1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mull of Galloway 2010 Report... Double figure Bass.

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by GJW, Jul 31, 2010.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Read about Mull Of Galloway Sea Angling Here.
    Read All The Forum Topics On The Mull Of Galloway Here.
    Read About Sea Fishing In Scotland Here

Well just landed back from another trip to MOG, And what can i say, another week of good fishing with great company, cheers lads.. Shame it goes so fast!!!

We were joined by Andy, (Shadrap) on this adventure as he wanted a piece of the bass action that we had on our previous trips, and the potential it had to produce another double figure bass was just too tempting for him to turn down..

Well to be honest the Pollack fishing wasn't up to the standard we have come to expect, but maybe then that could be just us expecting far to much, how can you say you have had a bad pollack session, just because you only landed 15 size pollack, but we do, and i am probably the worst for it... :embarrass: we all caught pollack most were mainly around the 1lb - 2lb mark with odd one going 4lb - 5lb and not too forget Mr Brockbank's (brocky's) new pb of 9lb 2oz..... Nice one Lee... :yes: :yes:

Big cliff with an average size pollack..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me with a couple of pollack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats a fat un and the fish aint bad either!! thought i would say that before big cliff does.. :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even caught a dogfish on the float.....

[​IMG]

Andy with a Pollack..

[​IMG]

John (Pouncer) does a good job catching the small un's.... :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin with a decent pollack..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Al with another.

[​IMG]

Andy and the pollack marks behind..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The get down..

[​IMG]

Go West came along and some of the lads were fly fishing for Pollack.

[​IMG]

Lee's new PB Pollack of 9lb 2oz caught on my 10 - 30g light shimano spinning rod, what a scrap... :yes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice one Lee (brocky).

Andy (shadrap) really wanted to catch a conger so off we went to the conger hotspot and his wish was granted..

Andy and Lee on the way down.

[​IMG]

Andy with a new PB shore caught conger of 13lb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We caught a few nice conger into double figures but no monsters this time, but still you wouldn't want one in the bath with you... :laugh:

Andy lands an angry eel..

[​IMG]

Me with a couple of Congers..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Conger recovers in a rockpool..

[​IMG]

After catching Pollack and conger it was back to the cottage for some tea, a short rest bite then off out into the dark in search of bass on lures....

We even tempted John and Martin to come and have a go lure fishing for bass, and they both caught bass for the first time on lures, with Johns first ever lure caught bass going 10lb 1oz, some people are just born lucky... :laugh:

It only goes to prove that they are some very good bass to be caught up there and that Harrycods 13lber on our 2009 trip was no fluke, i have witnessed several very good fish lost and half a dozen or so between 6 - 8lb..

When i asked John about what happened and how he managed to catch and land such a fine fish, he said in only the way John Powson could, " i was bored and thinking about going back to the cottage for some lager, when i half heartedly cast out and i was just about to lift my lure out, or should i say the one "GJW" lent me, when the bladderwrack infront of exploded and my rod bent right over and line started screaming from the reel i dont really know who was more suprised me or the bass".......

Cracking fish Mr Powson... (Pouncer)

[​IMG]

Well i spent the rest of the week hopeing i too would catch a double figure bass, but although i caught plenty and really enjoyed it, i couldn't catch nothing over about 4lb 8oz.. But we all had some cracking sport and Lee (brocky) got himself another PB this time a bass of 5lb 4oz..

[​IMG]

Sport was at times hectic with two of us into fish at the same time quite common..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me, Lee (brocky) and Andy (shadrap) had a late session last night, landing 21 bass and 3 pollack all the bass in the last session were all good sample between 3lb - 4lb 8oz i really believe you willl be hard pushed to find better fishing anywere in the uk, and i would really like to thank you all for making it a great trip.... Surely there's a double figure bass with my name on!!!!! :embarrass:

Tightlines

Gary

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done again lads, you always deliver the goods

3. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

well done lads a thoroughly entertaining read and excellent photos!!!!! the fishing up there looks amazing...I have total respect for yous and what yous achieved especially the bass,that report wouldnt look out of place in sea angler mag..thanks.

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

brilliant stuff again gary. Well done to John on his big bass and Lee on his pollack.

Cant wait for September, I hope there's some big bass waiting for me!

5. robq

robq Rockling

great report and fantastic pics as always Gary :cool:

The MOG is somewhere that I going to HAVE to visit soon !!

