1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mull Of Galloway Fishing For Pollack, Bass And Conger - August 2011

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by harrythecod, Aug 20, 2011.

1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well the week came and went in a flash ,Myself and Garry got there on Sat 13th at 3pm,
    after the long drive we unloaded the car had a chill out and i cooked the tea,

when the tide was right off we went for a couple of hours Bassing ,
    conditions look quite favourable with a calm sea and little wind ,

we fished until 10pm with little to show apart from a couple of schoolies,
    It just goe,s to show the fish dont turn up just because you do :no:

back to base a couple of cans ready for the next day,
    sunday came and it was off to Lagvag for some mackerel then down to the Buzzer ,
    we took along Kev, (supersonic) for some pollack fishing ,his mate Joe went to flat rock ,he scared himself last year when he went down the wrong way :scare: the fishing was steady with pollack to around 4lb on float and jellyworms,

Garry has these photo,s on his camera (i left mine in the cottage) :whistle: we had about twenty or so between us , It was great to see Kev enjoying himself with a few fish,

he was amazed at the ease in wich Garry and myself seemed to talk the fish out :wink:
    it was quite a laugh,

when we got back to base Lee had arrived ,(he had a wedding the day before) after our evening meal cooked by yours truely ( I had designated myself chef for the week :wink:) we went bassing again , this time to the woods shot, all though the fish were feeding on the bait fish they were hard to catch it was a great night with the moon coming up lovely,

myself and lee were fish less with Garry getting two schoolie's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

when the tide got going a bit more it was off to another mark this time it was a little better,
    i had two Garry had three and one for Lee, nothing to big with the best going to 4lb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next day it was a hike and the hope of some bigger pollack, once again we took Kev and Joe to show them a new mark, it is quite a hike over a farm and we all ways ask the farmer for permission in return for a few fish, :yes: he said he like a mackerel and one pollack,

the mackerel are hard to find on the mark but Garry managed one while fishing for the pollack so the farmer got his supper ,

once again Kev expressed his awe at the fishing skills on show with Garry getting two out before he had got tackled up :crazy: once more the pollack obliged , but not in the numbers they normaly do , we had got there a little late in the tide after our evening before session on the Bass

[​IMG]
    a couple of pound pollack,

one for Garry around the 5lb mark
    [​IMG]

and another
    [​IMG]

Garry has some more from this mark on his camera, :yes:
    next day it was going to be a go for the conger,

once again it was a long climb down to the mark we call the island,
    mackerell were caught in fair numbers this day , we needed plenty for the next days species hunt,

hooks were baited and cast seawards about ten yards out ,three rods were waiting for that click click of the ratchet about 30 mins passed and sure enough there was interest ,

once again it Was Garrys rod that got the attention, :crazy: we all had the same rigs , bait, and same area to fish,but thats fishing for you ,

Go on Garry see what you have got , after a bit of help from Lee he got it moving and out came a nice 11lb conger

[​IMG]

followed by a smaller fish of 8lb

[​IMG]

and then another of a smashing 16lb :yes: Garry has the photo,s of this fish on his camera ,
    i was videoing the tussle on his camera and will try and get it uploaded later ,

so myself and Lee were once again fishless, but we were well pleased with the day seeing three fine fish caught and swim back to the sea ,

later that evening it was back to the bassing, this time it was a little batter with 12 fish comeing to the rods 3 each for myself and Lee and 6 for Garry with many missed chances for us all

[​IMG][​IMG]

once again more photo,s on Garrys camera and Lee's camera.

next day it was going to be our first try for a Tope from the shore :yes: hence the stock of mackerel from the day before ,

the evening before our tope hunt we went to the clash for a pint with Kev and Joe,
    as i walked in the door i heard a voice saying dont tell owt to Harry :confused:

when i turned around there was Bob collins (Arc ) and his mate Richard,
    It was unbelievable , i had just been Talking to Lee about Bob the night before about him being a good casting Coach , Lee was wanting to get a bot of pedulum casting under his belt ,

After a good bit of banter ,and a couple of pints Bob told us about Tope fishing up the Mull,
    he has had tope himself from up there ,

armed with the info it was ready to go next morning ,
    we pre baited our spot at Stairhaven , with a bucket full of chopped up macky stale brown bread and vegatable oil,

rods were cast seawardds into the Rubby Dubby trail about 80 yards out ,
    we fished all tide without a take only the odd crab, Lee and myself had a go plugging for Bass while we waited , Lee getting a schoolie and myself a mackerel,

so it was back to base evening meal and yes another evening bassing,
    we got another 6 or 7 that evening and bck to base late ,

we were doing some hours on this trip ,
    the fish were very hard to locate ,one evening we new why ,

on the way to one of our marks we saw a bloke setting a net ,not more than 200yards from ware we were going to fish,

we watched for a few minuets ,and befor his net was set hed had a fish splashing in it :crazy:
    from ware we were it looked a decent fish as well,

any way the last day came and the sea was away like a gooden so it was hars once again to get to the area we wanted to try on our last day,

