1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mussels - Fresh or Frozen and Does It Matter

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 1, 2013.

?

Do You Use Fresh Or Frozen Mussel ??

1. Fresh

32.0%
  2. Frozen

20.0%
  3. Im Not Botherd, Ill Use Either.

48.0%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Mussels for winter cod fishing - Fresh or Frozen and Does It Matter ?? Please discuss your preferences below.

2. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fresh 4 me when I was uptiding w2itj paul they were the difference one day I try to use fresh everytime although I am sure frozen have there day aswell.... same as fresh and frozen peeler. Time of year ect ??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

3. shammy

shammy New Member

fresh mussels but soaked in there own juices for 2-3 days for me

4. robq

robq Rockling

I like mine straight out of the shell when they smell of the sea :)

I know some lads like rotten stinky shellfish but I prefer as fresh as possible, even razors too :)

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Fresh mussel or coso's frozen. Not the crap you often see, sour water filled bags of crap.

Razor though..,,,, nice and yellow and bordering on rotten is how I like them and have done well on them in cocktails.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

6. Baramundi Bob

so you would use frozen if it was good quality Dave ? I agree some of the stuff I see in the shops is dreadful. Looks like its in fresh water. Fresh water is full of chlorine and not the sort of stuff you want to be putting your bait in.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yes GLenn I rate Bills mussel, if passing and he has fresh I do feel confident approaching a session with a pot of Bills best fresh. However I have absoloute confidence in Bills frozen mussel they are not your usual bag of 50% water but a flat pack of good plump meats B-)

I like a cocktail of a bit of crab a bit of worrum and a single coso mussel..,,,,, was it not Ray who said just a single mussel so as not to give em too much of the treat of the cocktail ;-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

8. Baramundi Bob

it was Ray who said a single mussel. Ive always favored 5 or 6 :) Might have to cut it down this year as I dont have the time to source them, plus the place I go has been all but wiped out.

9. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

We use to recon that mussel that had been thawed and re-frozen a few times was as good if not better than fresh when used on the boat winter fishing. However they were all live and skaned by our selves not them crappy bought ones which were like everyone else has said full of water. We also left them in there own juice in a tub.

Redcar Angling do bloody good frozen mussel in fact I get all my bait off them and it's always best qualatiy.

10. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My m8 swears by them,rotting stinking orrrible things they r !!!!,leaves e'm at the bottom of his garden stinking,rotting away in a bag :eek:
    Boy does he cacth some pigs with them stinkers,fish to nr 20lb off the shore an barney rubbles 4 fun.He goes by the name of juzzy(juzzylad)well known big cod catcher :)

11. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just to throw a spanner in,do u lads & lasses like to use mussel on its own or as a cocktail ?personally for me i like to combo it with fresh black lug & fresh mussel straight out of the shell,or fresh/frozen crab & mussel combo :)

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Another thumbs up for Coso!
    Got some cracking live lug there the other day too.

13. Steve

Steve Rockling

all my mussels now come from tesco or morrisons. skein them while fishing

14. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fresh if I can get them but frozen from coso's are excellent. I always nip into coso's to see if he's got fresh when i'm over and normally get a £10 worth at a time, I freeze in 30's..................

15. ndgough

ndgough www.sbac.webs.com - Scarborough boat Angling Club

Fresh or Frozen have worked for me, i usually get mine from Coso's as they are a really good quality bait. when popping into coso you will see one of the lads skaning outside most days so you just know there fresh. also the frozen mussels when defrosted hardly contain any water just nice plump meats.

but frozen can be hard to get as they sell as fast as they can skane them.

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I,m interested to know in what context they use them when they say they're not bothered.
    Mussel are a brilliant bait, especially on this bit of coastline. After a good sea or two and the crabs have all but finished there peel I wouldn't go without it. Then again, if that's all I had in my bait bucket I wouldn't bother going at all.
    In other words i only use it in cocktails and personally I like it fresh.

Sure it catches fish when it's fresh, frozen or smelly but when you hear that the long liners of old generally liked it fresh that tells you something.

Going back to the opening line. If you use it in a cocktail it's impossible to know for sure how effective it is for sure. When I said I only used one, it was when I had fresh worm and quality fresh or frozen crab which I would rate higher than mussel so my way of thinking was that why would i mask the scent of which I think is better bait with the scent of an inferior bait, if my memory serves me well it was something like, "one is an enhancement, 4 or 5 is contamination" or something like that.

17. robq

robq Rockling

There were times in the mid late 80s when I started rock fishing properly, that all I could get and afford was mussel !

I used to get the train to filey and buy 3 or 4 bags of fresh mussel at about £1.20 a bag as I remember :)

There were times when I caught plenty of fish on straight mussel :)

I wouldnt be without it after end of sept, but more often than not now as part of a cocktail now I can afford good crab and worm too.

18. Baramundi Bob

Generally only fresh for me, but often as part of a cocktail. I like 1 crab, 1 worm (frozen black not fresh till after chrimbo), and 2 or 3 mussels and sometimes more. Works a treat over scars that way.

19. Baramundi Bob

Ray, with regards to cocktail I always believe that each part is equal in importance, I feel its the total of all 3 blended to make something unique that does not exist in any of the others on their own. Most times I wouldnt ever fish without mussel. If its Nov and Dec I would feel I was going to catch significantly less fish. But I would feel equally the same about the crab and the frozen worm.

20. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

BB - so glad that you started this thread!
    Used to use mussel, but did not often catch, particularly on Filey Brigg (where cart or peeler only usually) so do not often use now.
    Certainly going to start using again, as a very easy bait to source.
    God, I love this forum. Every day I learn something, or fine tune something I think I have learnt!
    ;D