1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Cockerill Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Jun 6, 2012.

1. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Re: Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

I have a feeling Mr Cockerill will be off work in the near future with RSI after he types his responses to our questions regarding many matters in SBC jurisdiction!
    He has an e mail from myself to act upon :yes:

2. Tubaluk

Tubaluk New Member

Email sent.

regards,

Bill

3. pippen

pippen Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It's open just seen about 20 kids down the with there perents having the time ov the lives

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

1. Had they sought advice they could have found out that any set of springs (every fortnight) gives access to those mud flats. Choosing the ones slap bang in the middle of the first school holidays of the summer is a very poor decision indeed, but we have come to expect nothing better from Mr Cockerill. They would of had 3 more sets of opportunities to access the mud flats down there before the next school holidays. Its the lack of communication on these matters that is infuriating. Why not seek advice from those of us who actually know the harbour better than anyone.

2. Worthy of note is that there are the biggest ebb tides of the year usually around the autumn equinox when all the families have gone home.

3. It has also been noted that noone has worked in that area at all today, so thats one day lost. To a business like Whitby Angling Supplies that's business they can ill afford to loose in the current economic climate..

4. The period of access to the mud is roughly 3 hours over low tide. Families wish to fish 3 hours either side of High Tide.

On behalf of Jackie and Martin at Whitby Angling Supplies, I would like to thank those of you who have given your valuable support, either by response here or through your emails to Mr Cockerill. Im sure they are very grateful to you all.

5. Baramundi Bob

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-18292369

Another example of just what our wonderful council are capable of. This had to happen 4 times before they stopped doing it :

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/sbc-versus-nature

6. Baramundi Bob

Just got this through via email. So to those people who have helped. Thankyou !!, as you can see people do appreciate it. I doubt Scarborough Council will ever admit it, but if Kiddies corner is now open, then Im sure this is due to the emails you have sent them.

7. boonylocks

boonylocks Guest

I find this absolutely disgusting. I`m seriously considering never visiting scarborough borough and spending my money there ever again. I`ve just sent this to mr cockerill

Mr Cockerill

It was with deep anxiety that I discovered the concil has taken the decision to close "kiddies corner" in Whitby. As I`m sure you are aware this is an extremely popular little area of Whitby, one which provides hours of pleasure for family groups visiting the village of Whitby. Many tourists (myself included) visit Whitby SPECIFICALLY to take their kids fishing here. I would like to take this opprotunity to ask WHY?

Why was this decision taken with no consultation?

Was the impact on the local economy considered? If so what was the outcome of this consideration?

Was the impact on both the towns and local councils reputation considered?

WHEN will these important leisure areas of Whitby (I also refer to the harbour piers) be re-opened?

I both anticipate and expect your personal reply.

Yours

Lee Boon

8. Baramundi Bob

Thanks Lee.

Please keep posting up your emails and any reponses you get. I hope Mr Cockerill is more courteous in his replies than he was to Jackie when she dared to email him about the pier closure. Now all eyes are on him I expect he will be especially polite, or he will do the usual thing and refuse to reply.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice to hear that its back in use tonight. I suppose its easy for 'real' anglers to dismiss Kiddies Corner but you've only got to try and have a chat with Dan in Whitby Angling to see how many come in during that time asking for crab lines, buckets, spare nets, bait....and two of the long established fishmongers also do 'crab bait' which they wouldn't if people didn't buy it.
    Commercial aspects aside- its also the safest place for them and it sometimes sends a shiver up my spine when you see kinds leaning procariously leaning over the Fish Pier, which is where they would have been today!

10. boonylocks

boonylocks Guest

My replies have been very polite, and to be honest I think the guy could have a valid point. He seems to be very safety orientated - bith for the tourists and for the workers assessing the safety of crab city. Imagine the impact that a group of kids drowning because the structure collapses would have on whitby and then compare it the action thats been taken,,,,,,,,no comparison

11. Jimmyorange1980

Jimmyorange1980 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Pencil pushing, arrogant, out of touch back room b@$*!#?s. I'm 32, live in redcar, passionate about fishing, Whitby and the local area. My first experiences fishing where at kiddies corner in Whitby. Never had the privelage of using the west peer for my fishing because of the options locally, but im aware of its importance and location and had planned to visit in the coming weeks. Closing it at the start of the season is insane, could quite easily have been sorted march/april/may.

