1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing angler near Burniston

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by SJG, Jan 31, 2014.

1. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys,
    I fished Horseback and San Antonio last night. I saw a small silver car when I arrived at 8 in the car park, but no light on at all all along beach (I was only one there).
    I had my light off, so I would have even seen a beam if they had been on the promontory to Jackson's.
    I got done at 11.45 and was surprised to see car still there. Just assumed he must have gone on a long walk to Jackson's, rather than coming at it from Sea Life.
    Strange.
    Obviously dark, but I saw no evidence at all on beach of abandoned kit, etc.. Mind you, his tripod was in the car.

Anyway, if it helps, it was a silver small car, something vaguely Japanesy?
    It crossed my mind it might have been stolen, having seen no one around.

2. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

This is dreadful - what we all fear most! I gave up fishing the shore on my own a few years ago, not just for my own safety but because my wife worries so much while I'm out!

Let's still hope for a good outcome - my thoughts are with his wife and family.

3. glassback

glassback Blenny

he had parked there and walked along the cliffs towards caves
    then hundales .
    they found his rucksack and dogs there .
    but theres still no news lifeboats have been stood down
    still waiting to hear from his wife when she gets back from picking dogs up from burniston kennels

4. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sad news this, very sad lets keep our fingers crossed

5. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't know him personally,but know of him,a true gent.Hope he his found safe n well,thoughts r with him n his family n them that know him,best whishes/thoughts,
    bigsi.

6. fishface1

fishface1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what terrible news fingers crossed he is found ok sorry if this is on twice pc crashed

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Very worrying this - it's a tricky mark, when you hook a good fish as you have to go a third of the way down to have any chance of a clean lift

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Fingers are crossed and hoping for the best possible news.. Each one of us can relate to the situation, it must be a terrible time for his family right now....

9. lipslicker

And SO slippery anywhere at the moment.
    Hopefully other guys will bear that in mind?

10. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I hope this turns out well nige is good bloke :'(

11. lipslicker

I don't know the guy by name, though probably by face.
    If he fell, it was likely near high, and that doesn't sound good to me.
    There but for the grace of God go I, I always think.
    One freak wave, one loose stone, one landslide above you. Our love is a lottery.
    Fingers crossed though.

12. lipslicker

Incidentally, I did not hear even hear a dog bark or howl. Poor thing.

13. glassback

glassback Blenny

just spoke to his wife and still no news as yet

14. robq

robq Rockling

Its a wonder nobody heard one of the springers, Billy barking ?? I used to own him a few years back until Nige inherited him. All he does is bark !!

Awful to think of him and Lucy sat all night waiting and looking for him :'(

I just hope somehow, somewhere he is holed up and safe

15. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah makes u think end of day we all love it but its only fishing..... thoughts are with the family

16. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

I hope he is found safe somewhere I'm sure all emergency services are doing there very best to find him fingers crossed for him

17. lipslicker

Not a sound, and on Horseback you would have thought one would have heard.
    So, so sad.
    I have a black cocker too, and often take him out in summer months.

18. robq

robq Rockling

Billy is a 5yr old liver and white springer and His other dog is a black and white sprocker called lucy, only a year or so old and a spitting image of my cocker Lola. I cant take her fishing as shes too greedy and eats anything ::)

This is hard sat at home waiting for news :-X just wish I could do something to help, feel so bloody helpless :(

19. pikeman

pikeman Blenny

just seen it on look north,sad news i hope he is found
    sea king landed at Scarborough as one of the searchers fell and dislocated shoulder.
    no sign of him at the moment according to the report.

my thought are with his family and the lads who know him.
    pikeman

20. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yeah just seen it on look north,lucy was on a ledge...which seems to me maybe tried to follow/get to nige :(
    I hope im wrong,my thought are with family and friends