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Lads cracking report and pictures you certainty know how to winkle them out makes you think what the hell are we all doing living down here i hope my 5 year plan works out stoneykirk here i come lock stock and barrel might even think about taking the wife Ha Ha 3 or 4 weeks then im off back up there tightlines Alain

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking report Gary, big well done to everyone especially John and Lee with those stonkin Bass. REALLY can't wait to go in Sept, those Pollock look very nice and the odd Conger would be nice :yes:

8. broony

broony Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fantastic fishing there. How late were you getting the bass? Looks pretty dark. What were the lures doing the catching there?

Been over twice so far this year, back out again in about a month. Would love to have a couple of sessions like you did. We've only managed a few schoolies so far, nothing big. Such an amzing place though. Such variety of fishing in such a small area.

9. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Having lived and fished the area all my life.... i have to admit, i wouldn't move anywhere else purely because of the fishing.
    I've got to tip my hat to you guys, you always do well up this end... some cracking reports.
    Well done guys!!!!

10. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 boys, quality fishing.................

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Anyone who tries to tell you that UK sea fishing is not worth the effort, really is having a laugh. Quality fishing and a superb report as always well done to Brocky on the pollack and Pouncer on a bass of a lifetime. Garry your efforts in posting such qaulity reports really is appreciated mate and Im sure I speak for everyone in saying a big thankyou for the time you have taken to post this up for us all to enjoy.

12. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Yet another superb report Gary and can I add my thanks to all of the guys for making it a superb week not forgetting to add my compliments to the chef for making the dining an experience almost as good as the fishing :evil: :evil:

The lures were a mix of surface and shallow divers.Komomo II,Patchinko and LG Gunfish and the fish were taken from dusk into dark (sometimes quite late :sleepy: :sleepy:).There was one occasion I had watched some bass in water no more than a foot deep so I perched myself on a rock a waited for the tide to flood and cover the weed giving me a chance with the surface plug.A short under arm flick no more than 5 yards out resulted in an explosive take and a fair old tussle to keep the fish away from weed and rock,the result was a nice gleaming silver bar around the 3.5lb mark.
    I reckon we have a good angler in the making with Brocky,I was well chuffed when he got his PB'S and Gary your time will come my friend and I hope I am there to shake your hand and share an early morning celebratory drink with.
    I have saved John's achievement till last as words will never be able to describe the look on his face as he shouted me over to see his fish(it was covered in bladderwrack after all from the explosion caused by the fish ).A superb fish to an absolute gent,arise King John,leader of the 2010 bass pack you are a true leader in the art of bass fishing and I thank you for blessing me with your fair hand and stroking my red for me.

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What do you guys think about bass fishing in the dark in our region ?? Why would they take in the dark in Scotland and not here ?

14. BigBen

BigBen New Member

superb report and superb fishing congratulations to everyone involved some cracking fish there and that bass if a dream of a lifetime fish well done :happy:

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cracking report gary . A big well done to pouncer with his p.b. bass and brocky and shadrap[ with there pb`s , some fishing up there guys well done to all..... :yes:
    Certain spots round here tend to fish better in the dark i think .

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

What a superb report Garry, the effort you put in is outstanding, and what with Alan starting to feel his age :whistle: i think the mantle has been passed on to safe hands,
    the fishing as has been siad is superb up there, and sometimes we get a bit blarsey when we dont do as well as we think,
    but Garry you allways pull it out , just look at johns brilliant first ever bass, and the quality of fish you manage to find , pollack ,conge,r bass, i only hope i am there to see you get your double figure Bass, well done allso to Andy, and Lee on his excelent pb pollack, and to the old hand Alan on his enthusisum, i will be thinking of you all when i am hopefully pulling out the big one,s in two weeks time :yes: , never mind sea angler, we have something far better in the lads on this forum who go out and do it for the fun , keep it up lads , tight lines all , Harry
    ps welcome to the double club John :wink:

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

What can I say, apart from you happened to luckily drop onto some fish again :whistle: Top fishing by lads who really know their stuff :educated:

18. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Cracking report and pic's 1st class fishing especially to the lads with the new PB Well done boys

19. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Brilliant report as per gary, looks like you all had a fantastic time up there

20. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well gary , what can be said that already hasnt been said, your reports are always the dogs bollocks and you and the rest of the lads must have had a brilliant time again.. thats the type of fishing that most forum readers dream about..
    thanks for your time and effort
    cheers
    Paul