Garry managed one of about 3lb or so and that was it ,
    A great week had come to an end , and it was the hardest week i had put in up there myself ,

we realy had to put in the hours for our fish,
    so if you are going up there be prepared to put the hours in or you may be dissapointe ,

It was Great to meet up with Kev, Joe, Bob, and Richard, the banter was great and the company of like minded anglers is all ways a great experience ,

as i said earlier , Garry and Lee have more photo,s to put up ,
    tight lines all
    HARRY :cool:

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Re: Mull September 2011

Oh forgot to mention Tandoo point , we too Kev and Joe there too,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

As ever a great report Harry, looked like everyone enjoyed themselves...........................

4. congerball

congerball Blenny

Nice one Harry and co. Good read once again. Up there myself shortly so fingers crossed I'll be able to post something worth reading! All the best

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Had a really good week mate, me and Joe came home today wind was rough again.

I've got a fair few photos of me own, but they'll have to wait until tomorrow to put on as my mac in in Cas and I'm gonna stay in Manchester overnight. As you mentioned, you and Gary made it look very easy, even side by side with me and Joe you were out fishing us :confused: you just must have the touch, or plenty more luck than us!

Shame the conditions weren't a little better and the fish weren't about in good numbers. By the way we got told by the lady in the Marine in Drummore today that this guy she knows had 20+ Bass from a spot very near our tent yesterday, on spinners. That's where they all were. He'd given her 3 of them very nice size. Thought we'd have done better yesterday, did you have any fish after we left?

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

No Kev no more fish , but i did Kill an other mobile phone :embarrass: it got wet :crazy:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent report and very well done to you all, some lovely looking fish there guys. Well done :cool: :cool:

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Nice report Harry,once more some canny fish and pictures.
    Pity about the area now been netted,it will soon suffer :cry: :cry:

See your still having problems remembering things though it's only August matey :embarrass: :embarrass:

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great report Harry. Thanks for a great week lads, I really enjoyed myself even though the fishing wasn't up to what we have come to expect.

Was great to meet Kev and Joe who are really keen anglers just a shame they didn't see the Mull at its best but I think they still enjoyed the trip and hopefully it will become an annual trip for them.

Here's a few snaps from our trip..

Looking from the Mull head towards Maryport.

[​IMG]

Me and Kev catching dogfish on the float.

[​IMG]

Kev and Joe at the Mull lighthouse.

[​IMG]

A nice 16lb Conger for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some bass pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Pollack snaps..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe with a Coalfish on float.

[​IMG]

Thanks again lads it was a pleasure to fish with you..

Tightlines.

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Whats he like..... :cheesy:

11. andym

andym Rockling

Excellent report and fishing I was just about to ask him where he bought his time machine from I could of used it to win tonights lottery :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report and pics once again fellas. top fishing again

13. arc

arc Blenny

Good report Harry :yes: Shame about the tope but if you 3 put the same commitment in for tope as you do for the bass i think it wont belong before you get a hook up . I have a couple of ideas Ill pass on next time i see either of you or to Lee when i take him out for a casting lesson :wink:

We concentrated on the conger and finished with 16 to mid teens between us ,Richie hadnt fished for them before but managed to get 5 out best 3 being 10lb 4oz , 12lb 4oz and 12lb 8oz , I had 11 the best unfortunately didnt get weighed as it did a runner ( or should that be slither :embarrass:) as Richie brought it up the rock face but looked 14/15lb , I also had another 4 between 10 and 11lb. We probably hooked/ had on in excess of 30 during the 3 sessions including 1 on Friday I hooked at 1.40 and finally lost at 2.05 which felt like a better class of eel altogether .

14. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

brill report and pics lads good fish to boot
    im jealous seems ages i was up there
    hopefull for a trip in a couple of weeks if theres any fish left

15. deecee

deecee Blenny

Great report lads. Seems like you had to work hard but some nice fish all the same

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Re: Mull August 2011

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: just realise mate , what a plonker i am
    put it right now ,

thanks for the waders Andy , driest i have been for a long time :wink:

17. congerball

congerball Blenny

I know what you're saying mate but seen a few 'netters' up there for a good few years now....and seems to be picking up if anything.....so should be fine...hopefully!

Tightlines

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A really good report there Harry , some quality fish and nice photos , Just because you go to the Mull you still have to catch the fish
    at times I think we set the bar to high , Imagine fishing locally getting 3 conger in a session , 8 , 11 and 16 lb , from whitby west / the
    brigg / bleau wyke etc etc would you be happy ? you bet you would , bass to 4lb , pollack to around 6lb with double figure bags
    again would you be happy , a very well done to you all ------- the more you practice the luckier you get

19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Top drawer fishing again lads,...great report :yes:

20. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Great report with top quality photos. There's some cracking fish you caught between you. Well done lads. :yes: