1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing angler near Burniston

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by SJG, Jan 31, 2014.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not nice at all, I do hope it ends well. As mentioned before, we all can relate to this and thoughts are with his family and friends at this worrying time.

2. worm drowner

worm drowner Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I hope he's found my thoughts go out to his family

3. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Awfull news something all our loved ones must go threw when we say we will be back and end up coming back hrs later,something we can all relate to I'm sure,hope he is found safe n well,thoughts with his family at this very sad worrying time please take care everyone venturing out this weekend

4. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Really hope he is found safe, really scary news. Thoughts go out too all his friends and family they must be going through hell at the moment.

5. crabbermart

crabbermart Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fingers crossed for good news,got to feel it for his wife and family,thoughts are with you all

6. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Fingers crossed for the lad. Times like this really put into perspective the risks we sometimes take to catch/land a fish. Thoughts with his family at this very difficult time.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

7. bearne007

bearne007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hope the lad gets found safe and well...thoughts are with the family makes you think how many risks you take sometimes when fishing tight lines all

8. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

fingers crossed lets hope it ends well

9. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Scares me this. I hope this fella is found safe and well. I hate cliffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

10. pat cottam

pat cottam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi to all,

Was wondering if there would be any interest in having a sweep of the area at LW today or tomorrow?
    Been thinking about this a lot, realising it could be any one of us.
    If im out of order asking this, then i apologise, but seeing that the coastguard are not continuing the search "unless new information comes to light"
    thought we as anglers who know the area could maybe help out one of our own.

Regards
    Pat

11. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Personally i think its a good idea.

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I, m having a walk up threre with my dog later pat for the same reasons that you have said. It was crawling with people searching for him yeterday. The fact that they are not continuing speaks volumes though.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The only thing I would say is missing persons searches need co ordinating, the emergency services do that, any search should be with them or at least sfter speaking with them. Several considerations, they have the correct immediate comms links for a casualty and worse case scenario is a scene of a body needs management.

As anglers we all want a fellow safe but please contact the coadtguard before people set out on searches, we don t want a second incident.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Personally dave I, m just having a walk up there with my dog. I, ll take my binocular,s with me. I wont be scaling cliffs or anything extreme. If I see something I will contact the coastgaurd!

15. pat cottam

pat cottam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

With the greatest respect to you Dave, thats all i would be doing ,minus the dog, and at least i wont be alone.
    I realise that strictly speaking there are procedures to follow, but its a person were talking about here.
    Regards
    Pat

16. cps

cps Rockling

dave
    most local experienced anglers are 10 times better on the rocks than the coast guard lads they are bound up with h&s as you well know in your job, local lads in studded boots are a lot less likely to have a fall than the coast guard lads in walking boots not a knock on the aux coast guard as they do a sterling job just an observation from when I have seen them in action

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I know lads and I want nige home safe and sound, nothing but concern for nige here but pat you asked if lads wanted to do a sweep,,,,, it might be something the coastguard and police need help with and they may then supply the people with the gear to get a helicopter or ambulance or relative to the location quickly. no mobile signal under cliffs is a likely but radio comms more useful.

Self organised searches can hamper despire the best of intentions, we all want nige home safe and nobody else to become a casualty that was all lads.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Just to explain further, a search will often be targeted on up to date info. . A search that the emergency services don t know about could send resources to a false report, ie a member of the public sees someone on the rocks and then reports it, that will then need checking so resourxes could be sent away from one area to then find it is someone doing their own search, whereas speak to the police and coastguard so they know where you are what you ate doing and then they will know whete you are and be able to know what where and who.

Anyway I m speakung from concern not critisism lads up to you I m jyst speaking from a point of being involved in missing persons and a coordinated approach is the best way.

Goid luck if you go out.

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

This is awfull news ,i do hope things turn out well for his family,s sake ,
    makes you think hard about life ,when i think of some of the scrapes i have been in it comes home hard,
    i think i will be taking things a lot easier nowadays , good luck to all who are searching for him .

20. cps

cps Rockling

was more meaning the second incident scenario than the actual search side of things, I know how they work I have been involved in a few scouring cliffs for would be drunk drivers fleeing accidents, always found the police helo with the heat sensing camera was the best tool for finding people
    sadly after all this time things are not looking good but we have to hope