1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i was out last nite at sundown and found a new place to fish , its a small harbour and was fishing across the harbour mouth , picking up small pollock but i noticed a shoal of fish in the harbour looked like mullet ,, so any tips on how to target them would be welcome ,, ;)

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

you need a ferkin mate

3. young casper

what a ferkin as a small barrel of cider ,, or just a good ferkin ;)

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

a ferkin lot of patience

5. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mashed bread and freshwater style fishing using light hook lengths and either breadflake on the hook or punched bread, use a well shotted waggler float and very little shot down the line to the hook, be prepared for lots of missed bites but when you do hook up the fights pretty awsome

6. young casper

thanks brian,, i tryed the bread methode up at whithorn one summer, but on a bigger scale and yes it was frustating never got nothing and the fiish got loads of bread, never thouht about scaling down , looks like i 'l getting me old roach gear out! ;)

7. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I've only ever fished for them on holiday in Majorca and Lanzarote :D
    I found that a lump of bread crust on a size 10 or 12 hook with a 6" length (of 2lb line as a hair rig) and size 18 hook with tiny bit of bread flake could outsmart them ;) They would smash into the crust then circle round and take any bits that had broken off - and the tiny hook bait occasionally 8)

Having said that, my biggest one, somewhere around 3 to 4 lbs took a size ten baited with squid and floatfished in among a shoal of fish smashing up floating crusts I'd thrown in ::)

8. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mashed bread and freshwater style fishing using light hook lengths and either breadflake

like bry , I tried this method on redcar scars a couple of years ago, early morning, to no

avail, next morning tried maggots (mullet were nudging kelp frond tops & sand fly? maggots) were being

took, again a couple of takes but no cigar.

like dan says plenty of patience required they arnt as easy as the med,agean mullet.

north gare area throws some nice mullet, but broke north sea duck round huntcliffe are,

just as dusk came, again kelp top feeding mullet caught using maggot,

nice fighters , returned safely.

keep trying & you will crack it.

9. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bread/maggots as bait,tiny hooks n thin diam hooklengths n like allready mentioned loadsa patience.
    Very hard to catch but very rewarding when u do,they scrap like buggery,very cautious feeding fish,bit like weary carp,try n build there confidence b4 wetting a line.

10. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

I used to fish for them off our college pier in southampton. we generally used to wait for slack water low, then during slack feed em mashed up bread and get them into a frenzy, then introduce bread flake on a size 10 hook with 8lb line under a bubble float, we took plenty, with my mate Chris from brid getting the best at over 6lb!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Freshwater tactics - Bolt rigs and such. You could probably try pretty much any bait and tactics you might use for Chub. That's how I have gone about it.

12. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

half inch /1 inch section of ragworm ,light line tiny split shot 18 " up line from hook freelined ;)

13. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i seen a swimming about at port carlisle. was low water n they got cut off in little ponds of water. i only had fresh crab with me. thinking of going back in summer with the pole.

Sent from my LG-E610 using Tapatalk