1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mull Of Galloway Fishing - MONSTER BASS FOR HARRY THE COD!!!!!!

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by GJW, Aug 22, 2009.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Read about Mull Of Galloway Sea Angling Here.
    Read All The Forum Topics On The Mull Of Galloway Here.
    Read About Sea Fishing In Scotland Here

WELL DONE HARRY

Congratulations to Harry the cod now known as Harry the Big Bass on catching a superb specimen Bass weighing 13lb 1oz taken on our trip to the Mull.

The fish which beats his previous PB by a massive 11lb was taken on a lure in darkness on a 1.8lb test curve barbel rod..

Well Done Matty aswell for catching some cracking bass..

Some pic's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fish was returned and i think it comes close to the Scottish shore caught record it really was an awesome fish..

More to come on Harry's Mull report..

TIGHTLINES

Gary

Read more Mull Of Galloway Topics Here

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Re: MONSTER BASS FOR HARRY THE COD!!!!!!

a truely awesome bass harry many congratulations , what more can you say , superb :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

3. langy

langy Rockling

What a awesome catch i bet you couldn't sleep that night thinking of it . i bet it gave one heck of a fight . There is your answer then people big bass do take lures :yes: and even better it was returned :happy: Well done mate :wink:

4. backlash

backlash Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done mate, fish of a life time and on a lure aswell, doesn't get much better than that!

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

Absolutely superb fish "H" a genuine fish of a lifetime that you will probably never beat.It looks in superb condition for a fish of that size and top marks for letting it swim away.The potential looks awesome for quality bass up there going on the reports from you guys,well done again.. tight lines

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A truely amazing catch harry. Congratulations on the fish of a life time.

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Absolutely staggering fish,superb stuff very well done harry and all the others involved sharing experience etc to make this possible.Congratulations.

8. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

stonkin fish that harry well done!

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Mull of galloway ,something a bit special

Just got back from our trip to the mull,i was joined by garry GJW,and matty Slver fox,i have fished the mul and surronding area for a few years now ,and it is one of the best places to fish in this coyntry,it hold,s a lot of good memories for me and,i know it doe,s for Garry and Alan (Big cliff),i hoped it would produce for us once again ,especialy for matty on his first visit ,he could only stop three nights because of work commitments , We arrived on the saturday at 3 pm unloadeed the car and set off to a well known pollack mark :wink: would it produce a pb for matty :pray: we had earlier been to lag vag for fresh mackie for bait ,so well prepared our lines were cast in ,we had pollack to around the four pound mark ,then on one cast matty hooked a decent fish ,it was a beauty of about 5 and ahalf pound but as garry went to lift it out the line parted :sad: so no pb for matty ,we fished on for about 3 and a half hours and had a total of 50 pollack,then it was back to base for our evening meal then on to trying for the silver bass,our first venue was quite slow so it was off to another mark wich would gaurantee a few schoolie,s,sure enough the schoolies were comeing pretty regular up to 2lb ,it was the first time matty had caught a bass on a lure in the dark and by the look on his face he was hooked :yes: :yes: . :yes: next day there was a brisk wind blowing so we opted for the sheltered side of the mull to try for conger :cool: the fishing was a bit slow so we occupied ourselves catching small wrasse on size six hooks and light line ,it was a bit of fun for a change than hauling up pollack after pollack :wink: ,after a while matty,s ratchet started clicking ,garry told him to leave it a while to swallow the bait ,then it went quiet again :suspious: after about ten mins garry siad to matty wind in and see what is there ,he wound down and it was solid then it began to sponge out ,it gave a few nods and was comeing in steady,then it had a change of mind :surprise: it tore off at a rate of knots and we told matty to give it some line on the drag ,this he did but the fish tookm a hell of a lot of stopping,he got it turned then it took off again :surprise: he had to tighten his drag to stop it ,and his line parted :sad: we do not know what it was but at a guess i would have siad a very very big conger,so it was back to base for tea then back in search of the silver bar again .after the first night of catching schoolies we decided to try another mask that in the past has produced decent bass :whistle: and BOY DID WE HIT THE JACKPOT , :surprise: matty,s pb was 3 and a half pound up to now ,but on his first cast a 6lb 8oz bass he was buzzing he then got two more at 5lb8 and 6lb 12 oz and a school;ie of 2lb Garry managed four bass to 3lb 8 oz but i couldn,t get a bite for love nor money,then while garry was doing the photo shoot with matty i got a bite ,it gave a powerfull run and took line from the reel then i managed to stop it :cool: i called to garry in the inky black night i have a good one on here,or something to that effect :laugh: and with all the toing and frowing between me and the fish ,i called out again i think it,s a double, :whistle: as i got it to within twenty yards to the shore i put my light on ,i could see the fish and i called again to garry its a double, i guided it to the beach and lifted it out ,garry turned and caught sight of the fish in his headlight its head was at my waist and its tail in the water , :surprise: :surprise:bloody heck that must be 15lb he siad matty siad 12lb ,we quickly took photographs then weighed the monster bass ,WOLLOP the scales read 13lb 1 oz ,we were elated ,gently i took the fish back to the sea and spent a good five mins whith ti till it swam away strongly ,itwas a marvelouse sight to see such a fine fish retusn to the sea ,, :yes: all our fish were returned to fight another day .we got back to base and boy did we party ,talking of the big one and of the days fishing in general ,we were up till 5am drinking and talking ,what a day we had ,next day was matty,s last day so off to a pollack mark ,again to try for the pb pollack he wanted we were catching again steady away ,nothing to big ,up to around the 4lb mark then matty got a good take it tore line from his reel like an express train ,but he got it stopped and after a few mins a fine pollack of5lb 8oz a new pb for matty :yes: :yes:it was back to base ,and on the way dropped some fresh mackie off for the farmer who allways lets us cross his land to get to our fishing marks,then it was back bassing again ,but this night the bass were no tplaying ,just a few schoolie,s but thats fishing for you ,so next day it was goodbye to matty and garry and me went on for the rest of the week targetting bass ,we had many many fish but no more monsters,i did manage another 6lb 8oz fish on the last night ,but that was it untill next year ,hope you all enjoyed this read ,garry will post the pic,s later i am having trouble with my camera ,tight lines all HARRY :cool:

