1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Cockerill Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Further to the recent closure of the West Pier detailed here, Scarborough Borough Council have now closed kiddies corner( one of the safest places to take your little boy/girl fishing in the harbour) for the rest of the half term break.

Obviously, all at Whitby Angling Supplies are deeply concerned at the effect this will have on our business and on tourism within the town which relies heavily on seasonal custom, especially at busy times like School holidays.

For those of you who are interested, here is an email exchange between Whitby Angling Supplies and Scarborough Borough Council. I am sure you will share our concerns and frustrations of Mike Cockerill And Scarborough Borough Council.

[​IMG]

2. pippen

pippen Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: SBC CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

It probily closed cos off the big high tides

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: SBC CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

We have had big high tides since kiddies corner was built. Its never been closed before and it wasn't closed yesterday when I was on there. Timing is a £ucking joke to say the very least. Will Scarborough Borough Council be compensating the local businesses effected ? I spent £10 on gear to go crabbing with my friends kids, there was another 50-100 kids all on there with crab lines. Where will they go now ??

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Scarborough Borough Council CLOSE KIDDIES CORNER!

http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/whitby-town-is-falling-down

5. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

SBC = joke

6. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

has anyone tried getting in touch with the t@@@ers to c why its shut? or how long

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Sorry lads- my fault.
    Knew I shouldn't have gone for a swim through the harbour in my shark finned wetsuit.

8. crabpot

crabpot Blenny

why oh why is it always whitby, I feel sorry for you traders at this time of year, you seem to be always losing out because of these stupid ideas.
    First the piers and now kiddies corner, how many off us started our sport/hobby there because I did.

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

its an absolute joke....or should i say the tourism chief Mike Cockerill is a joke.

he should be made to resign with these rash decisions. Does he do any research into the town busiest tourist season and attractions? i think not!

i cant understand what work is needed to be done.

also there hasnt been anyone working on kiddies corner at all today.

10. rodbender

rodbender Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not very clever is it!

Some herbert :clown: always spoils the enjoyment of others & likelihoods come to that, all because they cannot ask what sort of disruption it is likely to cause the people that use it!

Probably couldn't be arsed to find out if people actually still use Kiddies corner.

I bet it turns out to be because of the Olympics, every thing is to do with the Olympics LOL :yes:

11. Jacko1967

Jacko1967 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

email sent as requested in recent PM, let's see if there's any reply from them

12. allthegearnoidea

allthegearnoidea New Member

Another case of some pencil pushing know it all making decisions that effect other people while meaning nothing to them "I'm alright Jack stuff you" the only time they will listen is just before the elections ;-(

13. deece1981

deece1981 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hey guys,

I have not fished this area as a child / adult nor do i have any children myself, but to keep a sport alive such as sea fishing and bring through a new generation of fishermen (people to be PC) is vital. We already have too many young ones who would rather catch fish on a nintendo wii than experience our local coastline and now it looks like another years worth of kiddies on the Xbox, .....Why now!!!!

an

14. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does anyone have any ideas on why and how long it is to be closed for. I remember using boots/kiddies corner to fish for billet and flatties when I was a kid and wasnt allowed onto the piers, it was seen as the safe and easy place to fish for the locals and visitors children alike.

I continue to be puzzled by our insane council and have no idea why they seem to be launching an attack on the towns angling businesses, this is most likley not the case but it sure as hell is begining to appear that way.

I will write to our friend mr cockerill and see if he has any insight, although I doubt very much that I will recive a reply as they seem to be of a mind that they know best....by the looks of things they base this mindset on little or no research, understanding of the tourist seasons and how best to avoid disruption. And outright ignorance of what this towns assets are and how to handle them.

Ah the joys of living in a town governed by imbeciles

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

it says on the traffic cone, till friday

16. Benq23

Ah cheers bud, never spotted that :embarrass:

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, it's only closed for 3 days though unless it's urgent probably would of made more sense to do the work next week. Spawney Dave made a good point, worth just giving them a call just to find out what is going on. Then everyone can react to the facts :yes:

18. Benq23

Indeed, it must be a total ballache for the angling shops

19. Jacko1967

Jacko1967 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Dear Mr Noble

We are undertaking a survey of the structure which involves operatives working alongside and underneath cleaning and examining / taking samples of concrete and steel.
    In order to afford protection for the workmen and the public the area is closed for general access which will be today(Although it has now reopened) and tomorrow,Thursday and whilst we have signed for Friday as well I would hope we are complete before then.

This area was identified as requiring attention in the Harbour Asset survey and this work will identify its actual condition and recommend the scope of repair works required.
    The timing of the works coincides with the best low water tides available during the day at this time of year and apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The above is information provided by the relevant Borough Engineer

Regards
    Mike Cockerill

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that Jack.

Sounds ok to me, so really it's probably only going to be closed for 1.5 to 2 days.