1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiplier for plug rod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mike_, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mike_

mike_ New Member

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Hi Mike,

Low profile baitcaster reels like that are good for plugging, I prefer fixed spool reels for most of my lure fishing though and use multipliers for bigger lure work. I find I get further casts with fixed spool but it's each to there own I guess. I know you mentioned before regarding problems getting distance whilst plugging so perhaps a fixed spool would be the better option at first?
    Like I say though each to there own, if you are relatively new to plugging then I would of thought fixed spool is the way to go.

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

A fixed spool is definitely more user friendly, particularly for lighter lures. If you're casting a lightish lure into a headwind, the FS is a safer bet than a multiplier.

When spinning for salmon, I do prefer using a multiplier because they're great to play a big fish on. With practice, you can use a multiplier with a 15gram lure, but you're safer with 20 grams +, as you need a certain lure weight to get the spool turning properly during the cast. If I'm using lighter Rapalas or sub 15g flying C's , then it's back to the FS. At this sort of light lure weight the FS casts further anyway.

If you are still thinking about a multiplier for lure fishing, think carefully about whether left hand wind reel might suit you better. Also, in my experience, the multipliers that disengage the level wind during the cast (floating level wind) tend to snatch on the cast, particularly when using braid. I think the model you looked at has a floating level wind. The more traditional versions of the abu like the 6501 c3 have a level wind that traverses the spool during the cast. I find this gives a far better line lay and leads to much smoother casts when lure fishing.

On balance, my vote would also be to start with a FS if you wanted to buy only one reel for lure fishing.

4. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

hi mike i've used multipliers for a while now,jst sold one to a guy in california!! still got another 3 here at home but they rarely get used,they're good for heavier lures and shorter rods but to work the lure properly if its light i'd go for a longer rod and a f/s. i always find the multiplier to have more cranking power but the f/s always pulls in that more distance. if you're wanting to chuck very light lures with a multiplier you best dig deep in ya pockets as a good one for the light work dont come cheap,defo fun to use though. my advice would be to just stick with the f/s and save the money for a really good outfit rather than going the multiplier route...wish i had :sad: i've spent loads on the stuff and rarely used it as the f/s does the majority. one good thing about the little multipliers though is that they're great for light sport afloat with lures or trolling or even in slightly deeper water with heavier lures...am i contradicting myself here...!? lol oh well maybe it shows why i got the multipliers int he first place :whatever:
    anyways just stick with the f/s setup for now and once you get the hang of it save some dosh for some top notch gear...best thing i did!!
    cheers
    phil.

5. mike_

mike_ New Member

- your prob right sam (or should that read "you are right sam" :embarrass: )- just throwing a few ideas about, to tell the truth iv never seen anyone cast a plug so i dont really know how bad i am :ugly: :laugh: what mp do you use for the heavier lures sam?

rupert wrote
    thanks some good points there, and yes a left hand would be a very good idea , what mp do you use rupert?

cheers phil more good info, the abu revo gets mentioned alot for this type of thing and like you say they aint cheap - what mp's have you tried phil ?

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

For my heavier lure work I use a Masterline 'Toothy Critter' but I use that for Pike fishing. I was going start using a Pinnacle Inertia baitcaster for my lighter lure work but I decided to stay with the fixed spool. Even though I do like lure fishing with baitcasters I generally prefer fixed spool, usually cast further and dead easy to use.
    If you are relatively new to lure fishing then it is best to stick with a fixed spool and spend the money on lures instead :wink:

7. leatherbob

leatherbob New Member

hear hear :yes:

bob.

8. mike_

mike_ New Member

bob wrote:
    shimano exage 4000 it is then ? :tease:

mike (maybe walk b4 i run :embarrass:)

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, spot on matey :yes: :yes:

The Shimano Exage 4000 looks like a nice reel (front drag version probably would be better). I actually do most of my lure fishing with a Mitchell Avocet fixed spool, probably only cost me about £16 but it's been faultless.

10. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

hi mike, sorry for late delay been away. i favour the shimano models for the heavier work, ie the cardiff and corsair lefty's they're pretty robust and reliable. i've used lots of smaller sized abu's but still favoured the shimano's. i've tried the some of the toothy critter reels but didnt like the way the level wind never disengaged when line was goin out while playing a fish due to the worm gear.maybe its jst a lefty thing i dunno. the abu revo is a great reel but daiwa also have alot to match it with too,they're bringin some great reels out at the moment. the nicest though is the calcutta reels,they're robust reliable and a pleasure to use but very expensive. if you do decide to go for one look to america at the bass guys for info. personally i'd just stick to the f/s for now :yes:
    cheers for now
    phil.

11. mike_

mike_ New Member

thanks for that phil- you, sam and the other lads have talked me into a f/s for now :yes: maybe if i win the lotto :wink:

mike

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, you'll be better off with a f/s :yes: I'll be using a f/s for all my plugging this year, no matter if from shore or afloat.

13. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

all i use my M for now is 2oz+ lures and boat for light jigging with a single leadhead/pirk etc if you're regular using anything 1oz and under jst stick with the f/s i think once you get the hang of it you'll very rarely go above a 1oz lure anyways. like sambo says...save the cash and spend it on lures lol and save some more for boxes for them,then fill em up then buy some more lures an so on an so on lol. plus if it really grips you you'll be wantin more rods and reels than our lass does shoes and handbags. how are you set lure wise at the mo?is it only saltwater spinnin you'll be doin?
    cheers
    phil.

14. mike_

mike_ New Member

yep only salt water- here are my plugs

heavy ones - 40-60grm's

http://www.whitbygas.com/gto/DSCF0250sm.JPG

light ones - 4-26grm's

http://www.whitbygas.com/gto/DSCF0249sm.JPG

well its a start scare laugh

mike

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

At least you've got some X-Raps in there so that's a good start :wink: The bottom one on the 1st pic looks like a Mirrolure bait.

16. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

i thought it more like a rebel lure due to the line pattern on the side and the eye...not sure tho. been gettin some more megabass lures...hubba hubba :kiss: felt it in me wallet like :cry:

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, didn't notice the line pattern (typical Rebel lure). Could be a Rebel Windcheater :confused:

God, I'm sounding like a lure anorak :cry: :embarrass:

18. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

lol thee and me both mate. have you used any sissons lures? i've got a couple of deep divers i'm gonna give a whirl and see how they go,keep writing on them with a fine permanent for the depths so's i know how deep they go lol else i end up with boxes full of deep divers and no idea on depth, some will crank to 25feet!!!not good in a 15ft gully lol as i've found previous 'expeditions' :whistle:

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: Been there, done that :embarrass: Even worse if you find out with a £15 lure :cry:

I have a few of the small Sisson baits here, I haven't actually used them (just sold them on) but they do look like nice baits. Looking forward to trying out some new lures, just ordered a bunch for the business. Obviously I may have to 'field test' one or two :whistle: Still trying to find a way to make fishing a business expense :wink:

Which Megabass baits have you gone for Phil?

20. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

i lost a 15quid rapala magnum that i had imported only a day or two before from the us over rough ground...god that hurt :cry: but not to worry.
    i've already got a pop-max 90 in skeleton and a vision 110 in red belly shad but the new ones are a vision 95 in matt tiger and a dog-x 2000 also in matt tiger :cheesy: