1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Anybody know where this term for a small size codling comes from. I've heard of the term tommy 's for undersized codling. I'm surd this question gas been asked before but I can't remember the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

We used to call them tommy's too Paul. Not sure where that comes from either to be honest. Always imagined that they called them mops because they cleaned everything up!

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ray you are from tommy codling land, its a term from north of the tees for undersize codling, that's where you probably heard it. as for mops, do you really think it comes from cleaning up in matches with mops. interesting

4. robq

robq Rockling

I first heard codling called mops on the brigg in the mid to late 80s

The holderness lads didnt even know what a mop was and I felt really cool saying I had had a few mops lol ;D

5. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My father used to say Tommy's in the 80's (eston, boro), and 3rd generation of fishermen in the area. Always laugh when the Geordies ask me what a billet is up here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

6. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I have always called them Tommy's, not something you hear too often now.

7. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

What about this one paul,small coding called nits?wonder where that came from?

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Everyone called them Tommies Paul, we used to run around our rods 3 times as kids shouting "howay tommy codling" to induce a bite lol but I don't know how they got the name.
    With the mops I meant they mopped up the grub not the prize money.
    Nits is a term often used around here

9. And a Billet is ?

???

10. Jem

Jem Blenny

That would be a "Coalie" or "Coal fish" I've always known small codling as tommies, and as mike_t stated, it's not heard very often nowadays

11. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

must agree with ray..mops are tommies from my neck of the woods....and i have only heard the term "mops" from salt burn down overs, even when i fished the south gare....i only heard "little tommies" and never mops... but billet seemed to be more commonly used..
    cheers
    Paul

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Rattlers was the phrase we mainly used years ago then mops seem to take over but as the word says rattlers that's just what small codling do .

Paul

13. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The term mops was first used in 1998 on saltburn pier when a guy called Mr lobbley caught 24 codling between the 1.5lb and 2.5lb mark, there were so many codling on the pier boards that Mr lobbley fell over and somebody made the comment the boards need moping, the term has stuck ever since and shortly after that night the pier was closed for 5 months due to repairs! Now im not insinuating that Mr lobbleys fall had any connection with the repair work ???

14. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Mops was also new word to me. I think it could be cos they have a large head and long thin body..

15. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

This is turning into more like 'Call My Bluff' than a chuffin fishing forum.

Out of interest what happened to Frank Muir anyway?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

16. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mops is new to me. Do use billet for coalie and blegg for pouting

17. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Nits are the name for small prawns. You could get a bag of nits from Hartlepool quay off the trawlers for a pound years ago.

18. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

lol i sometimes say mops to the lads at work then have to strat again n say tommys. lol its mad

mick

19. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thought billet woz the term for a tiny say 4" coalie,not a decent size coalie :-\

20. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Pennock for a lil coalie and billet for bigger round whitby way m8

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2