1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod Fishing My best season to date

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by faraday, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How did you do this season ?
    I dont catch masses from the rocks / shore, but there again i dont get out as often as i would like to due to work commitments etc.

I achieved my personal best this season with an 8 pounder (minimum) after gutting - i dont have any proper scales - only our lasses kitchen scales...

Have ventured onto different marks, done quite a bit of reading up relating marks etc, in the past i have had upto 4lb max weight fish, with more than one fish in the bag uncommon.
    this season had quite a few sessions with at least 3 fish around 9 or 10lb bag.

This has involved muddy cliffs, scary brigg tides, usual 4am finishes, either i am slowly improving or it has been a better season ?
    last season i ditched mono and now use 50lb spectra braid... love it...
    ditched the pulley rigs, now using single heavy flappers, and finally gone back to 32 year old conoflex cod6 which i rebuilt. brigg.jpg north side.jpg scarboro north.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

conoflex cod6 which i rebuilt

its nice to return to using old loved tackle & by using it ,compare it

to a lot of overhyped "modern" gear.

a couple of seasons ago I paired an old milbro 12 ft rod & seastreak

from the 60,s used it as a second rod & the results were similar catch

wise to "modern rod/reel" set ups. its the bait /conditions/venue

that are critical not gear etc.

Jury still out on braid for rocks etc, but love it in boat shadding etc.

average season catch wise but not out as much as normally.

catch reports a bit quiet on forum this season but thanks for

posting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. facembani223

facembani223 New Member

very nice keep up the good work :) happy fishing !

• Like Like x 1
  4. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Down on my stretch - Cloughton through Flamborough - I have to say that I found it very disappointing. For me, personally. Cannot speak for others.
    Working inland meant I had to take what was given, and that was most non-stop SW'erlies, and I did not even get on the bait till second or third week in November (I was catching mackerel on my lure rod first week November).
    Pity, as I was expecting a bumper year, as signs were looking good.

Fished Brigg end of Jan and, whilst I blanked, one of the other lads there caught two pollock!
    Nuts year.

Seemed to see a few OK ones coming out the Whitby end of the stretch though?

• Like Like x 1
  5. faraday

Seen a few reports of whitby (west) ? doing well - never fished whitby funnily enough but may venture there in late 2016. No idea where to fish from like !

I started the season well, thought it would be a good omen, but as you say had plenty of s/westerlies but as year ended and passed the seas around scarboro built up and took the opportunity work allowing.

As for mackerel there were crazy reports of them still being caught in november, coincidentally my earliest from the drive in scarboro was april 21st (2013) i think it was.
    As sea bass is eu policed i do not intend to bother and will concentrate more on the pollak this summer.
    I was near brigg end last weekend early hours a couple of hours b4 low water and an hour into the flood - blanked myself - me pal had a pollak, codling and a lobster though
    navmanfish.
    I used braid from the yak last year, was good - until i had a couple of bigger fish off n/e corner. no stretch and with a lighter rod it seemed almost impossible to get em up at first.
    As for the shore, long rod and 525 / 535 i myself aint had any problems apart from the usual expected snags, i do fish rough ground most of the time.

since using braid i have never lost any main line when pulling out - always the rotter first, snood or rest of the rig - maybe i just been lucky so far !
    I was swayed to "the dark side" on scarboro south bay one cold n dark night with old lad Bill - all virtually same setup including bait fishing a well known scaur - he was on braid but i was on mono, he had 7 codling in the hour i missed half a dozen...
    Fuming - i replaced the 525 spool with braid, returned the next night to the same mark with the sea still running and had half a dozen mops, lifting into the fish with a strike not required in my case.

Yes, the older basic gear gets you by and the fish dont know or have a preference to what you use - if you can reach them that is...

Is a bit quiet on forum Navmanfish, will pick up a bit hopefully as summer season approaches. Faceache doesn't help like....

6. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

congrats on your season regarding old gear just sold my sea streak about a month ago was a fantastic bit of kit in its time

• Like Like x 1
  7. faraday

I had to google "seastreak" Jc !

Remember seeing them reels in pritchards scarborough back in the 80's. They were in the glass counter cabinet... i at the time used an old clonky daiwa f/s - cant remember the model number.
    My rod at the time was a 9ft yellow fibreglass rod, bought it from buckleys in scarborough and it was £11.
    We had bugger all, used to pinch lead from the garage roofs and make me own weights with small mussell shells as the mould bedded in sand !

Remember catching me first mackerel whilst par and dab bashing off the west pier in 78 - haha felt like a double !
    I still fish that spot on an easterly and south easterly - brings back some memories, me mam used to phone police when i didnt come home, they knew where i was and used to get a free ride home.

8. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My rod at the time was a 9ft yellow fibreglass rod, bought it from buckleys in scarborough

and it was £11.

mine was a 8ft greenheart butt, split cane top, "pink pot" eyes/rings.

used it with a 6" centre pin, then after saving paper round monies

walked into Grestys & paid 3 guineas for a penn "sea boy" multiplier

also included was a free Grestys "bass" bag, a kind of woven carrier bag

that recyclable buffs would go crazy for.

should have bought a 8ft "black seal" fibre glass like my mate

but the exotic varnished green heart/split cane looked better.

many happy hours on old saltburn pier /penny hole with that

rod & plenty of birds nests up the footy pitch practicing casting

& stretching line prior to loading reel.

• Like Like x 1