1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More self torture Shetland June 9th & 10th 2018

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by tatch1, Jun 12, 2018.

1. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Friday morning arrived the annual Shetland trip time was here I hadn't slept as usual like a kid waiting for santa no matter how many times you visit its like your first time every time :D I arrived at Carls house nice & early and off we went. First stop Newcastle to join up with Alex & john who had the crew bus quick transfer of gear & off to pick up willie & tam from Arbroath & Edinburgh then on to Aberdeen onto the ferry for teatime & into the bar for a beer followed by food & more beer& laughs.Down to the cabin when the bar shut .Morning after off we go again for the Toft Ulsta ferry & the journey to Culivoe where we went straight on to the charter boat Oberon with skipper Kenny graham & son callum after the usual exchange & greetings off we went. You always get exited on this boat as you never know what's coming next it always turns up monsters novelty's & personal bests galore & this trip was to be no exception with huge cod ling & Haddock & arm wrenching muscle pulling never give up coalies we had it all. We always go have a drink with the locals after day one usually one too many as well but we were too shattered to drink too much this time so after a few tales & many laughs :lol: :lol: :lol: we retired to the digs for a kip ready for day two.What a day we had monster ling cod & them oh no :roll: here we go again coalies to 27lb plus then I got something I knew was no coalie or cod it was a dead weight with lunges like nothing ive felt before it seemed an eternity before it finally came to the boat never seen one before never mind caught one ive got a monk I shouted as an anglerfish of 36lb came over the side day two ended & we filleted our fish got packed for the long journey back what a trip Thanks to carl Alex & Willie For getting us there & back safe & sound photos and video to follow chaps on another note I took a 30lb- 35lb ZZiplex islander to test to destruction (it didn't destruct ) & my new Avet HX 3 speed Raptor with me what a combination the rod handled everything easily a real joy to use & the reel too sheer quality & also a doddle thanks to the three speeds to tell the truth I was blown away by the quality & performance of both that's my combination for wrecking & sharking from now on with out a doubt Dropbox - VID-20180611-WA0001.mp4[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great write up and pictures as always, love your enthusiasm for the long trip, it must be hard but that fishing is out of this world

Two of the best eating fish with the haddock and that lovely monk as well

3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what a report and well done on that catch you deserve that for the effort you put in

4. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report & pics,

Might be worth considering fishing up there as an alternate to Norway

If catches maintain constantly .

5. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Well done on the fish, I think a full on trip like that would finish me off.:eek:

6. tatch1

It is bloody hard work you need a few days to get over it

7. tatch1

A better photo of the Haddock [​IMG]

8. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A better one would be with some chips and peas:)

9. wilky

wilky Blenny

Some proper fish there. I like the way skippers scales go up to 330 lb !

10. tatch1

that's because of the big skate up there

11. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report & pics.