1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mull of Galloway - Report

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by congerball, Jun 12, 2012.

1. congerball

congerball Blenny

Well just got back from a 12 day session at the van, although we had a couple of bad days we managed to get some great weather, especially with the wind behaving itself for a change which made the fishing much more enjoyable. My brother had already been up there for a week before we arrived and had already landed plenty of Pollock up to 6lb 12oz...which was a good sign. Me and Rik set off at 5am on the Thursday morning, on the way up we stopped and collected our peeler crab (nowt where I am) then arrived in Luce Bay around 10am to see it flat calm and bathed in sunshine....I love it. Unpacked, walked the dog then had a big snooze. Later in the day we had a quick session on the West and pulled a few Pollock out, nothing huge but good sport.
    Friday saw the arrival of the 'party bus'...4 of my mates had rented the caravan behind me including my mate Tim....who later caught a special fish. The weekend started off on the beers and kind of ended on the beers! Tim was the only one who was fishing out of the group of 4 and it proved to be worthwhile, during a gap in the partying Tim and company decided to have a chuck at around 12.30am on a big high water, myself and my brother had been fishing for the previous 4 hours and decided to call it a day with only a couple of Schoolies taking our peeler, we passed 'party boy' as we arrived back on the site "I'm off to catch a Bass"....he slurred words to that effect!! an hour and a half later there’s a bang on the door, who’s this interrupting out Blade Runner movie? Party Boy stumbles in announcing "I'VE WON THE TROPHY, MIGHT AS WELL GET MY NAME ON IT NOW!!" we have a yearly Bass comp with the heaviest fish taking the Trophy home. He'd gone and caught a big bass hadn't he, a stunning Bass of 8lb 4oz, unfortunately nobody had a proper camera on them so there’s only this one shot but you can see it well enough (still using the towel mate haha!) Caught on peeler crab, a short lob out. Well done mate, a stunning catch and a PB.

[​IMG]

Once the party bus had departed myself, Rik and Danny went for the Pollock, we had a good few sessions with decent sized Pollock getting caught, as always it’s the one that got away, I lost an absolute steam train right under my feet, hook pulled out, devastating but still managed to winkle several out over the week the biggest going to at 5lb 14oz (felt bigger!) All the Pollock were caught deep, on various spinners, Jellies and float. The landing net has a measure of 45cm on it, just to give some scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some schoolies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I've been staying on Maryport I've been trying to catch a Bass right infront of my van, they just don't seem to be there in the same numbers as the next bay along. Finally I managed one at around 2am on a big tide, I cast out then went back in the van, put the kettle on then sat back on the couch to watch my tip lights...very comfy fishing! Finally a little rattle indicated a bite, wound in this wee fellow! Over the moon with this one, been trying for about 15 years! Caught on peeler about 30 yards out.

[​IMG]

We tried the usual marks just outside the village, one evening we had sea trout jumping infront of us, Sand Eel all over the place with huge shoals of Mullet....but could only find a single Maccy on the spinner...poor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice Flounder for my brother

[​IMG]

Towards the end of the holiday I took my dog for a walk to the next bay along, I decided to take the spinning rod and cast as I walked, I couldn't believe how many Mullet I was seeing, they were everywhere. As soon as the spinner hit the surface the glass like water exploded with life, as I didn't have any tackle for the Mullet I just hoped there would be some Bass feeding in amongst them, sure enough on the second cast I managed a hook up, a nice wee schoolie. We were just killing time before the F1 was repeated so I was chuffed with that one as it was really just something to do instead of throwing a few sticks for the dog!

[​IMG]

One species I was going to have a go at was Porbeagle but I simply didn't have enough time on my hands to make the session possible, there’s a lot of planning that needs to be done if I want to do it right so I wasn't going to chuck and hope...it can wait till next time...sorry I didn't get to use the trace you kindly made up for me Rupert, it will be used at some point, I just didn't want to rush it. Watch this space but don't hold your breath!!

Some other shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ID on these eggs found at low water please...?
    [​IMG]

All in all a very enjoyable trip with quality fish caught.
    Bass taking peeler and spinner (nothing on surface plugs)
    Pollock deep, taking spinner, jellies and float.

Back up in a couple of weeks.

Tightlines everyone.
    (Additional photos & videos to follow below)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some stonking fish there lads, very very nice indeed !!!

That bass is a beauty and I bet them pollock put up a good scrap too. :yes:

Cracking pics too, looks like you all had a great few days fishing.

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

really fantastic report and pics. looks like you had a great time, and some nice fish were caught, well done

4. baza

baza New Member

what a report, thanks for that. ID are these lumpsucker eggs?

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report with some very nice photos. some very nice Pollovk there and that Bass is a stonker!

6. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done fellas great report & some cracking photos

7. codnchips

codnchips until the end

greta report lads. nice to see some pictures. well done

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

well done Ben & co cracking fishing And pictures

9. andym

andym Rockling

Well done lads some cracking fish and great pics

10. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

great report and pics sounds like you had a great time

11. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fantastic report and some nice fish lads. what a great 2weeks fishin..

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done ben ,some quality pics and a cracking report ,
    i am up there on the 1st september,

but will try and get a weekend before then ,#keep up the good work ,

Harry. :cool:

13. backlash

backlash Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

top stuff, well done :happy: :happy: :happy:

14. congerball

congerball Blenny

Cheers for the comments everyone, long time no see Alain hope the Skate fishing still doing alright.
    I like reading a report with a good few photos, good fish are a bonus.
    Tim had another huge bite straight after his Bass which made the rod see saw nearly out the rod rest but unfortunately no hook up. By this point he'd ran out of bait so that was that. I've never seen that many Mullet before, they were also all around the stretch of beach to the right of Stranraer harbour. Unbelievable.
    If I'm up Harry we'll definitely arrange a meet up.
    I hope the fishing continues, I'm sure we will be having some more reports from the area by other members...with more special fish.

Ben

15. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done some cracking fish that pollack mark looks a beuty

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

Great report Ben and some belting fish for you lads.

Can you cast a fly rod? That might be the medicine for those mullet?

17. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Ben try Drummore Harbour for the Mullet yes the skate trips have been very good the last one with Rupert was a Ball would be a great laugh telling you what went on the over a pint there`d be spilt beer all over the place and you ribs would be sore for a week with laughing lets know how you get on with the Mull Porgies im just waiting for the Nod off chap up there who is going to take me out see if we can get a hook up speak soon tight-lines Alain

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A top notch report and some quality fish and photos , well done to all of you , it looked like you spent a bit of time round West Tarbet

19. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fantastic report tis a top place to fish

20. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done a great report.

those eggs look like squid eggs mate