1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MULL OF GALLOWAY TRIP 2012..

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by GJW, Aug 15, 2012.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures from our annual visit to the Mull of Galloway.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=479

Forum members who have visited it will know what I mean when I say it's an angling paradise with many species to target set in lovely surroundings. The weather was unusually kind to us and had light winds and sunshine most days.. We could possibly say the fishing was not at its best especially the bass but the very late tides did not help and after being out fishing for pollack all day it was difficult to push myself out in the early hours. I did give them ago and my best session I caught 7 to 5lb. Sometimes I think we expect to much and set the bar just a little to high.. All in all a smashing week with a great set of pals... :cool: :cool:

Bait fishing for bass.

We caught plenty of small school bass on bait in Luce bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After dark we had a few sessions with the lures and managed a canny few better fish to around 5lb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pollock fishing was very good with the general stamp of fish around the 3lb mark with many around 5lb and a few around 6-7lb and as any one who has fished for them will tell you that you certainly know it when you have a 5lb+ Pollack on light spinning gear..

Alan just proves he is totally "Quacker's" and we now call him Daffy... :gum: :laugh: ...... This little yellow duck came bobbing along in the tide but it wasn't long before it shot under and out popped this lovely pollack.

[​IMG]

Well the pollack just kept on coming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy's rod strains as a good Pollack makes a dive for the bottom..

[​IMG]

Lee into a Pollack.

[​IMG]

Team Pollack. Lee John and Alan into the Pollack with a treble hook up..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the climbs are a little difficult and care should be taken especially in the wet as the rocks are treacherous..

Lee shows he's half man half mountain goat.. :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wrasse fishing LRF style..

Andy introduced us to extreme light tackle fishing for wrasse and it was great fun catching Wrasse on light jig heads and bait...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee and Andy light tackle Wrasse fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well it wasn't long before the week was up and the sunset on another fantastic Mull trip..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all folks.... :cheesy:

Tightlines.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Lovely report Gary, some very nice fish there. Those Wrasse really are a beautiful fish, I really should try that ultralight fishing for them.

Well done lads, love the Duck Alan :laugh: :laugh:

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

quality report as we have come to expect Gary. I too would love a go at LRF fishing, definitely gonna try it. Love the rubber duck float :yes:

4. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report, I've been reading up on lrf fishing recently, sounds like great fun.

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice one lads as usual. have you ever had a shit fishing holiday?

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Rubber ducks and quivertips :whistle:- pushing the boundaries there lads.
    Looks like you had a great time.

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Think Gary will have to go well back in archives to answer that one!

Looks like you had a great craic too - just what a holiday like that should be about.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What, no bull taming ??

Im very envious of the fact you can manage 7 bass to 5lb in a single session. Most I ever managed was 3. It seems hard work but seeing your reports makes me realise it is possible. Out of interest, what is the most you have had in a single session on baits ? and what time of day are you fishing, morning or night tides ?

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thanks lads. Dan I can't honestly remember a bad one, the weather at times makes things difficult but its just a case of pulling our socks up and making do with the conditions.. It would be great to see you up there one time Dan, maybe we could have a joint holiday with you Whitby lads, I am sure everyone would have a fantastic time and catch plenty of fish..

10. Baramundi Bob

Lots more Mull Of Galloway Pics here :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.408544665858970.88823.211560138890758&type=3

11. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Excellent pictures and report Gary , in all honesty there could have been loads more pictures of quality pollack.

The team pollack shot should have been four members but someone dropped their fish :embarrass: :embarrass:

Big bass weren't prolific but we still managed to find a few (apparently they were on vacation at a different part of the Mull :whistle: :whistle: )

LRF is the future :kiss: :kiss:

Those wrasse and pollack fought like terriers on the light gear,absolutely great sport :evil: :evil:

Another quality weeks fishing with a group of top guys, it was a privilege to fish with you.

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Glenn the Bassing was a little difficult this year and as the low waters got later and later it was early hours before we were getting any effect from the flooding tide and I was getting lazy and couldnt motivate myself.. :sleepy:. I do like the push of the flood tide for both bait fishing and fishing lures. In years past 8 - 15 bass a session was not uncommon on lures and maybe 2 - 5 per person on bait, we normally dig over low water and start fishing 1 hour into the flood and fish it up to high..
    We tend to only do bait fishing during the day if the winds make Pollack fishing uncomfortable on the West side but I am sure it would be great after dark too, if only you can keep them dogfish from stealing your bait..

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

thanks gary, im sure ill get there one day its just difficult with work at this time of year

14. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Garry, we have been up there twice and struggled with the bass, in particular on that beach. I still think we are doing it wrong as your catches are always far greater to ours.

I think last year the tides may have been too big (largest of the year), but this year I managed 1 bass about 4lb off the beach and missed a few others. Mike does not like the beach as he doesnt like being in the water, which led to us leaving at about 2 hours after low, which by the sounds of it may have been a bad time to leave. You say you fish it right up to high tide ? How is this possible as we we were knocked right back pretty quickly ?

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

Glenn we carry everything with us in a small bag over shoulder or around waist with bait and a couple spare rigs and leads and just fish from that.. As the tide pushes you back you just keep moving back you can fish from the rock edges over high or get pushed back into the corner were a path leads you through the forest and back to the road... I like to use a fixed spool as you can load it with a lot of braid and just let out braid as the tide pushes you back..

16. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Garry, we shall keep it in mind for next time. I love that beach and have seen Ospreys on every occasion there. This year one swooped about 100 yard in front of me, I thought it was gonna take a fish but it pulled away at last minute. Its a very special place. Damo said he saw a load of sea trout run past him too.

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

First thing ---- What a top quality report Gary , beats the hell out of the Sea Angler , once more we had a very enjoyable week with some lovelly
    pollack , Garys best going 7.5 lb , my best was 6lb 14oz and when you get them on light gear you really know about it , the biggest pollack came from
    the Irish sea side , to be fair we didnt target them on the Mull Head , areas behind Drummore / Portpatrick always seem to come up trumps with the
    bigger Pollack , I had a good laugh with the Duck float , it spent that much time underwater I had fit it with a small aqual lung to prevent drowning :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , Like most things some of those top marks are a hell of a chew to get to [ well they are for me ] by the time I got
    back to the car I was sweating like a Geordie taking a spelling test :laugh thanks the lot lads for a really good week , plenty of laughs and banter

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well that was certainly worth waiting for Garry, some quality photographs and a five star report ,
    i think i will have a go at the LRF for the wrasse , it looks good fun ,

I hope the tide is not to big when i get there Sept 1st, pollack in the day and a few bass in the early evening for me ,
    i am taking a pop up tenet to put Linda in while i fish, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

was that first bass mark behind the Golf club :confused:
    think tandoo will get a visit as well this year ,

thanks for the inspiration to get myself going again this year , OH i think Alan is getting a bit puddled,, telling all his old tales has sent him Quackers :laugh: :laugh:

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I hope you do well when you go up there Harry , your old mark near Portpatrick fished well , I was also trying out my tennis ball float it casts nearly as well as a
    sinker , just needs a tweak on the fine tuning , I have a feeling it could open a few doors

20. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done some cracking fish as usual
    can see the duck float taking off but crows fair want it back
    cant wait paul and me up there in october