1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Camping and Fishing at the Mull of Galloway

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BeeceUK, May 27, 2014.

1. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi,

We had another weekend up the Mull Of Galloway with the tent this weekend and got some more fishing in. Getting there about 10am Saturday morning we headed off to our first mark on the West Coast side to do some Pollock fishing on an ebbing tide, the weather was lovelty on Saturday with the sun blazing down on us. Unlike the usual story I was first into a fish instead of my brother with a small Pollock to a Fiiish minnow lure....

[​IMG]

Over the next 4 hours we fished the tide down and had around 70 fish between the two of us. Unfortunately the average size of these fish mainly Pollock with the odd coley thrown in was pretty small with most being anywhere between 3/4 - 2lb, with the odd 3lber thrown in there. We both lost a couple of fish that felt bigger getting us into the kelp and snagging us up. I like to think they were monsters but maybes it was just bad angling !! ;) I must admit to getting a little complacent with the smaller fish, leaving my drag slacker than normal that when the bigger ones hit , they only needed that second or twos delay in reaction to turn it to their advantage and get the better of us. All fish were taken using lures, either soft plastic types or casting jigs. The metals accounted for most of the fish in a sink and draw style...

[​IMG]

After setting up the tent at the Clash site , we headed back out to fish a different mark on the flooding tide into the evening. A quick word with the farmer, a climb down the rocks and were were set up again. The fishing again here was pretty productive with around 30 fish that evening, stamp of the fish was roughly the same. My brother also managed a nice Wrasse, again caught on a casting jig, certainly a very versatile lure in terms of species that are happy to have a go at them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather turned at around 8.30 that evening with the rain coming down pretty heavily which was a shame as we decided to call it a day with the Pollock fishing as we didnt want the rocks and grass to get too wet and dodgy fo the climb back up. The rain didnt let up so we decided against going out bassing that niht and decided on a couple of whiskies and an early night in the tent.

Sunday we headed back to the first mark from the day before but in choppier / windier / more overcast conditions only managed about 12 fish between us all morning. We decided to go out bassing that evening so headed out to a Luce bay mark and fished the tide up from low all the way to high and into the ebb. There was a good amount of fishy signs on getting down there, the birds were hitting bait of some kind a few hundred metres from the shore and standing in the sea plugging we had a few shoals of small baitfish swimming between our legs. Despite seeing a couple of fish come out of the water and a decent looking bass of 4-5lb try a couple of times to nail my brothers popper that he was fishing we didnt hook up. Despite the days being pretty warm up there when the sun is shining , the nights are still pretty cold and coupled with the fact my waders had sprung a major leak we called it a night around 11ish.

Monday, we headed to a spot up near Port Patrick but with conditions being similar to the Sunday we struggled again taking just a few fish each before setting off back home.

It certainly felt more alive and fishy than when we were up 3 weeks ago, the birds working luce bay along with the bait fish and signs of bass are all promising and fingers crossed it will be a good summer up there.

Ben

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Despite our own poor catches The Mull has become one of my favourite fishing venues. Need to get up there soon. Congrats on the catches. Lets hope this year can be a lot more productive. Keep the reports coming.

Out of interest, how much is the campsite per night and is there hot showers ??

3. Baramundi Bob

Lots of information on The Mull Of Galloway Here

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-at-the-rhins-and-mull-of-galloway

4. BeeceUK

Thanks Glenn,

We love it up there too, and despite not having had any monsters up there yet !!, see it all part of the learning curve. Everytime we go up we seem to gain a bit more knowledge and experience , even though it can be frustrating at the time, ie the hard slog over the top of a moor only to find that there arent anymore getdowns (or at least any we could find) then having to hoof it all the way back to where we were fishing !!

Camping at the Clash is £6 per head per night, down on the little grass / field where the campsite joins the beach. There is a small tiolet block down by the beach which hasnt been open since last year so were told not to use it. There is also a toilet / shower room attached to the pub for people who are camping. Its not the best facilities Ive ever seen on a site to be fair, but they do the job and it serves as a cheap base to access the Southern end of the Peninsula.

5. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report Ben you and dan are certainly putting in the hours it's nice reading the reports and seeing the pics struggling to find the time myself at the moment.

6. BeeceUK

Cheers Craig,

Don't think you are missing much locally at the moment to be fair, we went out a couple of times on the night time low tides plugging a couple of weeks ago despite saying we wouldnt try till June !!. I didnt manage anything though but my brother had two fish on the plugs !! First was an undersize Cod of all things and next cast a billet, managed to get a shaky phone photo of the cod but didnt really consider it being report worthy lol.

7. congerball

congerball Blenny

Sounds like you had a good session! Brilliant to see so many fish getting caught. Sure the biggys will be down there too. Another great report, well done.

8. andym

andym Rockling

Nice report and pics really need to get up that area with the kayak

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Great report and some canny fish Ben , well done .

10. congerball

congerball Blenny

You won't be disappointed. (as long as the fish play ball!)
    There's so many launch sites to choose from.

West Tarbet would be good to get straight on the Pollock, paddling Northish towards Port Logan would cover some of the best Pollock grounds hugging the coast. Beware of strong tides in this area. Or do it the other way round.

Ardwell Bay, New England, Terally Bay all the way to Drummore....there's loads of easy launch points. Bass & Maccys close in on a nice evening, Tope not far out. Couldn't be easier for you yakkers.

11. Baramundi Bob

Personally speaking unless your an accomplished yakker and know how to plan a trip I wouldnt even contemplate fishing the Irish sea on a kayak. I certainly wouldn't do it. Too dangerous and too much ride for fishing on a yak. Stick to Luce Bay.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

12. andym

andym Rockling

I've kayak fished up that way once the main concerns I found was the lack of get out points if something went wrong as it was sharp high slippy rock cliffs between a few well spread out sandy landings

13. Baramundi Bob

Theres some Helish tide runs at the places we pollack fish like Ramseys farm. I wouldnt want to be there in a kayak.