1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Cockerill Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Wow, that's certainly the sort of attitude that gets customers in. Not.

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

There's lots of support on here but just like every other topic there are differences of opinion. Let's respect that please otherwise this whole topic might end up being detrimental.

3. JG

JG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

please can you undersand that when someone says "at least we'll have a shiney new bridge for the cod season", it's like a huge kick in the ********* for a family that are giving everthing (absolutely everything) for nothing.

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I think you've taken what Harry said the wrong way. I'm not trying to be insulting, nor an ass kisser, but Harry's a top guy and he wouldn't have a dig at you, your family or your business with a sly remark. Actually if you think about it, a 'shiny new bridge' means people fishing the pier. Which means more anglers in Whitby. Which means they need bait.... you see what I'm getting at. Clouds and silver linings etc.

Let's hope the barrage of disgruntled emails that Mr Cockerill has received may help his 'judgement' in the future. Nobody agrees with what's been happening, but like the lads have said, we need to stick together on this one :happy:

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Think you should just go and see exaclty what i wrote,
    i did not use those derogetory words you have posted ,

please remove it , in fact here is exactly what i wrote ( and the bridge will be in place for this winters codding , )
    i will be pleased to accept your appology, :confused:

6. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sorry Jackie but that looks like a cheap shot to be honest. I don't know Harry very well but I reckon he'll be very disappointed with your post and you could well have lost a customer without the help of SBC.

I've watched this thread with interest and in the current economic situation honestly sympathise with your personal concerns. However, your concerns appear to be around self interest and not neccesarily the long term good of Whitby as a whole. If the actions of this survey mean the bridge will be repaired and not need further work for 20 years, will a couple of days loss of partial trade (are crab lines and crab bait your main source of income?) be that severe? I fear this is being used as another political excuse to kick the balls of SBC.

Your situation has gained a lot of sympathy and interest but private enterprises all over the country are affected by roadworks and day to day problems of one sort or another, do they get compensated when this happens? If so then you should be.

Don't get me wrong I completely agree that it does appear that SBC are deliberately neglecting the needs of Whitby, have some kind of agenda against maintaining the town and also agree there is plentiful evidence to support those notions but do they really want to put rate paying businesses out of work? If that is true, proven or sensible remains to be seen but I get the feeling that there are people on the case that are passionate and dedicated enough to find out without rising to or elevating every conspiracy theory going.

Nick

ps
    I am now putting on my hard hat and retreating to my trench!!

7. JG

JG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ok, I understand how you feel and what you are saying. I haven't got any fight left in me. I just think its really sad that shop has been there for over 40 years and dads are still bringing there sons in to buy their first rod there because they remember thats what their dad did. I'm sorry if I've said anything wrong. I'm very senimenal about that shop, its where my son worked with me. I promise you its not commercial reasons that make me fight for it. If it was I would be long gone. I will be very, very sad for me to see it turn into another cafe or charity shop. I think it's probably better if I don't come on here anymore, this forum is really for you anglers and I shouldn't interfere. sorry. bye

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Probably one of the best, well reasoned replies on this thread so far. Made a refreshing change from some of the kneejerk posts we've had. I really do feel for Jackie, difficult times which appear to of been made more difficult by some of the descisions SBC have made. I agree the timing of closing kiddies corner could of been a lot better but I imagine Mike Cockrill will also have lots to deal with on a daily basis so perhaps it was just a slight oversight rather than this theory that he is masterminding the downfall of Whitby.
    As for closing the bridge, now might not be the ideal time but it's due to be finished with plenty of the holiday season remaining. Everyone would complain if it was closed during the winter (and they did last winter). April/May might be the best time but sometimes councils can't work their schedule around our hobby.
    Now I don't know all the facts so I maybe wrong in what I've said but I bet most of the angry posters on here don't have all the facts either, just airing my opinion.

9. ian wils

ian wils Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Date: 9 June 2012 14:18
    To: Cllr.Mike.Cockerill@scarborough.gov.uk

hi a was just wondering if you could give me a explanation as to why
    one of the safest places for children to fish in whitby as been closed
    over3 days during the school holidays, surely any survey work could
    have been done either before the holidays or after , also once again
    s.b.c dont think of the people of whitby the best bit of sport fishing
    from the west pier is soon to start and low and behold s.b.c decide to
    close the pier why do they not consult the local people and local
    businesses e.c.t what next re tarmac pier road and kyber pass during
    regatta weekend look forward to reading your reply
    many thanks ian wilson

----------
    From: Cllr.Mike Cockerill <Cllr.Mike.Cockerill@scarborough.gov.uk>
    Date: 9 June 2012 15:08
    To: IAN WILSON <ian.wlsn@googlemail.com>

1. We have been undertaking a survey of the structure which involves operatives working alongside and underneath cleaning and examining/taking samples of concrete and steel that is why Kiddies Corner has been closed although it is now open.

This area was identified as requiring attention in the Harbour Asset survey and this work will identify its actual condition and recommend the scope of repair works required.
    The timing of the works coincides with the best low water tides available during the day at this time of year and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

2. It has always been our intention to have the footbridge installed at the earliest opportunity, I appreciate that the closure during the installation process is an inconvenience to some users. It would not have been practical to delay the installation work as we would have only inconvenienced an alternative group of people.
    Our intention to have the bridge installed at the earliest opportunity has been well known from the time the bridge had to be closed last September. The likely completion date of late July has, similarly, been well publicised.

10. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

typical council no thought for the people that vote you in
    hope they all remember at the next election but probably not
    you will be getting a vertical pier next due to popular demand

11. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

No reply from Mike Cockerill to my email of 8th June but then I'm not that surprised as I don't reside in North Yorkshire so it seems I have no business concerning myself with matters concerning S.B.C.

So can anyone else tell me if S.B.C have any plans to restore both piers to their former glory (ie. the condition that they were in 40-50 years ago when I fished them both on a regular basis as a kid and teenager) ?
    I fear for the future of the piers because it doesn't appear that either the council or Whitby residents want taxpayers money spent on restoration. I can understand why the residents aren't too keen because the majority don't go fishing from them and so they naturally prefer any available funding to be put to use in ways that will benefit them personally, but it isn't just the tackle shops that rely on the influx of holidaymakers and day trippers who come to do a bit of pier fishing.
    As a kid, I got the fishing bug from watching other kids fishing at Kiddies corner. From that day on, family days out were always second rate if Mam & Dad didn't take me and my brother and sister to Whitby so that I could buy a carton of mussels from the tackle shop and fish from Kiddies corner or better still, from the end of one of the piers.
    I suspect that there were many other families who regularly chose Whitby for their day out for the very same reason. Even if only one of their kids wanted to dangle a line into the harbour, the rest of the family felt safe leaving them to it while they did their own thing and spent their money doing it. I reckon Mam & Dad must have spent thousands in Whitby over the years because I persauded them to take us there so that I could spend all my time fishing.
    The point I'm making is that if you multiple the money our family spent in Whitby over the years by the number of other families who visited for the same reason (and it only takes one fishing mad kid), the value to all local businesses is boosted and not just the tackle shops. I'm not sure that this is appreciated when the council spending budget is drafted and the consultation period has passed.

12. bullfish

bullfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sbc seem to want to stop evey body fishing from every where look at the marine drive was one of easist safest venues now it is death trap all the get downs to reighton ect tottaly abandoned all they care about is what expensise they can fiddle. kinderland closed atlantis closed we all live in sea side towns the counsil are trying to stop familes and childern from coming to the coast all they want is a retirement town

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/scarborough-council-mike-cockerill-the-fishermans-friend

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

after a little look on SBC website it appears that while mike cockeril is the harbours officer for sbc ,david chance from whitby is the tourism officer for sbc. :surprise: :surprise:

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

If i am not wrong mr cockeril is from filey and doesnt seem to know whitby very well and how things work here it just looks like what he does seems to against the grain and not fully thought out in the interest of whitby people and the buisnesses in whitby the biggist thing is he wont admit he can ever wrong he is paid servant of the tax payer and should be made accountable instead of looking down on anybody who dares to criticism his way of doing things .

paul.

16. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I had an reply for him saying hi am out of the country at the moment.

17. swordfish820

swordfish820 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

set of c*&^%s thats all i have to say

18. woody

woody New Member

only happens in whitby they want there heads banging together

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Me thinks this topic has ran it,s course :snore:

20. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

suggest to see which ones the biggest w????? your guy meets george dunning our guy
    with the 80 foot vertical pier