1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most unusual catch. What's yours??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I've had a few sea gulls and a couple of ducks, but the most unusual was a bat when I was fly fishing on the river Nidd as few years ago.

BP

2. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Wrecking off whitby in the 80's hooked into what I and the skipper thought was a monster! There wasn't much of a fight, but it was so dam heavy. The the skipper was watching it come up on the sounder and keeping me posted on how near the surface it was. After what seemed like an eternity, skipper says "30 feet to go" by this time most of the lads on board were watching in anticipation. As it came into view, no-one could believe what I'd caught! It was a bleedin rock weighing about 5kg with a big frond of weed attached to it :mad: gutted didn't come close!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I had a jet skier fishing at upgang got him round the neck managed to grab the rod before it was dragged in he put up a hell of a fight.
    Got him on 15lb line size 1/0 hook and lugworm for bait just before high tide threw him back to grow a bit bigger.
    What a prat lucky he never choked to death.
    But he's my biggest catch to date so should of stuffed him and put him above the fire place. :D

4. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

My dad caught a dustpan off of The East Pier at Scarborough a couple of summers ago whilst spinning. And I remember catching a seagull when I was younger.

Loved the mattress story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dyeox

dyeox Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi gary the unusual catch ive had is our lass shes more unusual than me

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Unbeatable!!!!

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

We were uptiding om sea otter 2 in the festival this year gone and Debbie a regular on whitby charter boats had hooked into a monster after struggling with what we all thought was a festival winner she did a "big cliff" and pulled in a big bucket full of water and a codling im sure paul took a photo
    Poor lass was knackered

cod help me !

8. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mate of mine rigged a tin of tuna to a hook and length of line slid it down a lads line when he wasn't looking,he reeled it in and was gobsmacked thought he had caught it?took 30mins to convince hi it was a prank

9. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

me too mate !! 4 mile off flamborough head on the gun house rough,it was a proper pukka normanton house brick!! Hooked Straight through one of the three holes!!Thought I'd got a decent fish as it fought like hell in the tide!!

10. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

caught a pair of Y fronts while fishing from my first sea going boat in Tees bay.

11. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

There is a few good one's in this post as well Gary from a few years back.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9244.60

12. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Thats pants!! Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

13. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i caught a fish with a hypodermic needle in it,,, one of the lads recon it was a drug haddock ;)

okay i'l get me coat

14. kencoddy

kencoddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

corking for makkie down the gare seal took my fish but must have got hooked after 300 hundred yards of line fast dissappearing off the reel and a redface some bloke shouted play it never laughted so much

15. young casper

thats just reminded me kencoddy , i was pollock fishing up at the caravan site at whithorn and was free
    lining sand eels,, hooked into a massive seal as well,, nearly papped me self ;)

16. MCP

MCP Blenny

A long time ago in the 1970's I was fishing during a warm summer evening with my youngest brother Paul who was about 10 at the time for billet off the Marine Drive, Scarborough near the toll house. Paul's spinning rod bent over, as he struggled to wind his catch in and the crowd of tourists gathered to witness the catch. I could see what looked like a short fat black eel on his line. Seconds later he swung in a large black durex full of water which then collapsed as it hit the pavement. The crowd disappeared faster than some of my old mates did when you said it was their round, with parents dragging kids away being questioned by their kids on what he had caught. We told Paul he had caught a big rubber monster and had to kick it back in!

Mick

17. young casper

funny that MCP when we were kids we used to fish them out of the tyne with sticks ,, we called them tyne trout he he ;)

18. busmar1

busmar1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My mate was fishing next to me whitby west a few years back,pulled in a hell of a catch,he snagged a rod with a reel on it someone had obviously lost when we pulled the line in full set of end gear with a big fat lobster hooked on,

19. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not many in sea fishing probably a tadpole fish being the most unusual.

I did catch a Kormorant whilst pike fishing at driffield vicious things!

20. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I caught a womens purse under the new flyover at Whitby a few years back during a St Marys match, thought i had a good fish on until it surfaced. When i handed it in to the police it turned out to have pickpocketed the week before from a tourist. the Club wouldn't let me weigh the 5 pound phone card in for the match though!!!

Also hooked a Guillemot on a float rig up at Arbroath fishing next to Terry Dalton. Both thought i had a good sized Pollack for a while.