10. rocky

rocky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brilliant catch Harry,bet your still buzzin,congratulations :happy:

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Thanks very much lads ,it makes me feel quite humble reading your replies :cry: it was a fish of a life time, i hope many more of you have the experience that i have had :yes: and i must allso pay a big tribute to garry for putting us on the mark he thought would produce the fish :wink: PS can you put any more pics up garry my new camera is a bit tricky,thanks mate

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

g ood report harry, really pleased for you ----------- i think we need to get a plumber in --- we had a bit of a leak :suspious: :suspious:

13. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well done harry....now thats what i call a stonker.....you must feel elated..and it sounds like the rest of the gang had a cracking time as well.....
    keep it going mate
    Paul

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yes second what Harry said the wind and rain after Matty left made it very difficult for us to get onto the pollack spots so we opted to fish evening into the wee small hours in search of bass, and we were not disapointed with our results, we caught plenty of bass most were between the 1lb-2lb 8oz size but we had a few better ones around 4lb and Harry landed another good un at 6lb 8oz and we both lost a good fish which tore off into the darkness like an express train..

Another great sight was watching bass swimming in 1ft of water at dusk with there fins out of the water just cruiseing between the bladderwrack and boulders..

We all had a smashing time and a real good laugh, i was over the moon for Harry and Matty on catching there new PB's unfortantely i did a great job of catching the schoolies whilst they caught the big un's but i was happy to see such fine fish well done lads...

Here are some pics from our trip..

Matty with his PB pollack.

[​IMG]

Some cracking bass for Matty in the same session he had bass 6lb 1oz, 6lb 12oz, 5lb 8oz and 5lb 8oz and a 2lber..

No wonder they call him Silver Fox.. :cool: :happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A schoolie caught on a flie for me..

[​IMG]

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

Some more pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

WOW, well done lads looks like you had an amazing time up there. Well done harry mate, to catch a fish that big on light gear must be amazing, nice one for releasing it too

tightlines
    Dan

17. GJW

GJW Rockling

Some more pics..

Harry catches the little un's too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bar of silver at the end of the rainbow..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harry with a 6lb 8oz Bass

[​IMG]

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Some more pics..

Its great feeling to see them swim off again into the night..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matty with a Pollack..

[​IMG]

Harry catches pollack with his eye's closed..

[​IMG]

An end to a perfect evening Pollack fishing..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Fantastic fishing - and not that far away either. Who needs to go abroad when there is fishing like that at home?

Well done all of you - was Matty's pollack on a fly too?

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done lads and in particular Harry for catching such a fantastic fish. Bet you were all buzzing after landing that beauty :surprise: