1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Cockerill Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Jun 6, 2012.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Incredible!!! What an absolutely disgraceful, narrow minded and arrogant decision to close such a popular tourist attraction slap bang in the middle of one of the busiest periods of the tourist year.
    Mr Cockerill clearly does not have the best interests of Whitby's tourist industry in mind when making ridiculous decisions with timings like this. No-one doubts the vital works are a necessity however I am sure there will be plenty of more suitable opportunities available.
    Come on SBC wake up and get over your blinkered obsession with trying to undermine the wonderful town of Whitby.

2. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

i recieved the same email today off mr cockerill ,at least he had the decency to reply to me

3. Merlin

Merlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It would appear Mr Cockerill could not have known it was half term as it would be obvious non essential work should not be carried out at a time when many young children would be looking to enjoy the childrens corner area, also to close the West pier at a crucial time for local buisnesses in a holiday period would also be ludicrous so Im sure he also gave no thought to this either, he must have also given no consideration to local buisnesses in having no consultauion over the closure and its effects! What I would question is Scarborough Borough councils neglect to consider these issues as they are ultimately responsible for Mr Cockerill's thoughtless neglect of duty, a council has a duty of care to all the people and busnesses within its bounderies and it has clearly shown a lack of consideration and duty of care during what should be an obvious holiday period, this lack of consideration having a direct effect on local business.
    Action sould be taken by Scarborough Borough council to ensure someone with the title "tourism chief" considers holidays before scheduling any further work.

4. wilky

wilky Blenny

I got a reply - same apparently standard one but I got a reply.

Timing of the 'work' might be crap, but it has to be done i guess and hopefully it ensures the place is safe and stays open long term rather than going the same way as east pier.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I really dont get these people who say "It has to be done" or better "Now then never". The opportunities for this non essential work are endless and to do them slap bang in the middle of a very busy week for Whitby is madness. Mr Cockerill, with the title of "Head Of Tourism" is employed to Promote tourism in the borough. If he has no idea when the school holidays and busy periods are then what the hell is he doing in the job in the first place. Ok he might not know everything, but he has the ability to ask. Also why has he not made a call to Whitby Angling Supplies, instead deciding to send them rather condescending and abrupt emails. Again as head of tourism, all he had to do was pick up the phone and say

"Hello Jackie, were planning some work in the town, We recognise it could seriously impact on your business. With this in mind we would like your input on best times to do the work"

or

"Hey Jackie, were really sorry but weve got some work going on, its going to effect your business. If you can give us some figures we will compensate you for loss of earnings"

Its not difficult, and surely as head of tourism he must have some level of communication skills, so why adopt such a condescending tone to valued members of our towns community.

If you or I performed so poorly in our work you can be sure your boss would come down on you like a ton of bricks.

6. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

EMAIL SENT THIS MORNING TO THE MAN IN THE NEWS:

Dear Mr Cockerill,

As a regular visitor to Whitby for more than fifty years, it is with great sadness that I have witnessed an overall general deterioration in the facilities, amenities and tourist attractions, particularly in the highly popular harbour area of the town.

For example, it puzzles me why such a popular holiday resort as Whitby no longer provides access to both of it's iconic piers. I would really like to know your thoughts regarding the reasons for the decline of both Whitby piers. Do you think that mis-management of financial resources has led to the neglect of these iconic landmarks by the body responsible for their upkeep, or is it because the upkeep of the piers has been designated as low priority for too long a period and has therefore not been adequately financed ?

Having read the Whitby Coastal Strategy 2 brochure published by Scarborough Borough Council earlier this year, my hopes were raised that the piers may be considered for restoration to their former glory, but I fully understand that this would rely on sufficient finances being available, and also the overall allocation of available finances following the various consultation exercises highlighted in the brochure.

The brochure invited the public to give their opinions on the council's draft strategy which would be fed back into finalisation of the updated Whitby Coastal Strategy following the 3 month consultation period, with an aim to finalise the document by mid-May 2012, ready for submission to the Environment Agency for their approval.

I would be grateful if you could advise if the finalised document has been approved and if the results are or will be made available to the public.

Best Wishes,

7. kayos

kayos Guest

Get over yourselves.

No doubt it was bad timing, but this thread is just making a mountain out of a molehill. Whitby tourism isn't all about fishing. Claims of 50 to 100 people wanting to use the self styled "Kiddies Corner" sounds exaggeration in the extreme. If that were true it would be shut forever due to health and safety reasons. I have never seen more than 15 people on that small section of harbour, because that is about all it can hold.

The vast majority of tourists that visit Whitby, at least 95%, do not come for the fishing, so while it could well have been handled better it is hardly the end of the Whitby as a tourist resort

Also if a council was to compensate every business who might be impacted by essential works your council tax would go through the roof. What a ridiculous notion.

I come to Whitby for the fishing but I understand that most do not. Get those blinkers off and look at the bigger picture.

Devil's advocate !

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The ansers the mr cockerill comes out with doesnt quite add up does he not know that every 2 weeeks the tides are fairly big and the water will allwatys leave and expose any thing the council needs to look at kiddies corner you dont need a 5.7 tide to look at concrete at kiddies corner that is utter rubbish but if you havent a clue what you are doing then you wouldnt know what really makes me think what the hell is going on with tax payers money and what i would say crazy was when the survey was done on peirs a few years ago when the contractors who had divers down doing a survey on the peirs divers were in harbour half down the west peir below the bandstand and had a standby boat there the divers they were doing this when the tide was up when if they had waited till the tide had gone out they could have examined the peir at low water i just couldnt belive what i was seeing .

paul.

9. Baramundi Bob

Im not talking about those people who dont come for the fishing, Im talking about the impact mad decisions like this have on those who do come for the fishing and more specifically on a small business trying to make a living for a nice hard working couple who have come to live in our community at a time when business is slow anyway due to people generally having less cash in their pockets. A little more consideration for these types of people is required both from yourself and from our local council. So You get over yourself !!

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

This man is a total idiot who the hell does he think he is the gazette wants his words and a picture of all the dads and ths kids fishing on kiddies corner you cant belive his arrogance he is clueless and should not be in the job he is in .

paul.

11. Baramundi Bob

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/west-pier-footbridge-by-jackie-greaves?replytocom=38168#comment-38168

12. skylark

skylark Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is This The Same Mike Cockerill who was involved with "North Sea Winches" at Eastfield? If So He Aint Changed Much
    Arrogant to the Last...............

13. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I cant believe they would close kiddies corner when kids are off school, and the timing for the repair of the west pier is a effin joke are they totally stupid i hate SBC bunch of corrupt tw@ts

14. joemc

joemc Blenny

Outrageous from beginning to end!!!!!

15. BigFly

BigFly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

1. We have been undertaking a survey of the structure which involves operatives working alongside and underneath cleaning and examining/taking samples of concrete and steel that is why Kiddies Corner has been closed although it is now open.

This area was identified as requiring attention in the Harbour Asset survey and this work will identify its actual condition and recommend the scope of repair works required.
    The timing of the works coincides with the best low water tides available during the day at this time of year and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

2. It has always been our intention to have the footbridge installed at the earliest opportunity, I appreciate that the closure during the installation process is an inconvenience to some users. It would not have been practical to delay the installation work as we would have only inconvenienced an alternative group of people.
    Our intention to have the bridge installed at the earliest opportunity has been well known from the time the bridge had to be closed last September. The likely completion date of late July has, similarly, been well publicised.

Mike Cockerill
    :sad:

16. jethro

jethro New Member

Fair play to you for coming on the forum and giving your explanatio, but if you read the thread Not only are people upset about the closing and timing of the closure, but what seems to be your total lack of compassion towards businesses that it affected.I honestly believe that if you had gone about things in the correct manner i.e. a note to Whitby Angling Supplies instructing them of the possibility of lost business, then the council's actions would not have seemed so terrible.
    I find by reading threads that SBC seem hell bent on running Whitby down and once again you did yourselves no favours in the way you went about things.
    You can see that there is a lot of strong feelings against SBC so surely now would be a good time to wake up and realise that Whitby is probably the jewel in SBC's crown. Dont let it get tarnished.

Jethro

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

You can please some of the people all of the time , and some of the people some of the time ,
    but you can,t please all of the people all of the time , :yes:

i suppose that,s how it go,s in life , all in all not to bad an outcome ,
    and the bridge will be in place for this winters codding , :cool:

18. JG

JG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for your support harrythecod and did you want a fishing tackle shop to buy your bait in?

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

for EVRYBODY,S information, i WAS AT THE PROTEST ABOUT THE PIER CLOSURE, enough siad me think,s

and now i revert you back to my earlier post, were you :suspious:

PS, i do use your tackle shop when i visit whitby from far flung stockton on Tees.

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

That is a bit harsh on a very well respected member who does a lot for the forum and other members !!

Come on guys we need to stick together here, every single member surely only wants what is best for Whitby and the surrounding coastline. We do not need or want personal attacks on each other !