1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More than a Full Winters Cod in one day!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Jul 13, 2010.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Firstly , apologies for the lack of pics on this report - Gary took most of them and he's still up in Arbroath with his camera so I only have a few pics from yesterday when I deemed it safe enough to take my camera with me.

I was invited to spend the weekend fishing for summer cod around Arbroath with Gary, Alan and Martin. Alan and Martin were at a wedding on saturday and couldn't get up till Sunday so myself and Gary headed up early Saturday morning. We arrived at the cottage about 10:30, quickly dumped our gear off, had a cuppa and headed to our first mark. It was a fairly long walk but it turned out to be well worth it.

It was a jowly old day - a north east wind, drizzle and about 13 degress, a lot different to th weather back home but it didnt deter us or the fish!

It was a place where you can literally catch cod at your feet. I chucked out no more than 5 or 6 yards into a gulley with a big tidal tow and within 5 minutes had my first summer cod of about 5lbs. Gary chucked in and he soon had his first, a fish of about 3lbs.

The tide flow at this mark was amazing - this photo was taken yesterday when the sea was like glass - all the water movement is tide...

[​IMG]

The bites were coming thick and fast and by the time we left this mark I'd caught 9 cod to about 5lb and Gary had 8 including a nice fish of 5lb 6oz.

As the tide dropped so did the bites so we headed back towards the car to another mark which gary told me fished well on the ebb. The bites once again were almost immediate and we had another 3 hours of cracking sport. I noticed a likely looking hole and told gary I was going to have a chuck in it. Gary informed me that they had never done very good from there but something told me to go for it, so i waded across onto a rock and chucked past the kelp. I was stood on the rock holding my rod for about 5 minutes when the rod almost got pulled out of my hands and I knew straight away I was into a better fish. It got stuck in the kelp a couple of times but eventually I landed a lovely red cod weighing 7lb 9oz, my second best shore cod. (gary has pics)

As it got towards Low water the bites tailed off and we headed back to the cottage, the totals for the day: me, 15 cod. Gary 12 cod, 1 billet and a conger of about 4lbs. What a day!

To put this in perspective, from October to April back home, I only caught 13 cod from the shore, and that was from many many trips.

Alan and Martin arrived on Sunday. It was a brighter day but the wind was very strong and this made the fishing difficult. It was always going to be hard to better the day before and I really struggled, only managing 2 cod and a decent wrasse. martin did the best getting a fair few codling, although a lot were undersized. Gary and Alan also got a 3 or 4 fish each, although the biggest was about 4lb.

Weatherwise, Yesterday was the best day, no wind, warm and plenty of sunshine. We headed to Auchmithie first to fish the start of the flood tide.

Team photo...

[​IMG]

Martin was once again on form pulling 6 out, although he could have had a few more but missed some great bites.

Martin with a typical Arbroath summer cod...

[​IMG]

fine figure of a man...

[​IMG]

I landed and lost a couple of fish at Auchmithie, biggest being about 4lb, and Alan and Gary also had 2 or 3 fish each. Bite tailed off and we headed off to our second mark of the day. Myself and Gary decided to go back to the first mark we had been to on Saturday while Alan and Martin opted for a bit of cliff fishing (suprise, surprise)

It was never going to fish as well as it had the other day but I got 4 codling to about 3.5 lbs and gary had 2 or 3 and a couple of nice billet on a spinner. Some kayakers were just coming past as I struck into my best fish and they stopped for a chat. It turns out the lady yakker had climbed everest earlier this year! We gave them the cod for their tea and off they went.

Before long it was time for the climb back up the hill and the walk to the car. I was knackered but could have stayed longer. I had an amazing time. The scenery , fishing and company were top class and I must say a big thanks to the lads for inviting me. We had a great laugh and a few beers every night :yes: I caught 23 cod in 3 days

here's a few more pics from yesterday. I'm sure Gary will post a more comprehensive report with more fishy pics when he gets back and has time.

Auchmithie...

[​IMG]

deep kelp beds at Auchmithie...

[​IMG]

Me with a small codling from Ethie...

[​IMG]

Gary getting a bite...

[​IMG]

yesterdays location...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigBen

BigBen New Member

great report mate and some cracking pic's aswell to go with it good job :happy:

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Cracking report and pictures matty well done i hope to get up that way fishing sometime myself tightlines Alain

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well done lads.

5. deecee

deecee Blenny

Some great fishing there Matty . Well done . Look forward to more pictures when the other lads get back

Dave

6. century lad

century lad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking session lads get in....top report and pics :yes:

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Brilliant report matty. Looks like you had a fantastic time up there

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Looks like you had a good time Matty and plenty of fish, nice one, enjoyed the pictures, looks a great to place to fish, you saying the winter fishing around here's pants??

9. Groyne

Groyne Guest

It's amazing the difference a couple of hundred miles make. Excelent report. :yes:

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

:whistle:

11. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

What a brill report and the pics are excellent well done all.

12. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fantastic report Matster, well done on the fish pal.....Looks a stunning place to fish.....................

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done matty, what a beautiful place to fish

14. newdave

newdave Guest

might as well go to Pickering trout farm matty, its obviously just too easy catching cod up there & no skill required :whistle:.

:cheesy: :kiss: :laugh:

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It looks beautiful up there lads, well done once again.

16. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Oh,reading that post and looking at them pics sure brought back some fine memories of the summers i spent around that area.Aucmithie,rumness,ethie mains to name but a few.I too caught more in a day than a full winters codding so Can relate to how you must have felt up there.Well done,cant wait to see the further pics from Gary and co.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Looks lovely up there Matty , really glad the fishing was brilliant for you`s . There is some great pictures there also ...Well done.... :yes:

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff lads and a quality report once again... tight lines

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Matty, some excelent photo,s there , i recognise the five yard shot matey, hope it fills back up for me on friday , and i will certainly be looking at aucmithie, bodin ,elephant rock , to name a few , Did anyone use cart or was it all crab,
    allso did anyone catch on frozen any help greatly appreciated :wink: i will try and get up to see Garry and Alan on friday night before they leave once again well done , :cool:

20. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

always sure of a good report mat and pics to