12. Tubaluk

Tubaluk New Member

Reply from Mike Cockerill:

Good Evening

We are undertaking a survey of the structure which involves operatives working alongside and underneath cleaning and examining / taking samples of concrete and steel.
    In order to afford protection for the workmen and the public the area is closed for general access which will be today(Although it has now reopened) and tomorrow,Thursday and whilst we have signed for Friday as well I would hope we are complete before then.

This area was identified as requiring attention in the Harbour Asset survey and this work will identify its actual condition and recommend the scope of repair works required.
    The timing of the works coincides with the best low water tides available during the day at this time of year and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The above is information provided by the relevant Borough Engineer

Regards
    Mike Cockerill

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

if its only going to be closed for two days then there not a right lot we can do lets just wait and see what the out come of the survey is then be ready to give S B C & cockerill a kick up the arse

14. Baramundi Bob

As already stated. I dont doubt the importance of the work. Its the timing and lack of communication that is the problem. Next week, or the week after would have been much more appropriate, next winter or last winter would have been even better as noone uses kiddies corner in winter. But not slap bang in the middle of the school holidays when families expect to use the area.

If the issue is one of "SAFETY" to anglers then why is it open again tonight. That's a smoke screen, If the area was in danger of collapse it would be closed - period !!!. Everyone loves the safety card. I dont believe a word of it.

Whitby is a holiday resort and people expect to use the facilities. All Mr Cockerill has to do is actually ask the people in the know, and not the members of the Harbour Board, who actually know very little. Surely as head of Tourism he would want to encourage tourists not send them packing or put them at risk like the 2 dozen people I saw trying to fish off the floating pontoon opposite the big Angel this lunchtime.

15. boonylocks

boonylocks Guest

Safety is such a huge and indiscriminate issue that people in positions of safter responsibility cannot afford to take risks. They also cannot afford to waste money doing these surveys until they are required. Seriously - imagine the areas they COULD close off peak to check they are OK. In retrospect - hats off to the council for having the nuts to do this when it was required. Don`t forget the workers carrying out the inspection work need to be safe as well.

16. JG

JG Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

From: enquiries@whitbyanglingsupplies.com [enquiries@whitbyanglingsupplies.com]
    Sent: 06 June 2012 12:33
    To: Cllr.Mike Cockerill
    Cc: Brian Bennett; Cllr.David Chance; Cllr.Alf Abbott; cllr.joe.plant@northyorks.gov.uk
    Subject: Closure of Whitby's Kiddy Corner in Half Term

Dear Mr Cockerill

So this morning at 7am Kiddy Corner in Whitby is closed for three days. It would appear that you are stopping every fishing opportunity in Whitby. It is starting to look personal.
    The sign says 'Work in progress' except there is not a workman in sight. Even at 11am this morning there was still not a workman in sight. Well that'll make a good picture for the press.
    Would you care to explain why this needs to be done in the half term holiday?
    Jackie Greaves

Good Evening Jackie
    We are undertaking a survey of the structure which involves operatives working alongside and underneath cleaning and examining / taking samples of concrete and steel.
    In order to afford protection for the workmen and the public the area is closed for general access which will be today(Although it has now reopened) and tomorrow,Thursday and whilst we have signed for Friday as well I would hope we are complete before then.

This area was identified as requiring attention in the Harbour Asset survey and this work will identify its actual condition and recommend the scope of repair works required.
    The timing of the works coincides with the best low water tides available during the day at this time of year and apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    The above is information provided by the relevant Borough Engineer
    Regards
    Mike Cockerill

Dear Mr Cockerill

I can see absolutely no reason why this needed to be scheduled during the half term holiday. This is not urgent work. Once again your planning is absolutely horrific and your timing causes the worst posible upset for Whitby people, children, holiday makers and businesses. You do it every time.
    We take this as a personal attack on us, our town and our business.
    Today Kiddy corner was closed for seven hours during which NOBODY attended and no work was carried out any form at all. So why was it closed today?
    Jackie Greaves

17. Steve

Steve Rockling

or in reality 1.5 to 2 years.
    abit like the east pier bridge really. oh no thats 12 years now isnt it

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitbys-east-pier-bridge-still-unrepaired

18. Baramundi Bob

Says it all Jackie. Mr Cockerill couldn't run a knees up in a brewery, and that's putting it politely. Head of Tourism or head up his backside ?

19. Baramundi Bob

Dont forget the lighthouses

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-west-pier-lighthouse-closed-to-the-public

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitbys-east-pier-lighthouse-will-remain-closed

20. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26810