uncle and the trailer smashed into a on coming car. not good. :surprise: looks good mate and also a fridge for the beer and fish. :laugh:

10. BOOMSTICK

Yeh iv got a proper brake away cable to fit on to it. Still got loads to do it before its ready but should hopfuly be done by the week end

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Scott by law you need a brakeaway CHAIN or wire rope loop crimped on a unbraked trailer on a braked trailer you can fit the cable or a chain

12. andym

andym Rockling

Looking good Scotty

13. BOOMSTICK

well for the last 2 days iv been busy with the trailer, i managed to get some timber off sam last week and set about it with a jigsaw.

i scraped the MDF after every ones advice and used the timber instead

[​IMG]

and to be honest i think it looks better any way.

then i cut out the front and reinforced it with some more timber

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then i secured the lighting board on to the brackets i welded up

iv also atteched 4 brackets to secure the yak in place with the straps

[​IMG]

iv put 1 in each corner to loop the straps through
    the side bins were in 2 halfs so i drilled out the rivets holding in the small section in the middle deviding the 2 sides and attached them all together

[​IMG]

done the same on both sides.

i had some latchs laying around in the garage so i riveted them on to keep the storage compartments secure

[​IMG]

i then put foam on the parts were the yak sits to protect it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can see how the lighting board sits when the yak is on,
    and it sits flush against the back when it isnt on as the pic above shows

[​IMG]

all it needs now is a number platee, painting and a wheel

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Really coming on good Scott, glad the timber came in useful bud :yes:

As I said when I saw you last week it's gonna be a cracking trailer for when you go on your fishing hols, loads of storage on that thing. Look forward to seeing the finished painted version.

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Looks good mate. But still missing pull out camping stove. :educated:

16. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Scotty give mick webster a shout he will make you up the straps ive just found some mini rims that should fit your hubs same pcd as the boat trailer wheel need a lick of paint & tyres

17. BOOMSTICK

Well ducky i did have 1 to go in but the effin scrapy took it off my drive this morning when i went to pick sum bits up.

You in this weekend alain?

18. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Scotty yes ill be in Bring some Brass as ive a cooker & bottle you can buy + the cuddly toy sliding doors kettle hotwater bottle tv radio blow up doll & repair kit :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. BOOMSTICK

Why does the blow up doll and repair kit not suprise me lol

just priced up tyres for them amd nearly had a heart attack 50 quid each

20. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Alain does not a blow up doll he Is to old to get it up. Pmsl